Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 16653 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2005, 12:31:15 AM »
Originally posted by moose
i snuck into scapa flow today and put 3 torps into the Illustrious.. 5 corvettes converged on my position and i pulled up next to the half sunken carrier and waited out a 6 hour barrage.  

What Month and Year?

I tried to sneak in on the 9th and 10th of April 1940.

Was surfaced until about 1130, spotted Armed Trawler Dove to escape. Thought I was in clear, wrong, he pinged me! He dropped a few Cans and I lost him.

More Ships inbound but far off for now, Silent Run for a few hours then surfaced spotted coastal search lights at main entrance to Scapa. Ship Spotted! I stay surfaced and try to avoid it. Wrong! Flower Corvette starts firing, I should have engaged him with my deck gun, but I dove.

He makes several passes and I get sunk just inside the main entrance.

Tell you the truth its the first time Ive been Pinged by Sonar and Depth Charged in my Career (Patrol 7)

I saved it in the open ocean outside of Scapa, but I need to get to bed, its been a very long day.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2005, 12:44:17 AM »
Originally posted by Nefarious
What Month and Year?

I tried to sneak in on the 9th and 10th of April 1940.

it was feb of '40 or so i think.. my 7th patrol

i had been tasked to AN23 and didnt find crap. sank a c3 on the way west to scapa and snuck in at periscope depth at 3kts during the middle of the night.. started my attack at about 0430 and didn't leave until after noon

was wonderous fun but realistically i should have been toast. funny thing was the 'vettes circled like a pack of wolves around the hulk of the illustrious (which was half sunk with me right alongside it at 20m) and a bunch of fighters went to bomb me and hit the carrier... it blew up some more and sunk into the sea floor leaving me with no cover. i quickly booked it and somehow snuck out without as much as a scratch

of course once i got out of the area and into open water i got divebombed by swordfish and a direct bomb hit killed my entire topside crew including my highest decorated officer. i was having problems anyway keeping the officers rested so im not too upset but i had him qualified as 3 jobs already so its going to be a pain until i can train someone else
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2005, 01:36:03 AM »
probably the best simulation of anything I have ever seen.
Hope they do a fighting sail game. They could do an awsome job of it.

Offline Nath_____

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.beatdownposse.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2005, 02:30:07 AM »
Got it to work.

Awesome game.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2005, 02:50:41 AM »
Originally posted by moose
i snuck into scapa flow today and put 3 torps into the Illustrious.. 5 corvettes converged on my position and i pulled up next to the half sunken carrier and waited out a 6 hour barrage. i eventually was able to sneak out very slowly and ran to the western exit and out after taking down a cruiser that was parked as well

im one lucky SOB :)

I went in to Scarpa Flow early in my career, and after a few close scrapes with patrols, and a lifetime limping along with the battery near death..i get finally there to find an empty port!

Originally posted by Siaf__csf
The new copy protections are so lame that they stop normal people from playing the game but they don't stop pirates from hacking them.

The first thing I'm gonna do is to install a no-cd hack to the game once I get it.

I could never get pass the copy protection on superpower II ( a legit copy too) it just flatly refused to recognise the disk...and i've never played it

Ran (literally) into a convoy with vis less than 500m on the surface - had 3 torps left - fired the front 2 into a T3 Tanker directly in front, and fired the rear at an american (neutral!) liner sinking both, before crash diving away...
Is there any penalty for sinking nuetrals? I've passed so many Norwiegen freighters without firing...When I rtb i got the diamonds to my Knights Cross - I was expecting a reprimand for the liner.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2005, 02:55:12 AM »
Originally posted by Nath_____
Got it to work.

Awesome game.

what was the solution to your problem? im curious
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2005, 03:46:56 AM »
What level of realism is everyone else using - I'm at 54%

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2005, 07:02:03 AM »
I got 92%, with only the external view enabled. Just so I can watch the ships blow, admire the graphics etc. :D

tronski,

You get negative renown and the neutrals will declare a 24 hour war on you.

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2005, 08:35:18 AM »
77% realism,

Anyone else get stuck on the bottom yet?  Was in shallow water and crashed dived to avoid air attack, forgot to check the depth and crashed into the bottom.  Not much damage but I could not move.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #219 on: March 28, 2005, 10:32:55 AM »
Tronski
I think medals are only based on tonage per patrol. The knights cross is defaulted to 40 000 tones. So I bet that liner got you the knights cross but cost you some prestige points.
Uboat badge is 10k
Iron Cross second is 20 k
Iron Cross first is 30k
Knights cross is 40k.
Dont know if they do diamonds and stuff at higher levels.

I was hunting arround in the config files trying to get my rest time between patrols down from a month(why would it take a month to rearm the 5 torps and the quart of oil in a Type II?) I found that out and set it to a week. And I found the medals config. I might have missunderstood it (maybe its tons in your career?) but thats what it looked like.

Im playing with the torp computer and with external camera.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #220 on: March 28, 2005, 11:42:36 AM »
Originally posted by stantond

I have to wonder, what is the observation periscope used for?  Is that supposed to give a better view over the horizon when surfaced or allow a greater field of view when submerged than the attack periscope?   I had a couple of dud torpedo's occurr during Naval training which was annoying, but cool!

Regards,

Malta

In RL the attack periscope was smaller and harder to see on the surface. It was used for quick up and down looks to check convoy positions and verify the calculations on the target speed and angle.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #221 on: March 28, 2005, 11:47:08 AM »
Will try again tonight.

Im thinking head up and round Scapa and Enter that smallest Entrance to the WNW, Anyone try that yet? Are they moored out in the open? or Near the base itself moored to a dock?

BTW the way I'm second in tonnage behind Schepke. 76000 Tons right now

And I play with full realisim, plus External View and Event View and Auto TDC I beleive its 61%
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 11:49:15 AM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2005, 12:21:02 PM »
I find it frustrating that we can't shoot bearings on the Nav map.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2005, 12:29:38 PM »
I still hate you all...my copy doesn't appear to be due to arrive until Friday.:mad:

Still, this thread is going to make most of my questions I'm bound to have obsolete.

By the way...is this game totally mouse driven, or is it keyboard and mouse?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2005, 02:52:49 PM »
I beleive they had Gyros for the initial turn, but that was it (It's best to take your shot with a 5 deg angle max to avoid using the gyros)

I went to Freetown, and found nothing. If you guys have the time, go & visit NYC (In the game) looks fantastic!

66% here now... I put the external view back on cause it's just soo prety :)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.