Author Topic: Multiple victory missions  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
Multiple victory missions
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2000, 11:45:00 AM »

Originally posted by Fariz:
It shows expirience. If someone in the bad situation turns away that means he will be tough when/if you will catch him.

Fariz
What Fariz said.  

------------------
Tern
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"
========================
"There I was, inverted at 50 feet and 120 kts. and the only thing running was the radio."

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2000, 11:58:00 AM »
If my memory does not fail me, I remember back around WB 2.01 or so, the "Joe Average" had a K/D ratio of .98.  So, if your K/D ratio is anything higher than that, you're a pretty good dogfighter.

Offline HABICHT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jagdgeschwader54.net
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2000, 03:33:00 PM »
hi, have something to say.

first:
its's very good to get a 3 or 4 kill sortie in a 109.
i'm ONLY flying 109g10 and i'm:
pleased to land with NO kill,
happy to land with 1 kill,
very happy to land a 2 kill sortie
..all above 2 kills in my 109 is TOP for me.
got some 3 kill sorties and 2 or 3 4kill sorties, then my ammo is usually out.
btw i'm flying the 109 with 30mm in clean
configuration.

had lot's of "enemies" shouting through radio
"come back 109" or "another 109 running".
I'm flying VERY carefull because i want to fly realistic. surviving is everything.
i will not turn back, when i have a lvl spit
or anything else 0-6k behind be.
i don't understand the pilots, diving from
25k into an enemy furball to the lowest of
the cons, only to be kill from the cons higher friends.
i'll watch the enemy, and when one "sheep" is
to far from "mother" i'll attack.

that's my way of flying.....

------------------

JG2 "Richthofen"
BOOMING SPITS DOWN IN FLAMES SINCE 1997

[This message has been edited by HABICHT (edited 04-17-2000).]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2000, 05:02:00 PM »
Eye,

I think it's all a matter of perspective, if your goal is to maximize your "score" I'd say the following apply:

1) circle your field a couple times on take off...old advice from "bug" in AW but still true, you'll end up with an alt edge over those guys who fly right to action (of course plane type etc matter)

2) Don't chase cripples down, get one good burst and let em go if you need to but keep your alt and options.

3) fly with a wing

4) dont fly in sectors where your outnumbered badly.

Of course I dont do any of the above ...and it shows .

I still think if you have a good connect and can handle the plane that the G10 with the 30mm is the best ride in the game. you can't run from it or climb from it and 1 tickle from the 30mm usually does it.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2000, 07:04:00 PM »

Originally posted by Fariz:
It shows expirience. If someone in the bad situation turns away that means he will be tough when/if you will catch him.

I still fail to see how skill and/or experience somehow translate into running from a fight.  One could just as well demonstrate experience/ability by diving into bad odds and either walking away from it or succumbing only after taking a large number of them down.

Ultimately success is a measure in the eye of the beholder.  I'd rather have one or two kills mixing it up in impossible odds than running from those odds until I have some sort of advantage.  To me, that's not fun.  If kills and kills alone are the measure by which you gauge success, your rules of engagement will differ.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2000, 07:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dead Man Flying:
I still fail to see how skill and/or experience somehow translate into running from a fight.  One could just as well demonstrate experience/ability by diving into bad odds and either walking away from it or succumbing only after taking a large number of them down.

-- Todd/DMF

Todd-- Part of that experience isnt just how well you coax your AC into manuevering--it is also knowing WHEN and WHEN not to dive in  Pick and choosing your fights on your terms.

To the person who wants to fly to live this is the way they think. Hartman, galland, Baders, etc.... all lived throught the war and were extremely successfull becuase they were not only Great sticks--they applied the same philosophy.

reguards---ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2000, 08:11:00 PM »

Originally posted by -ammo-:
Todd-- Part of that experience isnt just how well you coax your AC into manuevering--it is also knowing WHEN and WHEN not to dive in    Pick and choosing your fights on your terms.

To the person who wants to fly to live this is the way they think. Hartman, galland, Baders, etc.... all lived throught the war and were extremely successfull becuase they were not only Great sticks--they applied the same philosophy.

The important distinction to make here is that Aces High is an air combat sim using WW2 aircraft, but it is NOT a WW2 simulator.  Of course Bader, Hartman, Galland, etc. flew to live and did an exceptional job of it; they did so out of necessity.  Beyond achieving one's mission objectives, preserving one's life was the primary objective of WW2 fighter pilots.  In Aces High, where we have infinite lives, flying to live is but one of many possible goals.

If we're going to use historic examples of fighter aces, we should likewise simulate the conditions under which they flew.  To that end, all Luftwaffe aircraft should be outnumbered 10 to 1, they should be forced to fly using fuel of substantially lower quality than their Allied counterparts, and death should be permanent for all players.

