Author Topic: Favorite World War II movie  (Read 2037 times)

storch

Favorite World War II movie
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2005, 07:27:05 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Sea Wolf : The Daring Exploits of Navy Legend John D. Bulkely
by WILLIAM BREUER
ISBN: 0891416633

The link took me right to the page.

don't I feel like a dumbarse.  thanks

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2005, 11:14:27 AM »
Skydancer,

While I love the exploits of Dad's Army and can't think of it without the Formby classic "Guarding the Home of the Home Guard" going through my head, my favorite WW2 series was the Thames TV offering DANGER UXB:

Just wish I could afford to get it on DVD...

- SEAGOON

(Off to hang out the washing on the Siegfried line)
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2005, 11:19:55 AM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Skydancer,

While I love the exploits of Dad's Army and can't think of it without the Formby classic "Guarding the Home of the Home Guard" going through my head, my favorite WW2 series was the Thames TV offering DANGER UXB:

Just wish I could afford to get it on DVD...

- SEAGOON

(Off to hang out the washing on the Siegfried line)

Agreed.  That was a great series.  Saw that on Masterpiece Theater on PBS.  Seems like that was a long time ago.  Great stories though

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2005, 05:04:27 PM »
u571!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2005, 05:39:15 PM »
Das Boot

Because it's not another Hollywood rewrite of history, it's realistic and sticks to the true story of a U-Boat patrol especally the directors version.

There's no propergander, no BS,no love stories and some hero saving the free world.

...-Gixer

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2005, 05:43:22 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
u571!

You have to be kidding me? That's probably one of the worst movies ever made other then for the sub.

...-Gixer

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2005, 05:46:50 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
You have to be kidding me? That's probably one of the worst movies ever made other then for the sub.

...-Gixer

you are the worst! you should be ashamed to discredit those brave american sailors stealing the enigma machine.  shame on you.

u571 was the best!
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2005, 05:50:23 PM »
you are the worst! you should be ashamed to discredit those brave american sailors stealing the enigma machine.  shame on you.

u571 was the best!

:rofl

You have to be kidding me.

...-Gixer

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2005, 05:53:17 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
:rofl

You have to be kidding me.

...-Gixer

no.

you suck.

u571 is the best film ever.

i dare you to find one historical innaccuracy there.

america won the war by stealing the enigma machine.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2005, 06:11:49 PM »
LOL!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2005, 06:13:05 PM »
no.

you suck.

u571 is the best film ever.

i dare you to find one historical innaccuracy there.

america won the war by stealing the enigma machine.

LMAO

U-571 was sunk off Western Ireland by an Australian Sunderland in 1944

The whole movie is completely fictitious (typical hollywood BS)  the US had nothing to do at all with the capture of Enigma untill the last 10 months of the war when they captured U-505

Enigma was captured from U-110 by the  British Destroyer Bulldog in 1941 and is still regarded as the most important capture of the entire war.

I'm sure your just taking the pi** and the movie was good for it's effects but that's about it. As far as histoy it scores a zero. Though luckly they did have sense enough to credit the crew of the Bulldog for the engima capture at the end credits of the movie.

...-Gixer

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2005, 07:05:35 PM »
Hey seagoon Danger UXB was great, but what about Escape from Colditz, or Piece of Cake.

Did you ever see "Over Here " Very funny take on Anglo American relations during WW2

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2005, 11:27:24 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
Shhhhh! I agree with yah. was just tossin dookie inta Saur's cream of wheat. ;)

I see your dookie and raise you a nookie.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2005, 11:59:03 PM »
Enigma was captured from...  

Marian Rejewski, Jerzy Rozycki, Henryk Zygalski and other cryptoanalysts from BS4, broke into Kriegsmarine code in November 1932.

By the end of December 1932 Reichswehr Enigma code was partly broken by Marian Rejewski.

Fully decrypted Enigma texts were read by BS4 since mid January 1933.

During Roehm's Putsch in June 1934 Enigma messages were read within minutes from their interception.

During two weeks long cryptographic exercises organised at BS4 in January 1938 up to 75 percent of secret German communication was decrypted within hours from interception.

Wehrmacht correspondence was decrypted as efficiently up to November 1938 and Sicherheitsdienst up to 1st July 1939. Once Chi-Dienst upgraded German Enigmas BS4 lost its possibilities and between November 1938 and Summer 1939 only one in ten Wehrmacht despatch was read.

In July 1939 BS4 shared its secrets with GC&CS and cypher section of the French SR.

In October 1939 evacuated from Poland BS4 codebreakers resumed their work in France as Equipe Z

On 17th January 1940 Equipe Z as the first Allied codebreaking team broke wartime Enigma daily key and immediately passed its findings to Bletchley Park. Bletchley Park began its mass codebreaking work.

Equipe Z was active until November 1942 when Wehrmacht occupied Vichy and German RDF vehicles were spotted near its premise.

In total Poles decrypted Enigma cypher for ten years from December 1932 until November 1942.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2005, 12:54:59 AM »
I went to a lecture on the Enigma machine, damn fascinating bit of kit.  Afterwards they let you have a go on one too!  Amazing when you think what history this machine had!!

Seagoon/Skydancer, ever remember "Secret Army"?  What used to be my favourite WW2 series - it was about the Belgian resistance (and what 'Allo 'Allo was based on!!! :))

As for Das Boot, they actually built a a real U-Boat for that film.  It's in the studios not far from where I live, and I really should go and visit it sometime!
NEXX