Author Topic: Changing Tack, Bush Says Terror War Winnable  (Read 880 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Changing Tack, Bush Says Terror War Winnable
« on: August 31, 2004, 07:42:08 PM »
Not sure about you but stating "War on Terror is winnable" or even declaring a war on terror itself is very confusing. Who exactly is Bush at war with?

-terrorists
-terrorism
-international terrorism
-terror
-fear
-hate
-the forces of darkness
-evil-doers
-Osama Bin Laden
-the Taliban
-Afghanistan
-whoever did this and whoever harbors them
-them

"War on Terrror" is nothing more then political spin for the public and propergander. It's like declaring war on murder.

Plus how will we know when the war is won? When Osama Bin Laden is killed? When the Taliban are all killed? When all Islamic terrorists are killed? When terrorists all over the globe are killed? When all evil people everywhere are killed? When the US runs out of bombs? When  Bush says it's over?

War on terror can't be won, the best you can do is manage it. Bush needs to give these terror and fear speeches a rest.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=6117856

...-Gixer

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 07:53:50 PM »
Already posted.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 07:56:32 PM »
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 08:01:03 PM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 07:59:52 PM »
It wasn't a Bush v Kerry post. Just a question about the war on terror. I don't care for Kerry anymore then I do for Bush.

...-Gixer

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 08:01:23 PM »
Boy, sure am glad I was raised to know the difference between good and evil. Not confusing ,we are at war against evil.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 08:03:48 PM »
The "War on Terror" will be won when the folks still living in the Dark Ages have more of a reason to live than a reason to die.

Like it or not, Bush has made an attempt to move things that way. A working democracy/republic in the Middle East would be a step down the road out of the Dark Ages.

But it's a long, long road.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 08:05:27 PM »
Originally posted by demaw1
Boy, sure am glad I was raised to know the difference between good and evil. Not confusing ,we are at war against evil.

Evil? That's pretty simplistic, care to elaborate on that one?

...-Gixer

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 08:08:48 PM »
the war on terror is rahter pointless imo.

you will never get rid of the terrorist nutbags.  Never.  If it is possible then the only way to stop it would be genocide.  but still that is remote at best so it is really not worth it imo.  always will be terrorist nonthing we can do about it.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 08:20:25 PM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
the war on terror is rahter pointless imo.

you will never get rid of the terrorist nutbags.  Never.  If it is possible then the only way to stop it would be genocide.  but still that is remote at best so it is really not worth it imo.  always will be terrorist nonthing we can do about it.

I agree! We dont need no stinking tall buldings or big cities any more!!!  :rolleyes:

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 08:24:44 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I agree! We dont need no stinking tall buldings or big cities any more!!!  :rolleyes:
grun terror is a factor of life.  we will always suffer at the hands of terrorist.  there is simple nonthing you can do.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 08:30:40 PM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
there is simple nonthing you can do.

So for example installing hijack resistant doors on airliners wouldnt have stopped 911.

Or improving the flow of imformation between the various intelligence and law enforcement agencies wouldnt have helped track some known terrorists among the 911 hijackers when they were in the USA or taking flight lessons.  

Or how about what thje USA did to to stop Al Qaeda's attack on the white house cold in its tracks?

So yea nothing we can do...

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 08:37:21 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
A working democracy/republic in the Middle East would be a step down the road out of the Dark Ages.

But it's a long, long road.

Actually, I cannot imagine it.  Not when I consider the population, the politics, the history of the region.    It just seems real unlikely to me.

I think the best we can achieve is some kind of puppet regime, strongly supported by the U.S.   And that won't end the violence, it will prolong it.    What a mess.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 08:38:52 PM »
Grun,

As in the steps you've outlined, the best you can do with terroism is manage it best you can. Point is the war on terror itself can never be won hence my original message and points.

...-Gixer

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 08:44:08 PM »
I certainly don't want to get caught up in all the politics, but Gixer, your answer is with Kerry and Edwards. When Bush said the war on terror could never be won, (it can't) the Kerry Edwards camp posted that not only could it be won, it will be won, and by Kerry. Someone could find that release I'm sure.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 08:44:32 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Grun,

As in the steps you've outlined, the best you can do with terroism is manage it best you can. Point is the war on terror itself can never be won hence my original message and points.

...-Gixer
exactly
II/JG3 DGS II