Author Topic: Brother-in-law was laid off today  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Brother-in-law was laid off today
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2004, 11:05:44 PM »
"past argument?" Are you serious NUKE? Sheeesh, I can disagree with a political POV without having to dislike somebody, can't I?

"wow....

I wonder how some of you would have responded if he would have said his mother had a life threatening medical problem that stem cell research might have helped with.

ridiculous"

Mosgood- I am in favor of stem cell research. I am also opposed to the Iraq invasion. However, a brother in law losing a job is much less severe than a mother terminally ill, or one of our children killed in Iraq.

You DO understand that, right?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2004, 11:10:35 PM »
Originally posted by Airhead
"past argument?" Are you serious NUKE? Sheeesh, I can disagree with a political POV without having to dislike somebody, can't I?

Airhead.... it's just that this post was not a political or opionated post in any way.

You know what I'm saying...you're not dumb...... sheesh.

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2004, 11:11:27 PM »

You DO understand that, right?

Sure I do...  so when do you cross the line as to when to just say "gee  sorry to hear about that rip..." and when to say "It's all your fault rip .  Your brother-in-laws family is having a lean xmas  all because of you" ?

YOu were out of line airhead... period.  there are times to make your point and there are times to keep your mouth shut.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2004, 11:18:36 PM »
Actually,

One of the mexicans was arrested for smuggling pot, so he isn't with me anymore.  Oddly enough, when the background checks came in, because we do much work on prisons, they kinda said "Sure, he can come on site"

As for the other one, I just gave him a no interest loan.  I spent my money to make sure he had his house in order as it's getting cold and his wife is pregnant.  I made sure he got his drivers license back, got his tickets taken care of and his insurance re-activated so he could take advantage of the 2 Dollar an hour raise I just gave him after I promoted him to a Lead Installer position.

Nice young kid, got off to a rough start in L.A. but here in Sacramento, we do things a tad differently.

Now, this is a reward as he is one hell of a good worker, and $17.00 per hour is a good base wage for under 2 years experience, and I will continue to reward him unless he screws up royally and thinks that he is owed one damn thing from me, then it's out on his bellybutton faster than he can fart tequila fumes.

Being in Lead, he has first dibs on the Prevailing Wage projects that we work on, and when those come, his base wage jumps to $26.00 per hour and benefits, and being as they tend to be long distance, get's overtime at that rate for driving because I want 8 hours of work.  I "could" pay one way, as that is what the law allows, but I don't, I pay both, it's the right thing to do.   Don't confuse that with the Moral right thing to do, it's not morality, it is simply the fact that if I spend a few bucks now, I don't spend Many bucks training new dweebs.

Now, ya, that's modern management.  Know where your talent is, and take care of them.   Stream line efficiency by getting rid of the lazy schmucks who think I owe them a thing, I don't. This isn't a social program, it's stfu and do your job.   I reward effort, and I think I reward it well.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2004, 11:19:26 PM »
NUKE. you said I posted to "be vindictive" over past debates with Rip- I'm telling you I didn't. You seem to view any disagreement here as something that must be "gotten even" with- I don't.

Mosgood, I never said "It's all your fault rip . Your brother-in-laws family is having a lean xmas all because of you" so please, don't make up quotes and attribute them to me, OK?

You are right, tho- sometimes it is best to say nothing at all, which is what I shoulda done.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2004, 11:21:53 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
Maybe if he typed at the internets more during work, his company would be in better shape.

This probably pissed me off the most. What possible reason could someone have to post something so vindictive?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2004, 11:25:03 PM »
NUKE. you said I posted to "be vindictive" over past debates with Rip- I'm telling you I didn't. You seem to view any disagreement here as something that must be "gotten even" with- I don't.

Mosgood, I never said "It's all your fault rip . Your brother-in-laws family is having a lean xmas all because of you" so please, don't make up quotes and attribute them to me, OK?

You are right, tho- sometimes it is best to say nothing at all, which is what I shoulda done.

Airhead, I actually never mentioned you specifically....although I did not like your posts.

