Author Topic: Aiming In Ostwind: An End to Vulching as a Viable Method of Score Padding  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Chortle

• Nickel Member
Aiming In Ostwind: An End to Vulching as a Viable Method of Score Padding
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 06:53:52 PM »
Hehe :)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2004, 06:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the aiming advice, Zazen13.  For each update in Aces High, one of my benchmarks is how the acks do.  It's always a brawl between attacker and defender, but lately I think the defenders are somehow handicapped.

I fancy myself a good shot, including with real guns and other simulations like skeet shooting.  But now attackers can fly straight down my ack barrels and I rarely get a single hit whether with 37mm or 50 cal (5-inchers are better, but still not as lethal as before).  

You're right on about leading being crucial.  I still get framerates in the 30s to 50s, and I've been making sure I understand the vysnch On bit too.  

I'm glad you're having such ack success.  I look forward to eventually working through my shooting slump somehow.

Regarding your expedited exits, I don't take getting zapped that personally.  The poor plane worked awfully hard to get to me, so if its ordnance finds me first, no problem.

Cyber makes us all crazy.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2004, 07:12:12 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Oh, I'll do all I can to avoid being killed, but I stop short of using (abusing?) game mechanisms to rob the enemy of a fairly earned kill.

What else do you expect from a dweeb other than dweeb tactics?  He cries about people padding their score but he's basically doing the same thing in keeping the deaths from ruining his score.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2004, 07:28:24 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
What else do you expect from a dweeb other than dweeb tactics?  He cries about people padding their score but he's basically doing the same thing in keeping the deaths from ruining his score.

ack-ack

Has nothing to do with score, I could care less about my vehicle score. I just hate to give the enemy a kill. ;) AKAK's just afraid this will ruin his little late night vulch fest he's got going on. ;)

Zazen
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 07:57:57 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2004, 07:34:04 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Zazen,

Bailing from the bomber only awards a kill if you wait until the fighter is too close.  I have had B-17 pilots bail as I closed and got no kill.  It was at high alt and had just entered friendly airspace so I doubt it had been hit by another player and if it had bailing would have made no sense.

I've never not gotten credit from a bailer so long as I was within the 6k icon range. Maybe he had been plinked already? I don't know. As I said, I don't understand why a bomber would bail with guns to man, unless the guns were shot out or ammoless.

Zazen

Offline KurtVW

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2004, 09:01:01 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Like the fairly earned kills he's getting on your teammates as they spawn at predictable places  and before they can even taxi down the runway?

Zazen

I don't know about you Zaz, but my squad is smart enuff not to up at fields that are being vulched, we fall back one sector and fly in with altitude.

Anyone dumb enough to keep upping to get vulched isn't smart enough to operate an osti anyhow.

Offline Boat

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2004, 09:47:45 PM »
Thanks Zazen for the tips.  I was never any good at hitting things with an Ostie. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2004, 10:00:21 PM »
Originally posted by KurtVW
Anyone dumb enough to keep upping to get vulched isn't smart enough to operate an osti anyhow.

It's whatever floats your boat. Upping from a vultched field can in some cases be a whole lot of fun.

But then again I've been passed over for promotion many times..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2004, 10:03:55 PM »
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone but:

Karnak

just out of curiosity, if you were landing from a 5 kill mission in your mossie, and just as you come to a halt on the runway you notice an enemy plane coming down to drop a bomb, or just simply gun vulch you, would you:

A) exit via tower as fast as you could to avoid being killed and losing your kills.

B) slowly and carefully taxi to a hanger, hang up your flying kit, then take a stroll round the airfeild to take in the evening air.

in essance what Zazen is saying is not as gamey as you might think, the place to land an osti or pnsr is on the tarmac, so therefore if you are fighting from the tarmac it makes you a bit of a wussie, but no more gamey than the next man should you decide to hit the tower at any point.

personally i fly till i die, but thats only my way of enjoying the game.

It must be said that Zazen is infact the best osti shooter i have come across recently, and all i see here is someone trying to help others to gain more skill.

