Author Topic: Apple to switch to Intel processors  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Apple to switch to Intel processors
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2005, 04:31:43 PM »
OK... so Sun carried some xeon servers for a little over 18 months. That pretty much supported what I said. As far as workstations... who cares?

And... you really don't want to comare sales between the two companies lada, it won't support your position at all. And, you don't want to compare market share between Intel and Sun in the server world either. That would show something glaring that you seem to be missing: Intel and Sun are competitors. Sun using any of their processors is not by choice, but rather necessity.

Offline genozaur

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2005, 05:04:24 PM »
Originally posted by Suave This is uglier than the circumcision thread.
:D

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2005, 05:34:25 PM »
Awww.... lada's just a bit confused as to how announcements translate. For example: when IBM announced they were no longer going to use Pentiums since they were unreliable (at the time they sold licensing for their manufacturing process to AMD) and then proceded to retract the statement to much less fanfare a month later.

At least... that's the only reason why I can see he'd bring an "Intel is losing badly" line into a thread where Intel is gaining ground. I'm sure the Apple chip sales won't be near what the sun entry level server sales were for 18 months, but Intel will try to struggle on.

Dismiss apple deal as nothing... promote sun switch as relevant. Yeppers... that's buisness sense for ya.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 05:38:16 PM »
P.S. Lada... the mobile chip issue mentioned above applies to AMD also. It's the same manufacturing process.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 07:54:06 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
I'm not so sure it will be that easy to hack. They have had 5 years of intese testing and have prolly figured out a way to lock OSX to macs.

Not saying it wont be done, but i doubt it will happen that fast.

I am willing to bet that macs will come down in price tho.

I doubt it, back on the 68000 days I used to run the old Mac OS on Amigas (which ran it faster on a cheaper platform ;)  ).

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2005, 03:08:52 AM »
Once again you spew your mac hatred on this board. I have guys watching you Vulcan so you be careful. :cool:

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2005, 05:35:40 AM »
Once again you spew your mac hatred on this board. I have guys watching you Vulcan so you be careful. :cool:

Meh, you're small fry and of little challenge to me, I'm surrounded in my office by Mac dweebs, 2 of which are fully certified Mac techies (in fact 2 of them are away at that Apple conference in the USA listening to Job's propaganda machine).

But heres my prediction, sometime in 2006 Apple will partner with a big PC player (read Dell or HP) and start moving away from hardware production to purely software (except Ipods).

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2005, 06:05:17 AM »
You are beeing monitored Vulcan.

I belive you are one of "those"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2005, 05:17:40 PM »
You are beeing monitored Vulcan.

I belive you are one of "those"

Muahahahahaha, I run the network here boy, and they're the ones that are being monitored (and throttled)... them and their multicast-happy apples.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2005, 05:23:02 PM »

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2005, 05:50:46 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
OK... so Sun carried some xeon servers for a little over 18 months. That pretty much supported what I said. As far as workstations... who cares?

I would say that Sun microsystem is selling Intel based machines since pentium P3.

No Intel can not compare to SPARC in highend solutions, yes Sun doesnt sell cheap sparcs for office dudes.

I dont think that Intel is competitor for Sun. What can intel offer me, if i would like to have 16 CPU, 64bit  unit with 128Gb of RAM ? ...

probably Megacool Celeron ;)

Sun cover diferent segment of market.
But i started to speak about it from diferent reason.

If you will have a look, what Sun selling today as Entry level servers, you will find 64bit opteron.

So ... we have UltraSparc - 64bit risc CPU
then we have cisc 64 bit AMD opteron CPU
and then we have Intel with their [ i would say obsolete] 32 bit cisc platform

I realy do not understand, why did apple chose company with most poor offer at the moment.  And now i wanna hear you trough about their choose.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 05:53:44 PM by lada »

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2005, 05:57:19 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Muahahahahaha, I run the network here boy, and they're the ones that are being monitored (and throttled)... them and their multicast-happy apples.

LOL that remind me.... its fun to turn on port security on cisco switches....  Once your apple start to flood network with multicasts, mr cisco take it as packet storm and shutdown that port :D

that little apple is pretty noisy on the wire s

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2005, 06:18:30 PM »
Originally posted by lada
LOL that remind me.... its fun to turn on port security on cisco switches....  Once your apple start to flood network with multicasts, mr cisco take it as packet storm and shutdown that port :D

that little apple is pretty noisy on the wire s

Meh, I stay away from Cisco gear, I prefer something with functionality and quality.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2005, 11:55:50 PM »
Wow lada... just saying sun and intel aren't direct competitors really speaks volumes. Intel covers a much more diverse market, but that market also includes entry level up to mid range servers. That is a considerable amount of Sun's product offerings... or do you actually believe they survive selling the big systems?

PS... in all likelyhood, those opterons are running 32bit unless they have Solaris 10 loaded on them. I'm betting with those wopping 2 and 4 chip servers, that's not gonna happen.

And nothing you posted even remotely suggested P-3s in suns. Maybe in a different post? They've always looked at them, but ever since Intel introduced the Itanium and kicked the cache up on the xeons, there's been no love lost between the companies.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2005, 02:53:20 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D

PS... in all likelyhood, those opterons are running 32bit unless they have Solaris 10 loaded on them. I'm betting with those wopping 2 and 4 chip servers, that's not gonna happen.

And nothing you posted even remotely suggested P-3s in suns. Maybe in a different post? They've always looked at them, but ever since Intel introduced the Itanium and kicked the cache up on the xeons, there's been no love lost between the companies.

Well look.... if you buy Sunfire with 4 opterons and install 32 bit OS on then... then  there is no way to help you.

belive me or not, we are compaling everything from scratch with these flags.

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

I realy do not know, why should i run 32 bit applications on 64bit machine. Specialy, when i can compile software however i wish. (and yes i have both 64bit linux and 64bit Windows Xp on my home machine)

Regarding P3 in Sun, try google before asking
http://www.sun.qassociates.co.uk/servers-entry-level-v60x-dv.htm
[shall i now find some Sun with celerons or you will belive me, that Sun sell intel based servers all the time ? ]

And about Itaniam... yes intel introduced it, then they hide it somehow, coz it had someminor issues whitch made it useless.
For example it cant emulate 32 bit CPU w/o software help.  Does you local computer store sell Itanium ? Our local stores dont.

HiTech might join this thread and tell us, whitch Sun is hosting AH server ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 02:55:33 AM by lada »