Author Topic: Brother-in-law was laid off today  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Brother-in-law was laid off today
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 08:52:36 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
They probably should have paid more attention to the Jet Blue or SW Airlines model.

JetBlue not doing so hot lately.  Their bill is coming due.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 09:52:15 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
Airtard pwn3d!!!11`!

Me? Actually it's Rip's brother in law who got owned Octardius. He invested a career that's going down the toilet through no fault of his own- and it should alarm every single one of you who works in a job that could possibly be outsourced.

Part of the agenda of the  Great Conservative Dream Ripsnort believes in puts profit before people, and lowering barriers to allow outsourcing, or passing anti labor regulations, or doing away with OSHA protections will increase profits....

And that's the bottom line.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 10:03:28 PM »
I feel that when someone makes a post regarding a personal or family matter, I tend to cut them a lot of slack.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that people taking cheap shots at RIP in this matter are pretty heartless and vindictive

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 10:07:53 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
...Anyways if the company doesn't make profit then some hard decisions have to be made; after all you're not living in a communistic country where state runs the companies and backs them up.

No we're not communist, but the government does step in and bailout big corporations occasionally.   How much was floated to the airlines after 9/11 to keep them solvent?    Hundreds of millions?   What was AA's share?

How much is naming rights to the American Airlines Center in Dallas costing the company?    Is that really what the taxpayer's money should be spent on?

Wonder how much the CEO and executive management team make?   I bet they'll still have a Merry Christmas, no matter what.

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, Rip.    No person who works for a living has job security these days.    

Btw, well said, Airhead.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 10:14:23 PM »
Originally posted by Airhead
Me? Actually it's Rip's brother in law who got owned Octardius. He invested a career that's going down the toilet through no fault of his own- and it should alarm every single one of you who works in a job that could possibly be outsourced.

Would you have the same advice for those who built Hudsons or Studebakers?

Nothing to do with outsourcing... sometimes business models just do not work.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 10:16:59 PM »
Working for an airline, I have seen a lot of great people lose their jobs.  Many good friends.  It is a very sad thing to see.   We don't have hardly anyone under 40 yrs of age left in my company.  Where will the employees come from in 10-15 years?   No longer are there young guys working their way up and learing the ropes, so to say.

Aviation has always been a cyclical industry, good times and bad.  Only now we wonder if, not as much when, the good times might ever return.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 10:17:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about that Rip but thats the way of aviation.  Skilled manual or technical jobs in labour intensive areas (e.g avaition maintenance, production etc) will be dead meat in the west soon.

I'm in Thailand supporting an airline and the Licensed engineers - the guys signing the airplane off who are just as good and just as qualified as any others I have met - are getting $640 PER MONTH ......... PER MONTH .

Lets just say the standard of living for them is not what a mech in the US or UK would accept.

If you have a 2000 hr job to do on your 737 then you can afford to fly it a long way and still get change at that rate.

And Rip don't think your degree based job is safe - my brother in the UK has just hired 3 degree qualified guys from the former East because they would work for 2/3 of a UK person and were over the moon.  Thats the free market way.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 10:18:19 PM »
I disagree, NUKE- I'm not heartless because I genuinely feel bad for Rip's BIL, and I'm not vindictive because I genuinely like Ripsnort and respect  his parenting and devotion to his family. Sheeesh.

Rip, my apologies if you felt I was attacking you; it wasn't intended. So, let me start again-

It's unfortunate so many people are losing their jobs due to outsourcing, NAFTA loopholes, or trade agreements that allow foreign nations access to our markets with the competitive advantage of having no benefits and no minimum wage.

There, NUKE- no mention of administration policies towards labor. You happy now?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 10:30:23 PM »
Airhead, I don't think you are heartless but I also feel that there is no reason to use this post as ammo for a past argument against Rip.

Too me, it just comes off as vindictive. Nash too. I like both of you but I disagree with how you have responded to this post.

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 10:43:54 PM »
wow....

