Author Topic: Favorite World War II movie  (Read 2032 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Favorite World War II movie
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 12:03:55 PM »
The Great Escape
Enemy at the Gates
Saving Private Ryan
Dark Blue World

from the small bit of band of brothers i have seen it is great, but i have only seen like 2 "shows" or whatever

Hart's War was mediocre, the snotty senators son, what's his name, all talking about duty really wrecked the movie. if in the end bruce willis killed him in the night too it would have been great.

memphis belle JB42 hates LOL, but i kind of like it. i like it for the non war footage, the dance hall with the bomber in the background, the scenes of having to wait to takeoff because of cloud cover, all that stuff.

i have not had the chance to watch a ton of the older movies, since i have no patience for commercials, and forget to get back after the break, hence losing my place in the story.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 12:09:21 PM »
Golly-geen people ! Big Red ****ing One. Das Boot. The great escape. Shindlers List.  

And there are several more that are leagues better than drippy bellybutton enemy at the gates.

Private Ryan for historical accuracy ? LOL!
That was ET meets normandy. We're supposed to believe that a bunch of joined-the-army-last-year slack jawed f'ups led by a reservist school teacher are lifer commandos ?

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 12:18:58 PM »
Ok lets see.

Accuracy

Das Boot
Private Ryan ( the first twenty minutes and the last battle.)
Band of Brothers
Untergang ( Downfall )

Sort of Accurate but Damn good despite the flaws

Enemy at the Gate
Battle of Britain
Memphis Belle
Dark Blue World
Stalingrad
Schindlers List
A bridge too far
Longest Day

Entertainment Value
Kellys Heroes
Great Escape
Heroes of Telemark
The Eagle Has Landed
Pearl Harbour ( great air combat stuff? )

Different and interesting
The Thin red Line
The Young Lions ( the book is better )
Come and see ( its Russian and bloody depressing! )
Ice Cold in Alex
Captain Corellis Mandolin ( never read the book but liked the film )

Probably got some more but thats all I can think of.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005, 12:23:33 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime

For Historical accuracy... (snip) and Saving Private Ryan

::snicker::

Pearl Harbor too, eh?

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 12:25:10 PM »
One that nobody has mentioned, "They Were Expendable". John Ford did'nt make any bad movies. Robert Montgomery actually directed the last half of the film at Ford's suggestion after Ford fell ill.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 12:25:38 PM »
Das Boot
MIDWAY
Tora Tora Tora
The Sands of Iwo Jima
PATTON

I can watch any of those films any number of times and not get tired of them.  Also note that none of them were made recently.  All of the major WW2 films made in the last decade are complete trash.

J_A_B

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 12:44:06 PM »
I've always liked Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan for WWII infantry type films, although the Longest Day and was also good. (Never could figure out what kind of planes the 2 luftwaffe pilots were flying in that film, but they defintely were not Bf-109's...)
Other genrally aviation related  films that I've enjoyed are:

Tora Tora Tora
Midway
Memphis Belle
12 O'clock High
Battle of Britain

and.........

Pearl Harbor - wife and daughters enjoy the love story side of it, so we've watched it several times, but come on, lines like
"remember, a P-40 can't outrun a Zero - we're just gonna have to outfly them!"
IIRC, at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack, most USAAC pilots didn't even know what a Zero was, right?  Then there's the thing about P-40E's (?) being used when it should have been P-40B's.  Oh, and Doolittle bypassed all the twin-engine trained pilots who'd been checked out on the B-25's, and substituted the whole single engine, pursuit squadron who'd been at Pearl Harbor? 17 year old navy nurses?  Weren't all the nurses officers? at 17?
Ok - I'll stop.  Anyway - wife and girls like it, and I like the arial scenery, so it's a good thing when your whole family can sit down and enjoy the same film.  I've obviously got too much time when I write this much crap.....

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2005, 12:50:57 PM »
I'll always stay up to watch a good war flick..

A Bridge to far..and Patton!:D

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2005, 12:54:53 PM »
Originally posted by SKJohn
I've always liked Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan for WWII infantry type films, although the Longest Day and was also good. (Never could figure out what kind of planes the 2 luftwaffe pilots were flying in that film, but they defintely were not Bf-109's...)
Other genrally aviation related  films that I've enjoyed are:

Tora Tora Tora
Midway
Memphis Belle
12 O'clock High
Battle of Britain

The "109s" in Longest Day were actually ME 108s, which is a four seat bird if memory serves

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepME-108.html

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2005, 12:56:13 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
One that nobody has mentioned, "They Were Expendable". John Ford did'nt make any bad movies. Robert Montgomery actually directed the last half of the film at Ford's suggestion after Ford fell ill.

Fer shame, RPM. Beat yah too it. Check my post upthread.

Nyahhh nayhh!! neeener, neener, neener, ;)

::snicker::  Pearl Harbor too, enh?

Jeeze, Saurdaukar, possibly yer eyeballs are defective. That POS ain't anywhere on my list. Now, if you've got a WWII movie that's MORE historically accurate than the two (SPR & BoBro's) I picked, I'd love to see it.

::snicker:: yerself!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2005, 01:03:57 PM »
a bridge to far

soldaat van oranje( by paul verhoeven, Rutger van houwen jeroen krabbee)
its the best the dutch made.

saving private ryan and its style in the band of brothers.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2005, 01:05:36 PM »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2005, 01:08:14 PM »
I can't really say I have a favorite, I love WW2 movies in general.

One of my personal favorites I haven't seen mentioned is The Dam Busters.

Another I haven't seen mentioned that I'm partial to is 633 Squadron. Not really that spectacular a movie, but the flying scenes are great.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2005, 01:12:37 PM »
The best epic full-scale WWII film is "Osvobozhdenie" ("Liberation") by Yuri Ozerov.

Re-watched it several weeks ago, was amazed how brilliantly it is made! In a forced crossing of Dniepr scene you see a T-34 on a pontoon being hit by a German shell, it slids into the water and goes upside-down, and then you understand it's a REAL tank really sinking in the river... And it's only a small detail in the background of the whole scene...

Surprisingly - very little "Party line" crap.

"Enemy at the gates" is a crap. I mean - a figment of sick imagination from the very beginning to the end. The only real detail is that there indeed was a sniper "duel" between Vasiliy Zaitsev and Maj. König (König's rifle is on display in Armed Forces Museum in Moscow).  I really love the scene where Evil NKVD shoots attacking soldiers in the back... In such a case they'll end up lifted on bayonets in a matter of seconds...

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2005, 01:15:24 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
Fer shame, RPM. Beat yah too it. Check my post upthread.

Nyahhh nayhh!! neeener, neener, neener, ;)
D'oh! must have overlooked it. Just a note, the flying scenes from Deep Blue World were cut from Battle of Britan. ;)

Another great film that's often overlooked is "Decision Before Dawn". It's about a German POW sent back to Germany to spy for the Allies. Great flick.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 01:18:10 PM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.