I dont see a need to burn him like this even if you think he is a dweeb.

and to Zazen:

you bastage dweeb osti monkey! lost me 4 kills yesterday damn you!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Ratnick

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2004, 10:52:09 PM »
Okay - (Chortle did I lose you already!?)
How to kill osti's that are preventing you from vulching.
When the osti is zoomed in on your buddy preparing to do his hard earned vulching approach osti from opposite direction and drop 2X1000lbers on him. Sit back and relish the explosion in all its glory. When the osti re-spawns and blows your hind-quarters to kingdom come you can curse yourself for not hitting the VH instead.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2004, 11:26:30 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone but:

Karnak

just out of curiosity, if you were landing from a 5 kill mission in your mossie, and just as you come to a halt on the runway you notice an enemy plane coming down to drop a bomb, or just simply gun vulch you, would you:

A) exit via tower as fast as you could to avoid being killed and losing your kills.

B) slowly and carefully taxi to a hanger, hang up your flying kit, then take a stroll round the airfeild to take in the evening air.

in essance what Zazen is saying is not as gamey as you might think, the place to land an osti or pnsr is on the tarmac, so therefore if you are fighting from the tarmac it makes you a bit of a wussie, but no more gamey than the next man should you decide to hit the tower at any point.

personally i fly till i die, but thats only my way of enjoying the game.

It must be said that Zazen is infact the best osti shooter i have come across recently, and all i see here is someone trying to help others to gain more skill.

I dont see a need to burn him like this even if you think he is a dweeb.

and to Zazen:

Good point, however, I think what Zazen is doing is gamey.  And then again, so is every dang thing that we do in AH.  That's why it’s a game.  It’s designed to be a game, and to be played as a game.  .EF before the bomb hits and you win.  Let the bomb kill you and you lose.  It’s pretty simple.  If someone gets a bigger kick out of getting bombed to smithereens, that’s fine too.  

In the end, we tend to see ourselves as noble knights of the sky; our wives, kids, co-workers and friends, however, see us as computer dorks who play “airplane”.

They are right you know.

eskimo

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2004, 11:33:27 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic

Thanks, mechanic and sorry. The Ostwind has become far more difficult in AHII than it was in AH1, in AHI a post of this nature was not necessary. But, I know from my own squadmates that alot of people are having no success with the Ostwind since we changed to AHII. I have always been quite successfull in the Ostwind but had to make adjustments when we switched to AHII from AHI to maintain that success.

In WW2 75% of all aircraft lost was a result of ground-fire. In AHI we were probably close to that figure all things considered, just judging by Ostwind and field gunner kill totals and guessing at AI controlled ack deaths. In AHII however, the kill totals for Ostwinds and field gunners took a giant nose dive. This has had the effect of dropping those realistic ground-fire deaths to a very unrealistic level and also made the overwhelming and vulching of fields far safer and more lucrative from a 'scoring' point of view. It just stands to reason that  if the vulcher is punished less for getting low and slow over enemy airfields he will continue that activity longer than one who is punished repeatedly for doing so.

Zazen

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
You are a...
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2004, 11:36:19 PM »
pu55y!!!1

Up a gv and die like a man.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2004, 11:39:07 PM »
Originally posted by KurtVW
I don't know about you Zaz, but my squad is smart enuff not to up at fields that are being vulched, we fall back one sector and fly in with altitude.

While I personally agree with you to some extent Kurt, I for one would never up from a field even close to being CAP'd. The fact remains alot of people, including skilled pilots such as nopoop have no quams about doing so in the interest of mounting a vigorous field defense.

There are also situations that call for the use of the Ostwind that does not necessarily involve the protection of a field vs. vulchers per se. Such as a large, organized raid and situations where two fields are relatively close together and a furball ensues whereby the ebb and flow of battle has brought the enemy contingent very close to your airfiled. I can't tell you the number of Rooks that were able to land kills they probably would not have otherwise been able to simply because I was there in an Ostwind to clear the pursuers off them. Then of course there's the high level porker/vulcher who overflies your own field CAP to drop his load on the field and vulch a few before his inevitable death. A skilled Ostwind sniper can kill those types before they even get to drop, much less vulch.

Zazen
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 02:29:35 AM by Zazen13 »

Offline KurtVW

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2004, 12:16:52 AM »
ZAZ, I'm not faulting you for makint the original post... I appreciated the info...

I just think its funny that vulching is an on going debate here, since the victim ALWAYS makes the choice to try to fly from a capped base..

'The game engine should protect me from my poor decisions... Why do I keep dieing?  I'm too stupid to change!!! waaaaa!!!"