Author Topic: Favorite World War II movie  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Favorite World War II movie
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2005, 01:18:02 PM »
Boroda, you freakin commie martyr reactionist stalinist apologist... Enemy at the Gates is the only western film I've seen that gives even a slight indication of how horrific the Seige at Stalingrad was..

Plot, acting, poor; unbelievable. Scenes, 'feel'.. nicely done.

to The Rooski's, the turning point to the war in europe came BEFORE pearl harbor!

Now, go slice an onion and slam back some pepper vodka. Any chance the film you mention is avaiable for the west? with subtitles in english? would love to see it.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2005, 01:18:36 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
snip
"Enemy at the gates" is a crap.

I agree, but I really enjoyed the book.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2005, 01:20:58 PM »
Originally posted by culero

culero

"War of the Rats".  Great read. Good historical 'sidebar' woven with fitional plots. Eye-opener with regards to Stalingrad.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2005, 01:22:41 PM »
TALK TO ME GOOSE!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2005, 01:26:46 PM »
WWII films, Yeager.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2005, 01:47:28 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
Boroda, you freakin commie martyr reactionist stalinist apologist... Enemy at the Gates is the only western film I've seen that gives even a slight indication of how horrific the Seige at Stalingrad was..

Plot, acting, poor; unbelievable. Scenes, 'feel'.. nicely done.

to The Rooski's, the turning point to the war in europe came BEFORE pearl harbor!

Well, 90% of the "offence" about that film is because it was made in the West. Now we have our own films that are many times worse then EatG. Typical plot is: criminals released from jail fight nazis and bloody cops... er, officers hinder them.

Some scenes sound like Soviet jokes: "Granny, and why do you have such a big nose?" - "It's because I am a Jew", said a Wolf and started to cry...

Soviet soldiers are mindless cattle. Officers are bastards who hate them... Stalingrad veterans organisation was really enraged by EatG...

Originally posted by Hangtime
Now, go slice an onion and slam back some pepper vodka. Any chance the film you mention is avaiable for the west? with subtitles in english? would love to see it.

Drinking ordinary stuff now, no pepper or onions :(

I didn't think I'll see "Liberation" on TV any more, you know, any film where Soviet soldiers are always on "good side" are considered "politically incorrect" now (see the schoolbook thread).

Made a search in Edonkey network - didn't find any links :(

Only an article on IMDB: http://imdb.com/title/tt0151852/

The original Soviet film is 5 episodes long and starts from Kursk battle.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2005, 01:48:45 PM »
Originally posted by culero

culero

You mean "There is no land behind Volga for us" by Vasiliy Zaitsev? Unfortunately I didn't read it :(

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2005, 01:49:12 PM »
DOH!

goose is in heaven now......
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2005, 01:53:06 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
The best epic full-scale WWII film is "Osvobozhdenie" ("Liberation") by Yuri Ozerov.

Re-watched it several weeks ago, was amazed how brilliantly it is made! In a forced crossing of Dniepr scene you see a T-34 on a pontoon being hit by a German shell, it slids into the water and goes upside-down, and then you understand it's a REAL tank really sinking in the river... And it's only a small detail in the background of the whole scene...

Surprisingly - very little "Party line" crap.

Can't agree. Yep, it is "epic" movie but I would say it has only 5% of truth.

I would say that the best Russian WW2 movies are "Guga", "V boy idut odni stariki", "Torpedonoscy", "A zory zdes tihie". It is a real war,  not Hollywood sweet fairy tales. After re-watching that  movies I want to bring flowers to the monuments to war dead.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2005, 02:03:51 PM »
Originally posted by Vad
Can't agree. Yep, it is "epic" movie but I would say it has only 5% of truth.

Yeah, 95% of truth must be in "Shtrafbat"!...

I like it for the scale and the feeling of the battle... I didn't see it for maybe 15-20 years, and now it looks quite different then at that times for me.

Interesting fact: two T-44s decoyed as Tigers that acted in Yuri Ozerov's films were bought from Mosfilm by Americans, and you can see them in "Saving private Ryan".

Originally posted by Vad
I would say that the best Russian WW2 movies are "Guga", "V boy idut odni stariki", "Torpedonoscy", "A zory zdes tihie". It is a real war,  not Hollywood sweet fairy tales. After re-watching that  movies I want to bring flowers to the monuments to war dead.

"Guga" - what's that?

Other films you mentioned - I posted about them here many times. Some more to mention are "They fought for the Motherland", "Dive-bomber chronicles", "At War as at War", "Test on the roads".

From modern films I'll advise Zvezda, labeled as "communist propaganda" at some European film-festival in 2002.

Isn't it strange that films like Zvezda or Balabanov's "Vojna" ("War") are never issued on DVD in the West?...

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »
bill and teds bogus adventure

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2005, 03:20:04 PM »
Flying Leatherneck
Halls of Montezuma
Midway
To Hell and Back
Tora! Tora! Tora!

Gotta say that Pearl Harbor and Windtalkers are worst movie ever made for WWII Film.
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2005, 03:22:34 PM »
My ALL TIME FAVORITE:

The Cruel Sea

Some of my other Faves (only those that haven't got many mentions to date):

Guns of Navarone
Bridge over the River Kwai
The War Lover
King Rat
The Dambusters
Sink the Bismark
Hell is for Heroes

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2005, 03:30:28 PM »
Lol, nobody mentioned Catch 22. :)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2005, 03:32:45 PM »
Dumbo.  It came out during WWII, right?

Makes me all teary-eyed just thinking about it.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo