Author Topic: P47 vrs P51D at high alt  (Read 913 times)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
P47 vrs P51D at high alt
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
They key to retaining maximum energy in that boom and zoom situation is to pull minimal G's in the pull-up into the zoom.  That is, don't pull quickly upwards and hit 6 G's during the pull-up, that will bleed a ton of energy.  You want to do a nice smooth pull-up into the zoom that does not exceed about 3 G's.  A nice smooth pull up that doesn't vary the G load much is your best transition into the zoom, and will retain maximum energy.  Oh, and be sure to have Combat Trim enabled to keep you in trim during these large speed changes.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
P47 vrs P51D at high alt
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
Lephturn

How do you read your Gs? the only indicator i could refer to is the "climb" meter.

One of these days ill figure out how and when to manualy trim. is there any cases where one could possibly bennifit from manual trim?

As always thank you Lephturn, you are a great help. I think the p47 is the only AC i have a positive K/D ratio in    :cool:

*could be wrong though* lol

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Am0n ]

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
P47 vrs P51D at high alt
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2001, 01:57:00 PM »
NM on the G status, i found it buy looking in the resources on the AH web page.

Still clueless about trim. (when and what to adjust it to for certain situations)

Ohh i was wrong about the kill to death ratio to! i have none that are 1:1  :mad:   :mad:

Offline 54Ed

• Zinc Member
P47 vrs P51D at high alt
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2001, 05:27:00 AM »
Too bad we can't feel G's like a real pilot.  I fly acro some, and it's pretty easy to tell when you exceed 3 G's.  Going over 4 is very noticeable.  Going past 5 is extremely uncomfortable.

A question on the P-47:  doesn't it have a better roll rate than the P-51?  If so, then isn't that a potential edge for flat scissors in a dive?

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: 54Ed ]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
P47 vrs P51D at high alt
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2001, 08:41:00 AM »
54Ed, not sure about the roll rate.  It will very likely depend on speed and flaps condition.  The 47 rolls very well though, so I'm inclined to think the Jug would have a slight advantage here, but not much of one.

Am0n,

The G meter is on your dashboard.  If you are flying the P47, just leave combat trim on, and don't worry about the manual trim.  The only time you might need it is at very low speeds, and if that is the case you may need some manual nose-up trim.  You don't want to get a Jug into a low speed fight like that anyway... I won't worry about it if I were you.  Let CT handle it, fly within your envelope, and you'll do fine.  Spend your time learning ACM and E management, those will pay off big.  Once you hold a 2:1 K/D over a tour, then think about manual trim.  :)

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
P47 vrs P51D at high alt
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
Lephturn

Good idea, starting to get the hang of energy management. I used to give up my alt advantage constantly buy "chasing the red boxes" (lack of better terms). Been playing mind numbing 3d shooters since they were invented, used to going right at the enemy full blast always.

The transition is great, learning somehting new is always a blast when its fun. So far i have 4 friends who were X-die-hard-3dshooter gamers who have abandoned there games for AH when i showed them how great it was.

I find that hovering over enemies high drives them nuts and makes them eventual climb hard to get you.. doom on them! bad move.

the p47-11 has more than spoiled me, all i need now is to get my mechanic to put some rear veiw mirrors in the darned thing. I tried to fly the 30 again, been a while and at 20k+250mph making a very slow flat turn.. stall stall stall.. dive to 300mph continue turning.. stall.. stall stall.. dead.

Im going to stick to the primarily to the hell cat for now, i think i should master one air craft. Still will have to fly the jug though, cant give up those 8 50s!!

thanks for all your help bud.