Author Topic: A gun question for those that know better...  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
A gun question for those that know better...
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 05:29:55 PM »
For SOA and Laser, Yep I have had a primer back out on factory ammo, either that or it was just a high primer that I didn't catch when I loaded my speed loaders. My department had a bad batch of rounds come in for practice. Either the casings had slightly enlarged primer pockets or the primers were undersized. We had to send the lot back. Nasty to have the darn thing lock up on you.

I happen to like both style of handguns. I carried both for serious work and copmpeted with my duty rig. Why practice with one gun and shoot another to save your life as far as I'm concerned. I am definately in favor of a self shucker (auto) for serious use due to ammo capacity and ease of concealment. I am in favor of an amature using a revolver as there is less to remember on how to use it properly. With training and practice it's a moot point between the tupes of weapon.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline 6GunUSMC

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.fasteasynet.com
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 05:52:31 PM »
I've been carrying S&W revolvers for 20 years now, I opted for 6" barrel and use shoulder holsters.  I carry either my model 48 (.22Mag) Model 19 (.357Mag) or Model 29 (Heavy barrel mod 3)(.44Mag).  I have been happy with the S&W quality...  Not a bad choice particularly for a novice.  A word to the wise of course.... BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING - find a weapon that you feel comfortable carrying and firing.... Practice a lot before carrying or buying a weapon, in the hands of a completely inexperienced user a firearm could be more dangerous to the user than the intended target.

Offline spitfiremkv

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 07:19:59 PM »
get a Walter PPK.

Offline Ripper29

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 07:32:37 PM »
I used to own a S&W 686 L frame .357 mag, with a 4" barrel.  Sweet gun...handled well and was a pleasure to shoot.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 08:41:51 PM »
Mav, I'm not against auto loaders at all.  I happen to have a .40 Para-Ordnance I left with my brother when I moved.  Besides needing a little smooting to the feed ramp, its been a great gun.  I've also had a couple of .380s and 9mms.  I just prefer revolvers in all my shooting.  For home defense?  I know even if it's pitch black in the room I can pick up my .357 Rossi and count on firing it without any hesitation except acquiring a target.

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 09:41:08 PM »
If he is willing to go to .38 instead of .357 I would recommend the Smith & Wesson Model 10.

The gun is unbelievably reliable. At one time over 80 percent of the law enforcement agencies in the U.S. used the Model 10. It is still in production with over 6 million delivered.

There are many different grips available, so the gun will fit just about anyone’s hand.

The sights are fixed and easy to use. I have shot some of the most horrible (work provided) reloads in it without problems.
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 10:11:54 PM »
Not to dismiss S&W,

But Taurus and Ruger revolvers are very good and a bit less expensive.  Of course, if there is ever a 'trade in' notion the S&W would fair much better.  However, in actual firearm quality, from what I have seen the Taurus and Ruger revolvers are on par with the S&W.

Regards,

Malta

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 10:23:02 PM »
I own an S&W 66 in blue finish with the 4" barrel, a nice gun but definitely not a good CC option to my mind.

While I love wheel guns, I think pistols are just a better option for a concealed carry, more ammo, fewer protruding parts, more accuracy, and a lot less recoil.

Is there any reason it has to be a .357 as opposed to say a .40 or a 10mm? While most .357 loads will have a higher muzzle velocity, in longer barrels, that is cut down significantly once you are using the typical 2" barrel on a .357 designed for CC. In fact, with some loads, a .40 coming out of a "4 will have greater MV than a .357 out of "2 barrel.  The .40 and the 10mm are also both bigger bullets which equals more stopping power.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 10:47:03 PM »
My personal preference is the Colt .45 Combat Commander.

Very very reliable....good close range, powerful knockdown capability.  Just bought one for those reasons.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2005, 11:32:20 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Us telling you a specific gun he would like is like us telling you that he would like Heineken Beer because he's 5'11.

There is no way to tell other then getting out and testing these fire arms out.  Because when the **** really hits the fan, he wants the gun that was most comfortable for him, not one someone on an internet forum recomended.

I won't recomend anything past that EXCEPT to stay away from Glocks.  Or any gun where you can't see the hammer.  There are safeties on the gun, but the biggest one is the hammer not being drawn.  If it's not drawn, it's not going to drop.

Also, for utmost reliability, stick with revolvers.  The revolver has very few moving parts that can break.  A single jam won't gum up the whole works either.

