Author Topic: Gunsights  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
Gunsights
« on: January 12, 2005, 05:04:28 PM »
Do they make a difference?

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
Gunsights
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 05:25:28 PM »
in my opinion... NO

im using the default sight. and my gunnery is good

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Gunsights
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 05:32:24 PM »
They did for me. Granted I only pretty much only use one but having alot to choose from did help me to decide on the one sight I like to use most often.

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
Gunsights
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 08:34:27 PM »
I've tried several gunsights, & my gunnery STILL SUX, a Hawkeye
I'm not!  Read subjects on gunnery, but can't quite hit on to what's comfy 4 me   :(

Surprising was an Expert shooter in the USMC, but that was then.

Happy1  :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Gunsights
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 11:30:23 PM »
Find something you like & stick with it.

More important I think to spend 5 minutes offline checking your lead & deflection shooting & warming up before you head to the wars.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Gunsights
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 11:23:41 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Find something you like & stick with it.

More important I think to spend 5 minutes offline checking your lead & deflection shooting & warming up before you head to the wars.

What Ghost said. I made my own simple sight which is nothing but a center dot, no rings or anything else. Recently I started warming up like he mentioned too and it works.

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
Gunsights
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 08:08:51 PM »
Originally posted by Happy1
I've tried several gunsights, & my gunnery STILL SUX, a Hawkeye
I'm not!  Read subjects on gunnery, but can't quite hit on to what's comfy 4 me   :(

Surprising was an Expert shooter in the USMC, but that was then.

Happy1  :D

yeah so was I.  Shot a 236 once

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gunsights
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 02:26:08 PM »
Distance is the great equalizer, right?

Set convergence to 300 and shoot between 200-300. Shooting at 100 provides an opportunity to run into the parts of the wreck you just created.

If you have trouble getting to within 300 yards come on over to the TA for a workout.

Ren

Offline Marco

• Copper Member
Gunsights
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 05:27:10 PM »
I see no difference between the gunsight's, yet i use different ones just for the fun of it and making the game more realistic.
Was always one to try new things anyhow. :D

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Gunsights
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 05:51:46 PM »
I think the lines and angles are supposed to help you judge in what direction and how much lead you have to pull, taking into account angle, speeds and distance of the planes. But by the time I have calculated all that and 'read' the lines of the gunsight, the con has usually reversed on me and shot me down.

I kinda shoot with empiric intuition. Or so.

The gunsight only makes a difference insofar as there are some that are so 'dense' that they obscure the view a bit. But thats also a matter of being used to.

BTW, im using the Waffle-Sights. For no particular reason, apart from eyecandy maybe.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Gunsights
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 06:12:26 PM »
being one who has notroiously had gunnery problems, and have tried every voodoo cure for it, the gunsight does not help in air to air combat.

i have come to find the less clutter the better.

now with rockets and junk, some have been able to ues the custom sights on the p51 or whatever and hit ground targets amazingly well supposedly form the sight.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Gunsights
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 09:41:39 PM »
For me I've found the gunsights do make a difference.  I can't hit squat in the same bird using default gun sights.  In the Mustang I use the authentic gun sight and have no problems.  When I did a reinstall I forgot to put my gunsight back in and couldn't hit crap.  

You shouldn't have to concentrate on the sights either as some are trying to do.  Think of it like firing a rifle.  You use the same concept.  Your sight should be a slight blur when focusing on your target.  I use Aeros K14 sight for the mustang.  I use the outer dashes for referencing roll wings level with another aircraft.  I will also use them to determine how my lead or lag pursuit is going and how shallow or deep I need to be in a deflection shot.  The thing is that it comes natural over time and you shouldn't be focusing on your gun sight at all.  The more you focus on your sight the more the platform will tend to bounce.  That's just how it is for me though.  Everyone is different.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Gunsights
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 01:08:08 AM »
yes it makes a difference.

Mostly i use a single dot, less clutter, less disrtaction, more kills. :D

the only trouble with a single dot is you might not be getting your wings lined up with the enemy and therefore shoot around him not at him.

convergence and practice make a huge difference also.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
Gunsights
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 02:38:15 AM »
Although I don't use it anymore, I highly recommend the weazle gunsite (the big green one with the arrow). Set this gunsite and raise your view up until the very tip of the arrow is not visable. You'll still know where it is, so it's not really necessary to see. This gunsite also gives you a big green line going out the bottom, which makes lining up for the high angle deflection shots much easier when learning to shoot.

-pellik

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
Gunsights
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 03:13:11 PM »
Just use a dot.. .. all you need..