Author Topic: Aiming In Ostwind: An End to Vulching as a Viable Method of Score Padding  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Aiming In Ostwind: An End to Vulching as a Viable Method of Score Padding
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2005, 08:46:45 PM »
By popular demand I am bumping this post so it can be more easily found.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2005, 10:26:46 PM »
I have found that zooming your sight all the way in while putting the mouse pointer in the center of that sight then hitting PAGE UP key ,then F10 key will allow you use the mouse pointer as the gun sight and give you a clear field of fire.While using this tactic i lead the aircraft about 1 inch gap between the pointer and the target.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2005, 11:24:59 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop
It's whatever floats your boat. Upping from a vultched field can in some cases be a whole lot of fun.

It's the first kind of field I look for and then I up and call them twits as they vulch me!  Tons O fun!  Usually I end up making them use their E and ammo and then up a la7 and chase em down and kill them!:D

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline BBQ_Bob

• Silver Member
      • http://uknightedstates.net
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2005, 10:22:05 AM »
Originally posted by eilif
origionaly posted by Zazen13

reminds me of something x0847Marine might say to rationalize his style of play:rolleyes: i think he also went so far as to put some tape on his screen :lol

Hey I have tape on my monitor, looks dumb but it really works. :aok
UKNIGHTED Propaganda Minister
"There are no Hells Angels in the MA, never"

"they are nowhere near the airport ..they are lost in the desert...they can not read a compass...they are retarded."

For a good time ~~ www.uknightedstates.net

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2005, 12:16:20 PM »
Originally posted by BBQ_Bob
Hey I have tape on my monitor, looks dumb but it really works. :aok

You can also use a red sharpie pen to make a small dot or crosshair where the bullet stream goes. It wipes off with windex easily and is also translucent.

Zazen

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2005, 06:28:23 PM »
Although I do not use this exact method, but very simular (nothing worth spending time writing about).

I started using Zazens method, and I am getting much better at leading bogeys in the osty. In fact, I think I am getting to be pretty good.  

Not an ace shot, but I do get a lot of them before they get me now, at least one or two. I rely mostly on the tracers to adjust lead, but Zazens method gives a good starting point to watch tracers from.

My hardest shot is still a bogey flying straight away from me. You’d think it would be a sitting duck just like a bogey flying straight at you.

Of course I don’t shoot the vulchers in an osty because I hate them. I shoot them because it’s fun.

I mean, they are just honest hard working vulchers trying to pad their score, er I mean suppress base defense. In a land grab game like the Main Arcade, vulching (or as Zazen puts it; “Cherry Picking” if their wheels are off the runway) is a legitimate part of game play. And so is sitting in a dweeb ride like the Flack Panzie and picking those vulching scumbags off  :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2005, 06:45:56 PM »
Originally posted by AKFokerFoder+
Although I do not use this exact method, but very simular (nothing worth spending time writing about).

I started using Zazens method, and I am getting much better at leading bogeys in the osty. In fact, I think I am getting to be pretty good.  

Not an ace shot, but I do get a lot of them before they get me now, at least one or two. I rely mostly on the tracers to adjust lead, but Zazens method gives a good starting point to watch tracers from.

My hardest shot is still a bogey flying straight away from me. You’d think it would be a sitting duck just like a bogey flying straight at you.

Of course I don’t shoot the vulchers in an osty because I hate them. I shoot them because it’s fun.

I mean, they are just honest hard working vulchers trying to pad their score, er I mean suppress base defense. In a land grab game like the Main Arcade, vulching (or as Zazen puts it; “Cherry Picking” if their wheels are off the runway) is a legitimate part of game play. And so is sitting in a dweeb ride like the Flack Panzie and picking those vulching scumbags off  :rofl :rofl :rofl

Aiming at bandits flying directly away from you can be quite tricky, but it also can provide you with alot of, "OMFG you cheater! How did you get me at 3k!" responses that can make your day. The key to this is lead the nose not the plane if that makes any sense. People are getting smarter they will use rudder slip and what-not when egressing from a vulch or pork pass. To account for this and the time latency of shell to target, lead the plane's nose, it'll be there eventually.

It's best to not think in terms of "striking" the target but, instead, throwing a shell stream up that is most likely to 'intersect' with the target's projected flight-path at a particular point and time in space. Another important factor as I mention in the initial post, avoid micro-managing your aiming corrections, there is a natural spread of the shells, try to avoid over-compensating for this, keep your turret movements as gradual, smooth and fluid as possible.

Zazen
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 06:48:51 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2005, 06:55:39 PM »
I have a couple of films, one is a sweet three kill on a set of a20s, another of an assist on a IL2 followed by a kill on a Spit, only the last a20 is a head on shot.  I am going to try to get a website where I can post them

I find that most of my shots tend to be behind a bogey.  And good pointer over micro managing.

Do you have a good gunsite for the ho divers?  I tend to aim just below them.  

Some film of leading bogeys flying away from you would be nice.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2005, 12:08:17 AM »
I'd love to make a film if that helps anyone, but I have nowhere to host it...

Zazen

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2005, 01:45:21 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
I'd love to make a film if that helps anyone, but I have nowhere to host it...

Zazen

zazen, PM me with your email addy, i'll host it
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2005, 12:43:44 PM »
Originally posted by Mr No Name
zazen, PM me with your email addy, i'll host it

Great ty, will do.

Zazen