Oh, and the first rule of a gunfight is to have the biggest gun.

Glocks aren't the problem, the owner's are.   I own a USP .45 and shoot my buddies Glock 23 all of the time.  Whilst, I prefer my own weapon, the Glock 23 is a thing of beauty to shoot.

I'm confused at your "There are safeties on the gun, but the biggest one is the hammer not being drawn.  If it's not drawn, it's not going to drop." statement.  There is no point to this at all.  Who gives a s**t about "seeing the hammer", Glocks are proven in the hands of safe and capable owners, bottom line.  

On the "failure to fire" subject you bring up, only one brand has EVER given me fits.  Beretta, I'll never own a POS like these.  They are garbage, by design.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 11:39:26 PM »
Originally posted by Dago
If he is convinced that he wants to use an outdated handgun with limited capacity, he might as well just get a 22.

Todays autos are so superior to revolvers it isnt funny.   The 357 isnt the greatest round either.

I personally would recommend something along the lines of a Sig P226 in .40 SW.

dago

They are nowhere near "superior".  This is so false it isn't funny.  You are comparing "Apples to Oranges".  It comes down to preference.  

Yer right.  The .38+P round is better than the .357 round.  From all of the "gelatin shot" forensic videos my eyes have seen, the .38+P is.   But, we could go around all day on that subject, there is no need too, either one in the "kill zone" is dropping a perpatrator.  

My shooting buddy had put around 12,000 rounds through his Pre-Ban P226, when the frame cracked.  He bought another and uses the old one for parts.   S**t happens regardless, of make, brand, model, etc.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 11:43:01 PM »
Originally posted by Dago
I personally would recommend something along the lines of a Sig P226 in .40 SW.

dago

This is a full size duty weapon sir, this is NOT a concealed carry style weapon.   Sure you can wear a jacket in the summer, you'll stick out like a sore thumb.   I enjoy picking people like this out whilst shopping with the wife, they cower when I ask them "Whatcha carrying?".  3/4 of the time they are too embarassed to answer.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 11:44:59 PM »
Originally posted by stantond
Not to dismiss S&W,

But Taurus and Ruger revolvers are very good and a bit less expensive.  Of course, if there is ever a 'trade in' notion the S&W would fair much better.  However, in actual firearm quality, from what I have seen the Taurus and Ruger revolvers are on par with the S&W.

Regards,

Malta

Sorry, but when the s**t hits the fan, S&W's reputation is miles above Taurus or Ruger's.   IMO, you get what you for.  Guns are the one thing a do not "Want bang for the buck" (no pun intended).  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: A gun question for those that know better...
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 11:56:03 PM »
Originally posted by texace
I'm directing this question at Lazs, but anyone is welcome to chime in if they want to.

My brother is considering purchasing a handgun. At current, he's got several ideas in mind but he's dead set on buying a revolver, more specifically a .357.

At my workplace, we've got numerous .357s for sale from many different manufacturers. He wants the weapon for self-defense, and will be getting a CCP with it. Though I do have a vast knowledge of weapons, I don't know a lot. I can only help him so much.

He's looking for a S&W .357 with a four inch barrel, as it's easier to handle and conceal. He's fired a weapon before, but never owned one. I will also be shooting with him once he gets it.

I'm basically asking for the advice of what would be best for him. Price isn't a huge deal, as my workplace has a pretty extensive layaway plan for firearms.

He's 5' 11" and well built, if it helps any.

I appreciate the assistance!

Keep in mind, a 4 inch barrel is practically impossible to conceal without sticking out in public.  

Personally for CCW style guns: (in no particular order)

340D
Kimber Ultra Carry
Glock 23 (.40 S&W)
Glock 36 (6+1 .45acp) thinnest of the Glocks, and very accurate
Sig P229
USP Compact (.40 or .45)

My opinion: I do not like Kahr Arms, Walther's or 9mm.  

Karaya

PS - He should shoot a few guns even if not those already in previous posts or this one. If he is GOING TO BUY a firearms, most ranges will waive "rental fee's". However, if this is a "let me ask the wife about this" type situation, they'll charge him.

Tex, I hope any of this helps in the most minute way. <>
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 12:00:34 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 06:21:13 AM »
I use a S&W .38 model 60 stainless 5 shot Chief's Special for CCW.  Very reliable, very concealable.  Not only is it a good belly gun, it is pretty accurate downrange for a short barrel gun with the trigger indexing.  Nice little gun.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 06:30:01 AM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century