I wonder how some of you would have responded if he would have said his mother had a life threatening medical problem that stem cell research might have helped with.

ridiculous    :mad:

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 10:47:00 PM »
You sayin' stem cell research can save the airline industry?
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2004, 10:49:25 PM »
Interesting few comments in here.

First off, sorry to hear about the layoff, it's gotta suck.  

with no disrespect to the loss, ya and then?

I fired a guy today.  Short version, I'm a meanie for letting the guy go.  Long version, I hired 2 and bought about 15k in equipment.  Life's funny like that.  

Oddly enough, I never consulted the administration on these decisions, so can't blame Bush for the guy losing his job nor praise Bush for the 15k expenditures and the 2 jobs created.  Frankly, those were my decisions based on my needs and my efforts.

I sent one lead guy to LA yesterday, gonna fly him back Sunday.  I chose an airline based on the value I placed on the trip.  Didn't consult the administration then either, and for the one airline I did chose, that left about 9 I didn't chose.  Well, ya, so things like that happen.  At some point, most people will chose something other than what you might be involved in, then things close down.  Life's like that.

I've seen a great deal of comments over the years that revolve around "Gee you just can't keep a job long term anymore"   and Choice is a bad thing?  Sorry, but the jobs you kept for life were things like coal miner and train track layer or brick layer.  There were fewer major changes in jobs "back then" as there were fewer things going on.  People still lost jobs, because you can't change nature and some people are just idiots. You didn't see massive changes in an entire industry simply because industry expansion was slower.  The steel industry held for generations, but now you can extrude plastic in your garage so the manufacturing industry changes rapidly.  The majority of those complaining about the loss of the old jobs are also the ones that complained the most about the working conditions and emmissions that the old industries created.  Ok, so, they won, deal with the results.

You can't complain about it, just deal with it.  Or don't, those of us that are moving and growing need licensed broom operators as well.  Well, that is until the robots are more economical, so best sweep while you can.  And while you're sweeping, learn to lube robots, because you're gonna need to know things like that.

Employees are demanding 30-50 per hour and a clean environment and pristine benefits, and this is ok, I'm not opposed to that desire.  The masses want the toaster for $12.00.   China has no labor laws and environmental laws, and can produce the toaster for $5.00 and make a few bucks, the US firms are required to invest in pension plans, high tech manufacturing plants with sirens and space suits so no one gets hurt, and can produce the same toaster for $135.95.  Don't blame WalMart, Blame the masses for not paying for the $135.95 toaster.  Walmart should Not be in business because the consumer is demanding the price?  Somehow the US should subsidise the toaster maybe?  Or Force the import fees on the China product and tack on 130 bucks to artificially create a comperable priced toaster?

Some would say, Ya, Great idea.  Ok, what does the government do with that 130 bucks?  Better yet, how about this, toasters are Crazy at 130 bucks so screw it, lets eat cold bread or toast it in the pan and the toaster industry dies for lack of common sense.

Don't you get it?  You cannot "create" and support an artificial market.  You build a better toaster or some clever out of work airline mechanic comes up with the secret to baking pre-toasted bread because he is out of work and has some time to kill.  (Bet you wondered how I was going to come full circle to the mechanic didn't you)

Sometimes it would almost be funny to imagine life back in 1850 and Congress enacted legislation protecting the wagon wheel makers.

2 types of people in life.  Those who see a loss as a bad thing, and those who see a loss as an opportunity.  No matter how you expand or ammend, those 2 foundations are always the choice.

[edited because I spelled "idiots" wrong, ain't that just a kicker?]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 10:51:52 PM by ROC »
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 10:55:15 PM »
well said ROCrats.

The problem I had was with the people that seemed to gleefully use it to "poke a finger" in the eye of Rip in order to expand a past argument.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 10:58:50 PM by NUKE »

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2004, 11:00:02 PM »
Ya, I hear ya.

No reason for that, hell most take this stuff far too seriously, I was giggling while typing most of this :)  

It's fun to be me.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2004, 11:05:09 PM »
Ahhh the voice of modern management - sweet music .......

So ROC when do the 2 mexicans living in a cardboard box under the freeway start using the asbestos shredder you bought ???