Author Topic: ENY disablements  (Read 10348 times)

Offline Skeksis

• Zinc Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2004, 04:07:46 PM »
Originally posted by Alpo
In a word... yes.

Okay.  This is just as silly as the people playing MechWarrior online complaining because some players favored the 'missile boats'.  Then they went on to complain that too many people were using 'laser boats'.  Then they went on to complain that people were going for leg shots.

Although some hordes can be fun fights, for instance just yesterday Kev, Jackal and friends (guessing 20+) brought Hurricanes raining down on A25.  Got two of them before I ran out of E in that mess ;)  Radio chatter was great.

I must be playing the wrong game.  Being on the receiving end of 20 of anything is not my idea of fun.  ;)

Themed raids are always a hoot... (ie.  Stukas to HQ on the deck)

We haven't sone anything like this in a long time so maybe this will be an improvement in things.  I just can't shake the feeling that this roll out should have been announced as something other than to keep us all playing fair.

Skeksis

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
ENY disablements
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2004, 04:14:55 PM »
Originally posted by Skeksis

One of my squadies said it best.  When a side is winning then the side that is losing *should* be at a disadvantage.  This is a simulation of a war and in war no one stops to level out the playing field for the losing side.

Skeksis

Actually this is not true, and I think that is where a lot of people get lost with the concept of what Hitech is tryign to do.  Winning the war is not the primary objective, having an enjoyable (profitable) game people around the world can log into and out of during a 24 hour day is.

Offline Skeksis

• Zinc Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2004, 04:43:55 PM »
Originally posted by Zanth
Actually this is not true, and I think that is where a lot of people get lost with the concept of what Hitech is tryign to do.  Winning the war is not the primary objective, having an enjoyable (profitable) game people around the world can log into and out of during a 24 hour day is.

Then why bother keeping any kind of scores at all?

Skeksis

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2004, 05:05:02 PM »
Okay, I am really tired of this kind of thinking.  Too many pilots feel that because they can do it, everyone can do it and it just isn't so.  Some of us need training (maybe too much of it) and that is one thing that seems isshort supply.
Skeksis

Not a problem Skeksis, that's what trainers are for. Should you and any in your squad want to work on anything, send me an e-mail to Widewing@flyaceshigh.com telling me what evening you wish to get together and we can meet in the TA and see if we can help you improve in any area you think needs work.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2004, 05:25:18 PM »
I worry about some people, to the them "country" is pretty real.   It is so real for some, they might actually shoot a real gun at some others if they saw them.  Not much you can do for these sort, the internet is a wierd place.

that's why I ALWAYS unload the mossberg 12 ga before I log on

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2004, 05:26:56 PM »

Skeksis

Many people don't find a game enjoyable unless there is a "score" of some kind. It's human nature.

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2004, 05:27:33 PM »

Because it's a game.  In a game you keep score.  Keeping score doesn't make AH a war, or even a simulation of a war.

But if you still want to fly the same plane, have your CO to switch the whole squad to another country, for a night.

BTW, you might want to spend a little time in the TA or the DA, if you feel you are not skilled.  It might make the game more fun.  Not trying to slam on ya, honest...it's just that you keep saying how bad you are.  This is really an orthogonal issue to what planes are available to you...if you suck in one, you'll likely suck in another.  Knowing something about fighting makes the fight more fun, whatever you fly.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 05:29:40 PM by phookat »

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2004, 05:56:34 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
Group therapy for the AH player base is not gonna happen.  Airhead simply does not have the time to take us all for a walk on the beach.  We are not going to get together for a nice hand hold and reaffirm our love for one another.

You're still missing the point.

However, your statement is fair evidence of the problems.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #233 on: August 17, 2004, 06:20:47 PM »
Is this some zen monk teaching seminar or is your point a secret?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #234 on: August 17, 2004, 07:04:17 PM »

Skeksis

because without points, the game would be well...

wait for it

pointless?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2004, 07:31:04 PM »
OK, look ... I'll try to keep this short ...

I keep seeing people say that AH is a video game, or a combat simulation game and so it should be about hardship, and on and on like that. Well ... that's only half of it - at best. AH is a COMMUNITY that interacts through an online game. That's what has kept this bunch of people more or less together since 1987. The game we play changes, the names do not. And when people get together at Con's, they talk about scenario missions, and great dogfights with the guy they fought against, and the 50-Stuka raid on Bish HQ, stuff like that ... I hardly ever hear a whine at a Con', the pettyness of the MA and the BBS vanish. The players ARE the game.

And, as such, you guys have the power to change the odds and style of play in the arena. By recruiting, by getting organized, by doing wacky missions that let your side have fun (as opposed to the boredom of field vultching), by actively teaching your people to fly better so you can meet superior odds and beat them.

"Group therapy" is asking someone else to solve your (the community's) problem. Whining for a balancing patch is the same thing.

Or, look at it this way. Did HT create the MA environment where players are so dead-set against switching countries? No. Did HT create the MA environment where hardly anyone uses the mission system, preferring instead to vultch? No. The players did that - so it's up to the players to outgrow it or change it or just plain live with it.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #236 on: August 17, 2004, 08:01:40 PM »

Then we have a lot of educaton to do with the flying masses... and might want to look at the end of perkies for reset.. or do away with reset all together... the ideas of indestructable fields etc.  Because right now... landgrab and reset ARE the underlying theme to the MA.

In the CT where land grab isn't the issue.. you see people swapping all the time to even up sides.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2004, 08:32:36 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
...Did HT create the MA environment where players are so dead-set against switching countries? No. Did HT create the MA environment where hardly anyone uses the mission system, preferring instead to vultch? No. The players did that - so it's up to the players to outgrow it or change it or just plain live with it.

If you think this community can solve its own problems, then I think you don't know the AH MA community very well at all.

It's not like I am a shining example either.  I just want to have fun.  If HT can change some things up and make it more fun, then that is a good thing.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #238 on: August 17, 2004, 08:36:44 PM »
Dok, I belive the real answere is it is a combination of both.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
ENY disablements
« Reply #239 on: August 17, 2004, 08:49:02 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo

Or, look at it this way. Did HT create the MA environment where players are so dead-set against switching countries? No. Did HT create the MA environment where hardly anyone uses the mission system, preferring instead to vultch? No. The players did that - so it's up to the players to outgrow it or change it or just plain live with it.

Dok...

I do know the 'community' of which you speak. Geez but I loved that community. People didn't just care about their squads or countries, they cared about the game as well. Unfortnately, as these things grow, that sort of community becomes harder to maintain.

Funny thing is, the game is really the same as back in the late '80's and early '90's. It's the players that have changed. For me, I see a lot more people looking for instant gratification...at anyone ELSE's expense. Perhaps it's is just a function of age, but, I see too many people with a McDonald's/microwave oven  mentality...."give it to me now or I will go some place else".

Oh well, on the upside...it doesn't cost $6 per hour to play anymore :).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."