Author Topic: Comparing Islam to Christianity  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Comparing Islam to Christianity
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2005, 07:48:29 PM »
Originally posted by Pooface
a guy who died 1350 years before, who hasnt even been proven to exist (this aint anti christianty or anything, its simply a fact).

Just curious...what is your criteria for "proof" that someone existed?

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2005, 07:59:50 PM »
Originally posted by AKH
You must kill those who worship another god.  Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own.  Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you.  Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own.  Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah.  Mark 6:11

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him.  Jude 5

Ever read the New Testament?  
Do you understand the diffenence between the Old and New Testaments?
Do you know what seperates them?

Hint: Christ.... as in Christain.

Everything you quoted was from the old Testament, except for the last two.  They were from the New Testament.  Notice that these two New Testament verses say nothing about anyone here on earth doing anything.  Instead, they refer to God doing these things.  There is no call for anyone to do anything in them.

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2005, 08:15:11 PM »
Well, my apologies.  I obviously didn't know that Christians only read, believe and follow the New Testament.

But that does make me wonder why they even bother to put the Old Testament in the bible.  Maybe you can enlighten me?
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2005, 08:34:06 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
Just curious...what is your criteria for "proof" that someone existed?

im not meaning it in that sense, i do believe in god and jesus and all that, but there is no real proof of god, just your own experiences. real proof would of course have to be physical evidence. can you honestly say that you can prove that jesus lived, no. you can only feel and believe, like many others, including myself do. if you believe you can prove that jesus is real i would be very interested:aok

its the fact that all religions are thoughts and thoery's, and not solid facts that leads to fanatasism. some people believe that god told them to plant a bomb, and that is why we have problems with these extremists. they believe in somewhat different ideas than many muslims. blaming muslims for a fanatics beliefs is like blaming christianty with events like that hostage thingy??

how would you feel, if the world felt that you were a suspect terrorist for being a christian? itd be bloody annoying. its the same with muslims. essentially we believe in the same god, just a different name, and different principles and beliefs (of course in religious terms thats a big difference). moral of the story, dont prejudge people.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2005, 08:49:16 PM »
Originally posted by AKH
Well, my apologies.  I obviously didn't know that Christians only read, believe and follow the New Testament.

But that does make me wonder why they even bother to put the Old Testament in the bible.  Maybe you can enlighten me?

First of all Christians read the entire Bible...Old and New Testament.
Second, who are you referring to when you say "they even bother to put the Old Testament in the Bible"?  You sound as if you think the Bible was put together at some publishing house.
The Bible is what it is...it is a history.  The Old Testament was before the time of Christ...the New was after.
Christ came and the all of the old rules were replaced with a new summary of the laws of the Old Testament:

"HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD; AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH. The second is this, YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. There is no other commandment greater than these."  - Mark 12:29-31

When you love God completely and care for others as you care for yourself, you have fullfilled God's intent of the Ten Commandments and the other laws in the Old Testament.  According to Jesus, these two commandments summarize all of God's laws.

So you see, this is the teaching of the Bible that Christians should live by.  There is no call for killing anyone or anything of that sort.

Back to your "why they even bother to put the Old Testament in the bible" statement.  Aside from what I said above pertaining to this let me ask you this:
Why is the history of slavery taught in America?  Because it happened?  Of course.  Because it was a bad thing and should not be repeated?  Of course.  Do you see where I am going with this?

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2005, 08:49:30 PM »
Originally posted by AKH
You must kill those who worship another god.  Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own.  Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you.  Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own.  Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah.  Mark 6:11

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him.  Jude 5

Your scripture is out of text.  I am curious where you got that?  What version?  

Deuteronomy 18:20 (King James Version)

20But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

As you can see, this is not a commandment, but a statement from God.  It implies that judgement is from God, not man.  Unlike the version you quote where it states it as an instruction.  Very misleading.  I advise to leave that alone.  

Exodus 22:20 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

20He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed

Deuteronomy 17:2-7 (King James Version)

2If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant,

3And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded;

4And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel:

5Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

6At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

7The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2005, 09:11:16 PM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
As you can see, this is not a commandment, but a statement from God.  It implies that judgement is from God, not man.  Unlike the version you quote where it states it as an instruction.  Very misleading.

