Author Topic: Favorite World War II movie  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Favorite World War II movie
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2005, 07:41:57 PM »
Capt. Stransky: "I will show you how an officer fights."

Sgt. Steiner : "And I will show you where the iron crosses grow."

My fav....Cross of Iron
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2005, 07:44:47 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar

Every time I hear "P51's, sir!  Tank busters!" I want to kick my dog.

Just for chuckles I did a quick search to see if there may have been some sort of historical relivence to that.
found this bit of info on another board and thought it interesting.

"Re: P-51's The A-36 Apache was an Alison engined P51 specialized for dive bombing/ground attack. They were more common in the Mediterranean (even then not very), but apparently acquired a decent reputation for ground support, possibly even tankbusting. Problem was, they looked much like 51’s, and everybody that didn’t actually fly them called them P51. I don’t know whether any served during Overlord, and they were gradually withdrawn in 1944, as P51’s replaced P47’s in the fighter role and all those P47’s needed something to do. There may therefore be some tenuous historical background for seeing a “P-51 tankbuster” at the end of the movie.
More likely however, Spielberg used 51’s as these are the most well known us fighter of the period and flying examples are much more commonly available."

Just thought it interesting.
If he used a vet who didnt know any better that may explain th reason for it.

Remember the soldiers of the day were far more interesting in their own personal equipment then what specific equipment members of the other services such as the AAC may be using.
I'm sure to alot of guys on the ground as far as they were concerned there were only 2 types of AC. Fighters and bombers.

In short they werent as equipment savvy as we are today 60+ years later and with the benifit of hindsite as well as having the time to study these things over many years and not a few short ones while getting shot at a good deal of the time LOL

Reminds me of the Don Rickles line in  Kellys Heros whewn he finds a landmine and tells Savalis. Savalis says "What kind is it?" and Rickles replies "the kind that blows up! How the hell would I know what kind it is?" lmao
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 07:48:20 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2005, 07:57:43 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
My eyeballs were defective, but I had them lightsabered and now I see just fine.

SPR is about as accurate from a situational standpoint (and thus historical) as PH.

Every time I hear "P51's, sir!  Tank busters!" I want to kick my dog.

Yes, it makes me that mad.

That and over-ripe bananas.

Dad Boot would be at the top of my list.

oooookayy.. I'll see yer bogus p-51 'tankbuster' in SPR for and raise yah on the totally bogus gibraltar bit & the hokey leak damage control in Das Boot. Everytime I see it, I wanna call shenannigans and get my broom.

Hans-Rudolf Rösing:
"As far as the types of people with the submarines, their behaviour and so on, it is excellent. But on the other hands many things in it are nonsence. For instance the break through of the Straits of Gibraltar - it was unreal.

Also the leakage underwater which they fought by trying to stop the water with the wood - it's nonsense because the water pressure would have been too high. I had a leakage with my boat when it had been rammed in peacetime [U11] We were rammed by another Weddigen boat, and of course we were in danger because they had the net saw on them. The bow of the other boat hit ours directly aft of the torpedo tubes. And then with the saw he rode over us pushing us to the side, making holes under the waterline when we flipped back upright. So in the forward compartment we had some leaks. But we were surfaced therefore it was possible of course to keep the tide and make her tight again so we could go to the shipyards."

neeener neeener neener.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2005, 10:17:16 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
One that nobody has mentioned, "They Were Expendable". John Ford did'nt make any bad movies. Robert Montgomery actually directed the last half of the film at Ford's suggestion after Ford fell ill.

Good movie, based on the exploits of John D Bulkely,  for  GREAT  read, pick up his book. This man got Mac out of the Philipines, ran a PT boat off Normady on Dday and took on Castro as the comander of gitmo after the castro took over.

Book on amazon. Could not put it down once I started. Hell he stole the Japanses ambasadores breif case just before WW2 started!

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2005, 10:25:39 PM »
wow hangtime, i forgot all those great movies you listed.

Hap

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2005, 10:26:24 PM »
IMO is Das Boot is one of the most accurate war films, ever. Hands Down.

Whats so bogus about the Gibralter scene in Das Boot?

Your quote says Rosing says it was unreal. But he doesnt state why.

Is he calling it unreal because U96 didnt make it through and was forced to return to base?

As for using wood, Wood was commonly carried and used, as for its effectiveness, I dont know.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2005, 10:31:14 PM »
Originally posted by Nefarious
IMO is Das Boot is one of the most accurate war films, ever. Hands Down.

Whats so bogus about the Gibralter scene in Das Boot?

Your quote says Rosing says it was unreal. But he doesnt state why.

Is he calling it unreal because U96 didnt make it through and was forced to return to base?

As for using wood, Wood was commonly carried and used, as for its effectiveness, I dont know.

Shhhhh! I agree with yah. was just tossin dookie inta Saur's cream of wheat. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

storch

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2005, 10:45:20 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Good movie, based on the exploits of John D Bulkely,  for  GREAT  read, pick up his book. This man got Mac out of the Philipines, ran a PT boat off Normady on Dday and took on Castro as the comander of gitmo after the castro took over.

Book on amazon. Could not put it down once I started. Hell he stole the Japanses ambasadores breif case just before WW2 started!

what was the book titled and please verify the spelling of the author's name.  thanks

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2005, 10:55:36 PM »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2005, 11:03:14 PM »
I sorta like Thunderbolt, filmed during war.  It's a documentary
filmed out of Sardinia and very well done.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2005, 11:23:22 PM »
Originally posted by Rino
I sorta like Thunderbolt, filmed during war.  It's a documentary
filmed out of Sardinia and very well done.

Thunderbolt was filmed around the 57th FG,12th AF.

They used a bunch of the film later in the making of "Fighter Squadron" also using Jugs.

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
regarding Saving Private Ryan
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2005, 11:27:27 PM »
You gents are aware that the premise for the 'rescue' was based on the story of the Niland brothers?

One was killed in Saint Mere Eglise with the 82nd.  One died on Utah with the 4th Infantry, and one went missing in a bomber over Burma.  The surviving brother, Fritz Niland was with the 501st PIR, 101st Airborne and had been badly misdropped so he was part of a very isolated small unit.

The 501st Chaplain, Father Sampson, first told the story in his biography and implied that Niland had been pulled off the line.  It carried on and was told, not entirely accurately based on this original telling.

Fritz Niland did in fact get pulled out of combat, but it was after the 101st as a unit came out.  He was sent home and finished out his time as an MP stateside.

The MIA brother in Burma later returned from a Japanese POW camp.

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2005, 12:11:52 AM »
Originally posted by storch
what was the book titled and please verify the spelling of the author's name.  thanks

Sea Wolf : The Daring Exploits of Navy Legend John D. Bulkely
by WILLIAM BREUER
ISBN: 0891416633

The link took me right to the page.

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2005, 03:49:37 AM »
Was a Film as well as a TV series.

Very Accurate I reckon! ;)

Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler!:lol

Offline bob149

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2005, 05:20:43 AM »
Battle of Britain...tops film
You can teach monkies to fly better than that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!