That doesn't sound incredibly fun to me.   Again, I was not attacking those who fly to live in my previous posts.  That's a perfectly valid style with its own strengths and weaknesses.  I understand the motivations for flying this way.  However, it's important to realize that those who do not share this philosophy do not in some way lack experience or skill.  Rather, they apply their experience and skill differently.

You'll also note that I never mentioned that I would just blow all advantages.    If I have alt over five lower bandits, I'm surely going to use it to my advantage as much as possible.  Where I differ philosophically from someone who flies to live is that once I lose that advantage I feel no inclination to run until I can gain it again.  I'll continue to fly and do the best that I can until either every enemy dies or I do.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2000, 09:39:00 PM »
DMF,

The great thing about AH is there is room for all of us. Personally, I view my lack of patience,planning,SA and gunnery as shortcomings I can live with...after all they do give me new planes to wreck  . I happen to have flown against EYE often in AW and never found fault with his desire/methods. We had many fine encounters (usually with EYE dropping on my prettythang from 5k up  ))..the bottom line is he was a good e fighter then and now..and you need to finish what you start..which he did..too often from my point of view.

My 2 cents is simple..the score that counts is the one you keep yourself. For me, you and Jase the two best sticks I've had the pleasure mix it up with..I count a ping on either of you up there with any multikill mission I ever had .

As you I and i discussed once not a long time ago...there are some guys you really don't want to catch  

[This message has been edited by humble (edited 04-17-2000).]

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2000, 09:46:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dead Man Flying:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing those who fly to live.  If that's how you get the most enjoyment out of Aces High, then more power to ya.  However, for some experience teaches us that flying to live only matters in real life.  Since this isn't real life, flying to have *fun* matters more.  If flying to live *is* fun to you, then knock yourself out.      The key is really to find out what makes you happy and to do it.

-- Todd/DMF

Your quite right this isn't real life, nor am i approaching it as such.
To me having 'fun' is about conquering challenges, finding new ones when you have mastered old ones etc. So to this end, landing my Pony/P-38/spit/la-5 whatever after X kills (be that zero or 50) is a challenge to me. Therefore, my priority is to get home 'alive' because this is the challenge. This will mean running from bad odds if i can.
I can take a spit up and chalk up 5-6 kills fairly easy, but i normally end up dead cause it cant run if it needs to. That's what i've been doing over the last 8 months, and this is less of a challenge for me.
We are all here to have fun, and as you said well: "flying to have *fun* matters more". But fun does take different forms for different people.

Spat  

------------------
Supreme Mega-Overlord Spatula

"...perfect for serving"

=357th Pony Express=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 04-17-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

eye

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2000, 12:59:00 AM »
Thank you everyone! Lots of nice tips. Its helped me already. Happy Hunting

EYE

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2000, 10:50:00 AM »
IMO DMF is more right about more players than you realize.  If everyone in the arena flew with such patience, only fought with advantage and ran when the fight tainted against them.  

Well...

Then there would be alot less combat in the simulated skies.  It would be very boring.  Everyone trying to get advantage, and running at the first hint of not having it.

This is what the players with patience use against those without it.  Keep this in mind.  

I believe it was Galland himself that said "Don't turn to engage, turn only to kill".

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2000, 11:23:00 AM »

Originally posted by Spatula:
We are all here to have fun, and as you said well: "flying to have *fun* matters more". But fun does take different forms for different people.

Exactly!    

-- Todd/DMF

[This message has been edited by Dead Man Flying (edited 04-18-2000).]

eye

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2000, 02:07:00 AM »
 Ive been on a hot streak since this post. Multies coming easier the last week. One thing i found out is the importance of not flying around mountain areas. I have been looking for areas where the bases are on flat areas. The fights are lower. There are more chases at low alt. That combined with flying on my side of the lines has made the difference. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks again all.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2000, 05:32:00 AM »
I like to play different styles. "Flying to live" is great fun, and protecting a streak is a gas (note to scoremakers: give us a "Current/Longest Streak column); So is just jumping in an mixing it up.  I love taking a fast-accelerating plane like the La-5 and inviting the high-bounces: Sooner or later one of us will make a mistake: If I do, I'm dead; if he does, I've got the advantage.

The big problem is that the two styles are not 100% compatible.  The "Furball dweeb" will latch onto the six of a "pro-lifer" at 25k and follow the guy down to the deck, into a storm of cons, and ignoring the fact that he's just committed suicide, merrily wax the other guy.
OTOH, the "pro-lifer" will disengage from a festive fight because he spots a con coming in from 4 miles out.
My advice? Just take it easy, and taunt each other on channel 100.

Dinger

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2000, 07:07:00 AM »
Dive into that furball and take down as many of the bastiages as ya can!!!

The only good enemy is a dead one!!    

One way or the other, it always ends up as flaming wreckage!!

------------------
Swager
I/JG2~Richthofen~
"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 05-02-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.