I apoloize for seeming over sensitive. I'm just not one to use personal statements against people. I'm a sissy boy.

This post didn't have an option to argue or dissagree anything h in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:29:04 PM by NUKE »

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2004, 11:30:58 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
This probably pissed me off the most. What possible reason could someone have to post something so vindictive?

.... don't confuse "vindictive" with "bad humor." Do you really think Nash harbors grudges against other posters? Sheeesh, Nash is like a goose- he wakes up in a different world every morning. He won't even remember posting that by tomorrow.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2004, 11:33:02 PM »
Admit it Airhead, you love me :)

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2004, 11:36:48 PM »
Metaphorically, I consider geese to be full of chit.  The metaphor holds.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2004, 11:39:18 PM »
FYI you schmoes's in your pretty pink place called "check six" (ignore the obvious studmuffin reference to anal penertration)  this thread is why i don't go there any more.

not a single respectable person, not a single person NOT waiting to be an prettythanghole.

have fun on your high and mighty throne of intardnet greatness, and make fun of other's tragedy, or sorrow.

tis the ONLY way you will ever truly be great, and maybe beat that dragon.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2004, 11:41:30 PM »
Originally posted by JB73
FYI you schmoes's in your pretty pink place called "check six" (ignore the obvious studmuffin reference to anal penertration)  this thread is why i don't go there any more.

not a single respectable person, not a single person NOT waiting to be an prettythanghole.

have fun on your high and mighty throne of intardnet greatness, and make fun of other's tragedy, or sorrow.

tis the ONLY way you will ever truly be great, and maybe beat that dragon.

I'm on Checksix. I like it.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2004, 11:43:49 PM »
So, with that comment, I would have to assume that you are being entertained at least?

"I'm here for entertainment, not a political debate, a discussion on realism of a game, an argument over religion, a choice over paper or plastic, or anything else. © JBoozonics73 Inc."
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2004, 11:47:15 PM »
Posting what?

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2004, 11:48:25 PM »
I just gave him a no interest loan. I spent my money to make sure he had his house in order as it's getting cold and his wife is pregnant. I made sure he got his drivers license back, got his tickets taken care of and his insurance re-activated

So you have him nicely indebted to you so he is good and 'loyal'

2 Dollar an hour raise I just gave him after I promoted him to a Lead Installer position.

So you "gave" him a raise when he is actually taking on more responsibility - my you are generous.

Now, this is a reward as he is one hell of a good worker, and $17.00 per hour is a good base wage for under 2 years experience, and I will continue to reward him unless he screws up royally and thinks that he is owed one damn thing from me, then it's out on his bellybutton faster than he can fart tequila fumes.
 $17 an hour in Cali - wow he can live like a king.  "reward him"  ?? he isn't a dog - the deal is he works and you pay.  Last comment makes it clear you view his ethnicity as equal to white US born :rolleyes:

his base wage jumps to $26.00 per hour and benefits,
So at $17 an hour there's no benefits - like health ?? nice.

get's overtime at that rate for driving because I want 8 hours of work. I "could" pay one way, as that is what the law allows, but I don't, I pay both, it's the right thing to do. Don't confuse that with the Moral right thing to do, it's not morality, it is simply the fact that if I spend a few bucks now, I don't spend Many bucks training new dweebs.
 So he is using his time to travel to do your work and you feel rightious about paying his travel time - your generosity abounds. Once again the dweebs comment proves your view of your workers.

Now, ya, that's modern management. ............. This isn't a social program, it's stfu and do your job. I reward effort, and I think I reward it well.

As you say - it's modern management.

That's why I contract work - I come across management like that and can say "screw you" and find another contract.

This isn't about lazy schmucks - it's about us losing jobs to foriegn countries where the workers doing our job are working in conditions we considered years ago to be unacceptable - things like safety and healthcare - you know - trivia.

Hangar I'm at now doesn't have steps with rails on to get on the aircraft - ever fallen from an Airbus door carrying a toolbox - it hurts.  Got to work on an wing - no harness - no problem.