Author Topic: P-38 vs. Spitfire  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Re: Re: P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 07:35:18 PM »
Originally posted by Redd
Exactly X2lee , same applies in the hellcat. Can outurn the mediocre ones, but the good ones will do you up with ease.

I hope you're not trying to say the F6F will out turn a P-38.  If you are, ask Mathman if they can or can't :c)

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 07:36:25 PM »
Originally posted by WldThing
Woops,  i must be a noob...  Pardon my nonsense..

If you had any ACM common sense you would have realized that ACM is the same throughout every plane selection..  Its not a requirement for me to be a P-38 pilot to realize the capabilities of that certain plane,  it's knowledge of fighting them and flying in them over the course of 4 years that leads to the real understanding..

Yep, just like fighting and flying for over 10 years gives me an understanding...

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2004, 07:41:50 PM »
I didnt realize we were counting AW days too,  make that 9 then ...

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 08:00:46 PM »
Lookin' at the film.. That spit pilot was a newb.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 08:48:40 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
I hope you're not trying to say the F6F will out turn a P-38.  If you are, ask Mathman if they can or can't :c)

ack-ack

wasn't actually what I was saying, was talking about hellcat V Spit , but the same applies to F6-f vs 38 . those two are pretty close so it will come down to who's flying them and how much variation in pilot skill

If the pilots were of absolutely equal skill I would actually probably back the 38 , it's vertical looping performance and E retention are too good

But I k/d pretty well against P-38's and you probably K/D pretty well against hellcats

There is a vast difference  between a good 38 flier probably, and an average one , possibly to do with some of it's quirks.
I come from a land downunder

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2004, 08:55:14 PM »
How much of this film are you guys able to view?  My viewer crashes part way into the film.  :-(

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2004, 09:05:48 PM »
wouldn't fuel load play into this as well, say the 38 is near 25% and the spit is 50% or even 75%, which would get the best performance over the other? there is alot of variables that come into play in the MA,  to say exactly or not that it was the plane, or the skill, etc......it was not a staged fight like in a duel.

I don't fly spits in the MA, so I only have experience from DA or  TA in it,  but alot of people try to fight with less fuel 50% or less, maybe some 75% for climb out,

I seen some awesome stuff from all types of planes, I always wondered how much fuel load had an effect on how well they could manuever, I am a F4U flyer and I have to take  1 DT then start fight with 100% then at 50% or 40% ( less than 40% have to use throttle control and idle off)  is time to RTB or it ain't gonna make it ,  how many of you fly your planes between 100% to 50%  fuel loaded, and not less...to me is a whole different  aspect then fighting less loads, unless you are actually on a perch.
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2004, 09:18:20 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
wouldn't fuel load play into this as well, say the 38 is near 25% and the spit is 50% or even 75%, which would get the best performance over the other? there is alot of variables that come into play in the MA,  to say exactly or not that it was the plane, or the skill, etc......it was not a staged fight like in a duel.

I don't fly spits in the MA, so I only have experience from DA or  TA in it,  but alot of people try to fight with less fuel 50% or less, maybe some 75% for climb out,

I seen some awesome stuff from all types of planes, I always wondered how much fuel load had an effect on how well they could manuever, I am a F4U flyer and I have to take  1 DT then start fight with 100% then at 50% or 40% ( less than 40% have to use throttle control and idle off)  is time to RTB or it ain't gonna make it ,  how many of you fly your planes between 100% to 50%  fuel loaded, and not less...to me is a whole different  aspect then fighting less loads, unless you are actually on a perch.

I always fly with either a 75% for 100% fuel load and while it might make my plane somewhat sluggish in certain maneuvers, I don't think having a heavy fuel load as hindered my ability to throw the sucker around.

But fuel weight can be a factor but I don't think it's a mitigating one.

ack-ack

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 11:26:28 PM »
Most of the time when I beat Spitfires and N1K2s in my 38 in co-e engagements, I attribute it to differences in pilot skill.  I even have a film where I win a 2 on 1 engagement with a N1K and a Spit on the deck, but I always chalk it up to lack of experience on their part.  I wouldn't give myself good odds against a good pilot flying a N1K or a Spit V, because I know that if I was flying the Spit V against a clone of myself flying the 38, I'd win most of the time.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2004, 01:55:59 AM »
Spitfires got flaps too, most pilots dont use them but they really help if someone trys for a stall fight.

Offline CYLONN

• Zinc Member
p38
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2004, 02:00:06 AM »
The P38 was capable of turn-fighting the Zero, in the hands of a capable pilot.

The stall speed, if my dvd is right, is @70mph.  That pilot seems to know his chit. Check out the "Roaring Glory" series of dvd's at Amazon.  Anyone who's played this game for a while would know better than to doubt AckAck's ability in the 38.

Lobsta

Ack Ack, any chance of some instruction in the 38 sometime?
I fly for BISH, I know I know, but I would really like to learn how to fly that plane well.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 vs. N1K2
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2004, 07:32:55 AM »
Again, not saying this is a 100% way of killing a N1K2 but if you find yourself forced into a turn fight with one, fighting them like this can help you walk away.  The key is using the strengths of the P-38 to take advantage of a weakness with the other guy's plane.  Even with pilots of similiar skills, victory is often brought on by the one that can take advantage of his plane's strengths.

For some reason, the stall buzzer doesn't go off in the film.  I guess that's kind of good since it was pretty much clicking non-stop.

P-38 vs. N1K2

ack-ack

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2004, 08:35:18 AM »
Spit9's aren't all that hard to kill in a turn fight. But like Wld said, if you get equal pilots in both planes the table starts to turn. SpitV's... Well thats a whole nother ball game. If you are going to turn you better to it fast and finish the job just as quick if you are the 38. There is no 38 stick that is going to get me down to 100mph in a spitV and live to tell about it.

The 38 performs well at low speeds but it doesnt do it as well as the spitV with full flaps and some rudder. NO way no how.

Niks, well again they are another story. They arent that great in the vert. Not as good as a 38 is when its light enough esp.

All are  tough planes to beat. The spit9 now, once you learn to use the throt turns almost as well as the 5 and with flaps (if you can keep it in flaps) its a deadly stall fighter.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2004, 12:47:43 PM »
"Basically, I'm just taking the stuff Lowell discovered when he dueled that Spitfire and applying it in here. "

Are you talking about the same Lowell and the same duel where he dived to insanely high speed right before the merge and the Spit didn't, hence giving him a massive advantage from the outset?  

P-38 can do a lot, no doubt there, but pilot skill and initial advantage plays a big part too.  Your average pilot will get more out of a Spit or N1K in a fight than a P-38.

J_A_B

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2004, 03:43:54 PM »
Originally posted by WldThing
Woops,  i must be a noob...  Pardon my nonsense..

If you had any ACM common sense you would have realized that ACM is the same throughout every plane selection..  Its not a requirement for me to be a P-38 pilot to realize the capabilities of that certain plane,  it's knowledge of fighting them and flying in them over the course of 4 years that leads to the real understanding..

Ive fought u wild and I know yer quite the stick. But yer showing
a lack of knowledge about the 38. the 38 WILL loop at 120 endlessly and it will turn at 80 knots will flaps out without losing alt. And if you take the fight against the other planes torque
a nik aint that hard to beat. A spit is harder.

I still think most of its the pilot quality over the plane tho.