Author Topic: How to Kill a CAP [film]  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« on: June 24, 2005, 10:21:36 AM »
In the last couple of months, lots of people have asked me to post a Tempest film.  Here's one I filmed last night that I unimaginatively call "How to Kill a CAP."  I took off from a rear field in a Tempest and engaged the enemy horde on my own terms at a field that, when I had initially arrived, had no hangars of any sort left standing.  By the end, the field started popping back up again, and the enemy's efforts to capture the base were in vain.

The Tempest is that good if you use it properly.  Notice that I ignore bombers during the fighting since they take tons of ammo and had mostly done their jobs on the base already.  I concentrated instead on eliminating the fighter CAP, and that strategy seemed to pay off.

Here is the film.  Enjoy!  As always, questions and comments are welcome.

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 10:33:55 AM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 01:51:23 PM »
Holy chit!! :o :aok

Nice flying, one can learn a lot on spiral climbing in that one :D

Cheers!

[edit]
btw, how can I set the Film Viewer so that it plays the sound of the aircraft I am in?

[edit2]
you didnt even notice you were flying a Tiffy :lol
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 01:54:50 PM by Keiler »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 02:08:58 PM »
Originally posted by Keiler
you didnt even notice you were flying a Tiffy :lol

Thanks for the comments, Keiler.  :)  The film viewer actually shows a Tempest as a Typhoon for some reason.  You can tell that I'm flying a Tempest because no gun barrels stick out of the wings like in the Typhoon.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 03:12:47 PM »
Above all else, what I find most impressive is your aim. It's uncanny!!!:eek:
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 03:17:03 PM »
Scary is a word which describes it pretty well also.......
Hizookas with aimbot :D

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 03:43:49 PM »
>>Above all else, what I find most impressive is your aim. It's uncanny!!!<<

Really - I wish someone could post a film of offline drone shooting that could improve aim.

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 05:27:10 PM »
Yep that's so true, his aim is uncanny, whereas I can't even hit the side of a barn EVEN THOUGH I'm in it !!   :o

Happy1  :D

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 06:46:37 PM »
i downloaded it but it was REEEEAAAALLLY slow any suggestions

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 07:08:36 PM »
Great film !!! It amazes me how some people can stay fast. I get in those fights, and the next thing I know I'm down to 100 knts!...and we won't even mention the aim !!!  Well ok, I'll mention it :D If my aim was half as good I'b be happy !!

Any tips on aim Levi? You mentioned in the film about your "leathality problem" being fixed. What did you do to help things out, or did ya just pull out of a slump?

keep them coming!

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 08:08:01 PM »
Nice film. 2 things i like about it. 1. it shows me how it looks to shoot me down. 2. Hub mentions my name 2 times... IM FAMOUS!!!!:lol

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 01:12:07 AM »
Maddog and others who asked about aiming, I can offer a few tips that might help.  First, turn off your tracers.  You'd be amazed at often you "walk" the tracers to target rather than aiming at the target.  Second, bring your gun convergence in.  I had all of my 20mm in the Tempest set to 225 yards.

When I was talking about lethality issues, I was referring specifically to the flight before the Tempest one.  I was in a Spit V, and I hit an enemy plane on at least four or five different passes.  I poured my last couple of dozen 20mm rounds into him without so much as smoking him.  Only a mission in a Tempest could cleanse the bad taste out of my mouth from that bad run of luck.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 03:37:39 AM »
Awsome flying, Awsome shooting. Just Awsome.

One Day when I grow up......

DMF
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 07:23:42 AM »
Thanks Levi. I was wondering what your convergence setting was, but a lot of people don't like to give that kind of info, and I don't like to pry.... but seeing as your a giving kind of guy  :)

what resolution do you fly in? I read that some people fly in 800x600 to see the planes better.

Were abouts do you have your sliders set for your joystick? In the film you seem to pull your lead fairly smoothly, is this due to how your stick is set, or are you that easy on your stick? It looks like you pull lead, fire, then drop your nose behind the target to see if you hit. Heck at speed I'm lucky if I have time to pull lead !  LOL!!

Thanks again for your help and info!

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 08:55:31 AM »
amazing and well . . . amazing. ty for the film and info.

hap

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 09:25:42 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Maddog and others who asked about aiming, I can offer a few tips that might help.  First, turn off your tracers.  You'd be amazed at often you "walk" the tracers to target rather than aiming at the target.  Second, bring your gun convergence in.  I had all of my 20mm in the Tempest set to 225 yards.
-- Todd/Leviathn

I learned that lesson myself. About a year ago I turned off tracers and reset convergence at 250 yards for every fighter in the plane set. Whenever I'm working the TA as a trainer, I practice shooting, not only aiming for an aircraft, but specific parts of the aircraft. Having just added CH Pro pedals, I'm still adjusting to these after years of using a rocker for rudder. Old habits are slow to change and I still find myself having to "think" about the pedals.

Anyway, that was a stellar example of precision shooting and superior E management. Nice stuff Todd.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.