Author Topic: Sound ideas  (Read 629 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Sound ideas
« on: October 07, 2004, 10:39:46 PM »
Just throwing out some ideas for for advanced sounds and sound effects in game.  Basically things that I would lik to "hear" in the game. Sorta like "ear candy".

New sounds:

Gear wind noise - from the recordings that I've been listening to, when the gear is lowered to a down posistion  - there is an audible rumbling from the wind being disrupted from the gear.

Belly up landing noises or ditching/crash...Correlate the pitch of the file being played with the speed of the aircraft as it slows on a belly landing. When you hit you would hear the audio start play, but as you slow down in sliding - the pitch of the audio would lower and the volume start to decrese slightly until you stop.

Wheel roll noise - when taking off and landing - a little low frequency rumbling roll noise would add tremendously to the effect of becoming airborne and touching down safely.

CV warning alarm - A general Quarters announcement instead of
airraid siren

Expanding on old themes:

From my experience editing sounds for Ah, I've found a key thing is that little nuances and slightly different sounds and variations, keep things interesting audibly.  Even though sounds differences aren't "jumping out" at you , they do make a difference in the audible pallete in the picture you are creating. So here's a few ideas I had for expanding to the current audio.

A seperate, independant wave file for the each type of Carrier gun.  One for the 13' guns/shore battery and one for the 5" gun

Seperate, individual wav file for the 88mm puffy ack explosion.

Seperate wav file for the 37mm manned ack - currently using 50 cal mg sound.

Aircraft damage sounds. A seperate wave file for light damage - ie control surface getting ripped/falling off. Then have a seperate wav file for Major damage -collisions, plane getting ripped in half, ect... Also, a seperate gear damage wav.

Seperate Wav files for tank round impacts.

Object destroyed sounds - debris falling and rustling after an object is destroyed.

Ambient noises:

This is something that would be the ultimate ear candy, but not sure on how to implement. Say within 6k of a base in tower, stopped plane, Vehicle, Chute or manned AA, you would hear "airfeild" ambience.  In the tower of a carrier, you would hear the wake, wave splashing as well as flight deck operational noise. In a city or other area - you could have correlating city / industrial noises.
Anywhere else, there would just be ambient noise - wind, some scared birds...lol. Over the ocean - the sounds of water and wind.

External sounds for aircraft. Yes it would be nice, but not too neccesary.

Just some thoughts I had about the sounds and after looking at the water - hope the ear candy catches up with the eye candy.

Thanks for the work HTC!

Offline wigglepog

• Zinc Member
Sound ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 10:54:49 AM »
I would agree with most of that.   I would expect HTC could do more to have Direct Sound/DirectX perform more real time signal processing for additional variety with the current sounds too.

Also, If the 37mm manned ack of which you speak is the ground guns at bases (etc.), then it uses m2.wav.  Don't know why we don't simply hear the actual 37mm sound from the 3rd person perspective that is used when manning these guns 1st person.

zes

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Sound ideas
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 12:36:08 PM »
-rough engine or damaged engine sound :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Sound ideas
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 01:08:38 PM »
All in at least 24-bit, 96khz, stereo :D .

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Sound ideas
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 02:04:49 PM »
Ditching on the water should have better sound effects.  Even the new sparkly water will lose some of its luster if it sounds like you are scraping on the tarmac.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Sound ideas
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 12:07:38 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
-rough engine or damaged engine sound :)

agreed.

Would also like the sound of snapping branches and trees when a Tankis moving through the forest or running over the brush and small trees
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Sound ideas
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 08:28:06 PM »
as far as the 24bit 96khz sampling rate.... I don't think you would notice any difference between that and 16bit 22.5khz sampling rate. Well unless you were using a pristine pair af tannoy monitors, and had lots more room on your harddrive to download the sounds.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Sound ideas
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 01:58:49 AM »
also had anorher idea - hit sounds for the canopy--glass break...and maybe a noise for pilot wound. when you get hit maybe hear the sound that caused the blood on your canopy.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Sound ideas
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 03:16:39 AM »
I was kidding about the ultra-high quality sounds.

As for not being able to tell the difference... Get a new pair of ears.

Oh, and I like the broken glass in the cockpit idea. That would add a lot of terror to ground attack runs.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Sound ideas
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 03:30:09 AM »
music, yes you can tell a difference - as far as games - not that big of deal. especially for guns, explosions. ect...

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Sound ideas
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 08:55:43 AM »
When near trees with the engine off I want to hear some birds.........
Ludere Vincere

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Sound ideas
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 02:40:18 PM »
haha -I don't think the birds would be sticking around after a few guns went off....It aint PGA tour 2004 :)

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Sound ideas
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 02:53:07 PM »
Well, I don't know about you, but I hear a major difference between even 44.1khz and 22.5khz in Call of Duty. Hell, when I edit my plane sounds, I hear a lot of difference between 44.1khz and 22.5khz.

And there's a massive difference between 96khz and 48khz when you're playing a DvD movie.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Sound ideas
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 03:24:01 PM »
I know there will be a difference in quality,

but going up to 96khz sampling is a little overboard, even for a game. Most CDs and DAT / digital recording is done at 44.1 or 48.
When doing digital recording in a studio - majority is done a 44.1khz.

Now bit depth is where you will hear the digital noise. 8bit vs 16bit -you can hear tremendous amounts of difference.  With 8 bit, there will always be a residual "digital noise" or white noise, no mater if you use sound restoration software to clean it - when it gets proceesed back to 8bit - it will be there. 24bit would be better, but then you start reaching limits of how much data space you want to use for "audio" on a program disc or download.

All in all each his own. If a gaming company wants a 24-bit 96khz sound bed - go for it..hell, even a floating 32bit system if they are up for it.

All in all though for most sounds in AH and they way the audio engine uses them - 16bit 22khz is a good step up from the 8bit.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Sound ideas
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 04:39:13 PM »
I agree completely.

Still, this digital recording is nowhere near the quality of pure Analogue (I use the UE because that's how it's supposed to be spelled).

A CD ranges from 20hz - 20khz, whereas a Vinyl record ranges roughly from 7hz - 40khz. Now, that means a Vinyl record has that much more "natural bandwidth", so you have higher tones, more harmonics, and deeper, richer bass. It also isn't tinny like a CD.

Oh, what I would do for a digital format that has the range of a Vinyl record...