Author Topic: Operation Flashpoint  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Operation Flashpoint
« on: March 20, 2001, 04:22:00 PM »
Don't know if any of you have been following the development of this, but the demo was released today. For those who have never heard of it, its based on a crisis in the Soviet Union during the Cold War. You can pilot aircraft, drive vehicles or fight as infantry.
 http://www.gonegold.com/

TheWobble

Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »
havin a real fit trying to find a server, it wont let me use DAP so i can forget the 120KB a sec Dl im used to, gotta use IE's Dl

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2001, 05:15:00 PM »
Demo's not bad - worth the download IMO but doesn't give you any more than a standard M-16 rifle (unless you pilfer some gear   ) The infantry part is very nice indeed from my perspective - actual bullet drop, difficult to snipe without sniper rifles, use of cover essential and some very immersive cutscenes and set-pieces. The end of the demo mission is very impressive.

That said, the helo modelling would appear to be about as authentic as that of the aircraft in Starsiege: Tribes, judging by the extraction and hasty climb of the Blackhawk   (You don't get to fly it in the demo.) I really do like this game though, judging by the demo, by far the best outdoor soldier-sim I've come across..

TheWobble

Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2001, 07:22:00 PM »
I LOVE IT, this may be the game to FINALLY replace Rogue Spear as my Favorite FPS, it takes LOTS of stratigy to win and work as a team.

TIP: kill the guy with the LAW, and play with it VERY FUN.

TIP: You can pick up any weapon from any dead bodies, aswell as extral clips and grenades.

TIP:  Buy this game.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2001, 08:22:00 PM »
ftp://ftp.edome.net/demot/actionpelit/opflashdemo_www_edome_net.zip

yes, its nice game  

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2001, 09:26:00 PM »
how do i switch my damn m16 off of semi-auto fire?

I find the graphics hard to make out...

and what is the key for looiting ammo, etc. from a body?

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2001, 09:50:00 PM »
and if you die the load doesn't work properly, so you have to go through all those frickin' cutscenes again... argh!

Have you discovered the 'optics' view?  It is pretty cool... bring that M16 up and actually aim it ala Infiltration... though not THAT cool.

TheWobble

Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2001, 10:26:00 PM »
It has the potental to be a VERY cool game, its very realistic, the graphics are good ESPECALLY the use of cover.  it would be a riot on a 4vs4 lan game try to take a village to something like that.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2001, 12:39:00 AM »
Just got around to installing it and checking out. Wow, it definitely has potential. I thought the terrain was about the best I've seen as far as cover and concealment goes for infantry. This is certainly a game I'll be checking out when its released.

The ability to pick up weapons from casualties is great. The graphics were pretty decent. Don't know what it would run like on an older machine...and dont really care  

Looking forward to trying the other vehicles and infantry weapons!

------------------
Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2001, 04:29:00 AM »
Blimey, didn't take long for someone to figure it out;
 http://bigdukesix.launchpoint.net/ofphack

(Allows you to select from the weapons and vehicles available in the demo, and move around the entire island)

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2001, 05:28:00 AM »
Wow, I'm impressed! The UH-60 is hardly a simulation, but it's MUCH more realistic than I was expecting. Throttle and rudder control is there, and hugging the ground without crashing is quite a challenge. The speed / altitude tradeoff is there too, overall I'd say it's about as realistic as Team Apache was. None too bad  

funked

Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
Does it really require DX8?

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
I think it does, funked - but in good news, 8.0a is out, and I haven't heard bad things about it like I did about 8.0...

...and it will say that it is installing 8.0, btw, but if you go to download center and search for it at microsoft.com, you will have the right one.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
 WOW!  I just saw the screen shots. Man, oh man. they are damned nice. It really puts WW2O into yesterdays category of games/sims graphically. And feature wise too. Taking weapons and ammo off dead bodies     Of course they've been working on it for 3 years at least.

Does it look like what they show in thier screen shots when playing the demo?

-Westy

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Operation Flashpoint
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2001, 04:01:00 PM »
Looks just like screenshots. The graphics are pretty good, bit better than WW2OL I think. And the terrains are definitely a cut above. Can't wait to get home and unlock the rest of the vehicles to play around in. Btw...if you run over your squadmates in the Jeep, they don't get back up lol.

------------------
Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps