Author Topic: Who makes better engines: HONDA (VTECH) or BMW (Valve-tronic)  (Read 2951 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
...?

pick one and have your reasons/ technical evidences ready with you

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Who makes better engines: HONDA (VTECH) or BMW (Valve-tronic)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 02:28:46 PM »
Still have a 93 Civic VX with 250,000 miles on the same engine - very hard to destroy that engine. A 2001 civic with 60,000 that I sold last year b/c of moving.

Now have an 2004 Acura TSX 4 banger with VTEC - same basic engine with a wider bore.

So 3 cars, same engine - they don't break. Nuff said.

Wolf

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 02:40:31 PM »
How do you break an engine anyway? Can't do it with regular driving can you?

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 02:44:26 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
How do you break an engine anyway? Can't do it with regular driving can you?

if you are female, yes.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 02:47:12 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
if you are female, yes.

Didn't think that far.. good point.

Or perhaps old retired people driving around in first gear (kinda like Schumi)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 02:49:19 PM »
Originally posted by Wolfala

Now have an 2004 Acura TSX 4 banger with VTEC - same basic engine with a wider bore.

Wolf

TSX

Honda/Acura lovers' wet dream (for a practical, lightweight, and bulletproof engine sports sedan)

lol 5-7 years from now... Teens (looking for  1st car/practical car that can be upgraded ASIAN style :)) will start hunting for that car... like what they did to Acura Integra.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 02:52:45 PM »
none of them VW makes thhe best engines.
;)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 02:58:11 PM »
Originally posted by BUG_EAF322
none of them VW makes thhe best engines.
;)

huh...

but here in america... they break!:D even when you drive it out of the dealer!

(do you guys get made-in-mexico VWs?)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 03:02:36 PM »
Their engine lines don't really overlap.  Honda makes the best 4 cyl engines below ~2.5 liters and BMW makes the best 6+ cyl engines over 2.5 liters.  They both make 6 cyl engines around 3.0 liters which are comparable.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 03:04:25 PM »
So far as breaking cars, my mom is a professional. Had 3 VW bus's, 2 Ford Windstars, a Mitsubushi Montero and now working on a VW Passat. She literally, will destroy a car in under 60,000 miles.

I asked my CO if we could just give her **** to test out b/c we'll know rather quickly whether or not it is MILSPEC or not. I think our entire equipment testing regimine should be based on giving them to women, and IF they survive, then give the MILSPEC pimping of approval.

But otherwise yes, love the TSX - no problems other then a warrenty replacement of a wireharnass and window rocker switch. The Navigation option is generations ahead of what I-drive could ever hope to evolve into - I drove with it all the way across the US to my new home in cali with not a single map. Moving to a new area was indespensable, but importantly was intuitive and useful - I've been drivingin the 7 series BMW my parents just got for the last 2 days before flying over to Moscow tomorrow, and the I-drive totally kills the package b/c it is just plain retarded - aside from it being a kickass ride overall.

So to answer yr question - both companies are extremely high quality. It just depends on how much you want to spend - IMO though, the Honda line gives you better value - i.e. stuff comes standard in the TSX that you need to pay an extra 6-8,000 USD in the 3 series BMW to get - and even then falls short in many areas (i.e. Navigation).

Wolf
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 03:06:30 PM by Wolfala »

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 03:16:02 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
if you are female, yes.

Bingo... my wife uses a binary throttle.
sand

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »
I've seen a few dead engines killed during "normal" driving by competent drivers.  My Mom is a skilled and competent driver by any standard (she's attended autox and road course competition driving courses and actually had fun) and her Chevy V6 (celebrity 2.8L if I recall correctly) blew a head gasket for no good reason.  My Dad managed to toss a piston out of the side of a Ford 255 V8, and although the car was geared for 55 (3 speed auto, thank you very much Pres Carter) and he usually drove it around at 80, I'm not sure steady-state freeway driving like that in an otherwise healthy vehicle would constitute "abuse" either.  Neither engine made it to 100,000 miles before rebuild/replacement.

My firebird LS-1 on the other hand, has exceeded 100,000 miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil even though I raced it for about 4 autox seasons and for the last year have "abused" it by running the crappiest gas sold in the UK through it.  There isn't a nastier brand of gas sold in a western country than the tax subsidized crap sold on US military bases in the UK, but even drinking that stuff my car seems to run reasonably well.

Having seen friends lose BMW engines and knowing that the BMW engines don't run too well on the subsidized gas I use (almost invariably sets the check-engine light in BMWs) while the Hondas run it just fine, my vote would go to the Honda engine.  But that's only based on listening to friends gripe since I don't own either.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 05:03:05 PM »
That makes perfect sense.  BMWs generally require a higher test fuel.  Compression on my 1.9 4-banger is like 10:1.  It requies 89 min Octane or the valves start to get angry.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 07:18:46 PM »
what makes a "vtec" engine better then a normal engine, i never knew what Vtec means, can someone shed light on this?

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 07:37:54 PM »
BMW! because i know what it means "Bayerische Motoren Werke" ;)

HONDA? dunno.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.