Exactly.
This makes me wonder what the Koran actually says.  It may just be that "Kill the infidels" is, like AKH's post, a gross mis-interpretation of what what actually written.  Maybe the context was that Allah would do the deed in his time...not that everyone go out and do it for him.  
Makes you wonder.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 09:20:46 PM by Donzo »

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2005, 10:01:05 PM »
As you can see, this is not a commandment, but a statement from God. It implies that judgement is from God, not man. Unlike the version you quote where it states it as an instruction. Very misleading. I advise to leave that alone.

I never quoted the bible, or even claimed to have quoted it.  These however are:

"But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death." Deuteronomy 18:20

Sure looks like a command to me.

"Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed."  Exodus 22:20

Note the use of the word must, rather than will.  Another command.
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2005, 10:56:32 PM »
Originally posted by AKH
I never quoted the bible, or even claimed to have quoted it.  

What exactly was your post with references after each line.  You just make that up?

Why don't you read the Bible instead of just picking up things here and there?

Originally posted by AKH
These however are:

"But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death." Deuteronomy 18:20

Sure looks like a command to me.

"Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed." Exodus 22:20

Note the use of the word must, rather than will. Another command.

Go back and read my post about the difference between the Old and New Testament.

Look at it this way.  The Old Testament was the evolution of God's Laws.  Christ came and explained the Laws.

Anyone can take parts of a document and make it say whatever they want it to.  This is wrong and unless you read the Bible as a whole, you miss the whole point.  

You would have it that the Bible talks only of going out and killing in the name of God.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2005, 11:33:43 PM »
The word of God evolves?

My, what an interesting concept.

Brought to you by the folks that demand a strict interpetation of the Constitution.

;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2005, 12:44:49 AM »
What exactly was your post with references after each line. You just make that up?

No, someone else did, I just copied them.

Why don't you read the Bible instead of just picking up things here and there?

How do you know that I haven't read the bible?

Go back and read my post about the difference between the Old and New Testament.

I did, but would like some clarification.  Are you saying that the Old Testament is included more for historical reasons than religious doctrine?

Look at it this way. The Old Testament was the evolution of God's Laws. Christ came and explained the Laws.

Or are you saying that the Old Testament is the word of God, but is superceded by the Christian Gospel?

You would have it that the Bible talks only of going out and killing in the name of God.

Would I?    What are you going to do next, deduce my religion?  Why don't you just stick me in the Jihad pigeonhole.  Oh, you already did that, didn't you?

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Matthew 7:1-5, NIV
AKHoopy Arabian Knights

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2005, 12:50:30 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
The word of God evolves?

My, what an interesting concept.

Brought to you by the folks that demand a strict interpetation of the Constitution.

;)

First, how do I get grouped into "the folks that demand a strict interpetation of the Constitution" by what I said?  Assumption on your part?  :confused: I don't follow.

On the topic of a strict interpretation of the Constitution:
It can change or "evolve".  But here's the thing: the founding fathers made it so that it could change...there is a way to change it.  It called an amendment.  Amendments that are voted on by the people.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2005, 01:06:56 AM »
Where in the old testement do we look for the amendments on the word of God? Did God indicate that his word was law, expect where it conflicts with the wishes of his son? Do we get to vote on the word of God? On the word of the holy ghost? The Pope?

Should we circulate petitions for amendment to the Koran or the Bible?

Or both?

I mean the whole concept of the 'word of god evolves' I find really interesting! Shazaam! Do we need a Supreme Court of Popes? A Theological Council of Religious Elders Representing All the Faiths of Man?

Hey.. that could work!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2005, 01:09:08 AM »
Hangtime, I think that the whole point of the new testament is that it is an amendment to the old.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2005, 01:12:11 AM »
Hang, alot of it all makes absolutely zero sense.  That's why it takes faith.  You're never gonna get a reasonable explanation that answers all of your questions about religion.  It just ain't there.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!