Author Topic: P-38 vs. Spitfire  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« on: August 09, 2004, 06:27:56 AM »
This is a relatively coalt fight with a Spitfire.  Not sure it's a Mk IX or a V I'm fighting though.  

The Spitfire has a slight altitude and energy advantage but that plays into the strengths of my plane and I'm fully able to take advantage of that.

Don't know who I was facing or whether or not he's good but this is a good example how you can turn with a Spitfire.

P-38 vs. Spitfire

ack-ack
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 02:47:29 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 07:54:57 AM »
The link seems to be broken.

DmdMax

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 08:13:30 AM »
:(   Unable to download ... link faulty????!!!!   :(

Happy1  :D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 02:47:48 PM »
Link fixed.

ack-ack

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
Re: P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 03:56:44 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack

Don't know who I was facing or whether or not he's good but this is a good example how you can turn with a Spitfire.

ack-ack

aKAK a 38 wont out turn a spitfire. Altho I out turn spitfires it aint the plane, its the pilot. I DONT out turn the well flown spittys.

its the pilot.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 05:14:43 PM »
Get them below 150mph so they enter into a stall fight and you'll have the edge.  

ack-ack

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 07:16:41 PM »
Get them below 150mph so they enter into a stall fight and you'll have the edge.  

ack-ack

And if the P-38 is at 150 MPH you'll be hitting the floor..

Why not reword it to,  if the Spit is at 150 MPH,  and my P38 is doing 250 MPH and i enter a turnfight,  then only then will i be able to out turn him..  Co Energy state there is no way a 38 can out turn a Spit with equal pilots at the controls..

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 05:13:37 AM »
Originally posted by WldThing

Now thaTs a funny, a 38 will loop at 120.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 06:09:29 AM »

You can loop the P-38L in this game with as little speed as 120mphIAS.  The flaps give the P-38 amazing lift in this game and with the revamp of the flight model, the P-38's low/stall speed handling characteristics improved.

Take up the P-38 and get into some stall fights with Spitfires and N1K2s.  And when I mean stall fights, I mean real stall fights were your speed in the P-38 will never get higher than 120mphIAS and frequently is below 100mphIAS for most of the fight.  A Spitfire or a N1K2 will start to stall out as soon as they dip below 100mphIAS, mostly due to the torque at those speeds.  While you will still be able to maneuver at those speeds, the N1K2 or Spitfire will be forced to break off and try to extend to regain energy.  Basically, I'm just taking the stuff Lowell discovered when he dueled that Spitfire and applying it in here.

Now the problem that arises is if the Spitfire you're playing with isn't dumb enough to get into a stall fight with you and keeps his speed up between the 150mph-250mphIAS area, where he will easily out turn your P-38 if you're dumb enough to engage him.

I'm also not saying that a P-38 will win 100% of the time in a stall fight against a N1K2 or a Spitfire.  The ultimate out come is up to both of the pilots but as far as planes go, the P-38 does have the edge in a stall fight.  So if you do find yourself in such an engagement with a Spitfire or a N1K2, be aggressive and maintain the vertical in the stall fight so you can use your rudders to swing that nose down in the turns and work the flaps between 3/4 and full and you will have a chance of walking away the victor.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 06:12:05 AM by Ack-Ack »

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 03:25:59 PM »

And when I mean stall fights, I mean real stall fights were your speed in the P-38 will never get higher than 120mphIAS and frequently is below 100mphIAS for most of the fight.

Im sure i know what a real stall fight is,  but i guarantee upon equal pilot skills,  a P-38 cant out turn a Spit 9 or a Niki..  Even in a stall fight..

I'm also not saying that a P-38 will win 100% of the time in a stall fight against a N1K2 or a Spitfire. The ultimate out come is up to both of the pilots but as far as planes go, the P-38 does have the edge in a stall fight. So if you do find yourself in such an engagement with a Spitfire or a N1K2, be aggressive and maintain the vertical in the stall fight so you can use your rudders to swing that nose down in the turns and work the flaps between 3/4 and full and you will have a chance of walking away the victor.

Now here,  when your indicating using vertical technique in a stall fight,  thats quite impossible if your on the deck..  Id like to see a P-38 pilot engage a Niki Pilot on the deck,  using your "Vertical Stall Fighting Technique" might work when your at a 10k altitude,   but it surely wont work at the deck..  Perfectionist as you are in the high alt fights this may have lead you to believe the outcome of an alt fight shall be the same below,  sadly thats is a false misconception..  Different rules do apply,  as i do know the P-38 below would soon end up cannon fodder.

And again,  upon equal piloting skills.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 03:40:29 PM »
Id like to see a P-38 pilot engage a Niki Pilot on the deck,  using your "Vertical Stall Fighting Technique" might work when your at a 10k altitude,   but it surely wont work at the deck..  Perfectionist as you are in the high alt fights this may have lead you to believe the outcome of an alt fight shall be the same below,  sadly thats is a false misconception..  Different rules do apply,  as i do know the P-38 below would soon end up cannon fodder.

Fly the P-38 some before you make your assumptions and I'm not talking about a hop or two.

ack-ack

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 03:52:02 PM »
Fly the P-38 some before you make your assumptions and I'm not talking about a hop or two.

ack-ack

a 38 will loop and loop and loop at 120,
even on the deck.  plus if you taket he fight around to the right the torque works against the single engine fiters. except yaks tiffs etc with reverse torque.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Re: Re: P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 06:22:09 PM »
Originally posted by X2Lee
aKAK a 38 wont out turn a spitfire. Altho I out turn spitfires it aint the plane, its the pilot. I DONT out turn the well flown spittys.

its the pilot.

Exactly X2lee , same applies in the hellcat. Can outurn the mediocre ones, but the good ones will do you up with ease.
I come from a land downunder

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 07:16:02 PM »

ack-ack

Woops,  i must be a noob...  Pardon my nonsense..

If you had any ACM common sense you would have realized that ACM is the same throughout every plane selection..  Its not a requirement for me to be a P-38 pilot to realize the capabilities of that certain plane,  it's knowledge of fighting them and flying in them over the course of 4 years that leads to the real understanding..

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 07:17:27 PM »
Originally posted by X2Lee
a 38 will loop and loop and loop at 120,
even on the deck.  plus if you taket he fight around to the right the torque works against the single engine fiters. except yaks tiffs etc with reverse torque.

How about i take a Niki and you take a P-38 at a 2k Merge and we go into loops at 120 MPH,  and we will see who can loop longer?