Author Topic: Picture this....  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Picture this....
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
hblair,

What people are asking for is extra restrictions of US citizens of Arabian decent or Muslim faith.  On people who haven't committed a crime.

It seems to me that the people investigating the events of 9-11-2001 are doing a good job, but I highly doubt that their investigation will lead to the American of Arabic decent that I bought a soda from yesterday.  Racial profiling would mean that he would be more likely to be arrested or prevented from flying even though he hasn't theoretically planned or commited any crimes.

What happened to you would have been racial profiling if after catching the guy they kept on stopping white people because "They must be up to something."

What they did was not racial profiling because they had a description of the suspect as being a white male. Thus they were stopping white males but not black males, black females or white females.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Picture this....
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2001, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks Karnak, that's what I ment.

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Thrawn ]

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Picture this....
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2001, 10:10:00 AM »
Karnak, we're pretty naive if we don't think that there are still terrorists (who happen to be Muslim) that are "up to something".

Survival tends to take precedent over sensibility.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Picture this....
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
"Am I a victim?"

Sure you were if you wanted to be.  Should have contacted the ACLU!!!

You chose not to be.  You applied common scense :)   Some don't, they are always looking to be victims.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Picture this....
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
Must be a US thing Naso.  Though... I'd be suprised that someone from Italy would have to ask "Is that a Ferrari"  ;)

AKDejaVu

In fact, I was guessing what a US will think of a red car  ;)

BTW, you did'nt say what they were asking...

c'mon tell me, i'm courious, please.

Please.  :)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Picture this....
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2001, 01:25:00 PM »
The first words out of everyone's mouth when you show them a new red car (in the US  ;) ):

"Man... the cop's are going to love giving you tickets."  The basic assumption is that a red car is going to be a sports car color and be a faster car (thanks to Ferrari)... thus we'll focus on red cars to give tickets to.  

I don't know if numbers actually support that or not... I tend to think they do...  But I do know many people that won't own a red car because of this concern.

Ferraris are red.  Ferraris are fast.  Red cars must be faster than all other cars.  Give red cars tickets.

AKDejaVu

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Picture this....
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
I was stationed at Ft. Bragg N.C. in 1969.  I had 5 or 6 running buddies down there. One of them was a short, black guy from Harlem.  He had a strange sense of humor that I just loved.  We were in Fayetteville one time (A place that still had an old slave auction like it was a monument, or something)  Anyway, I said. hey man! where do the black guys hang out around here.  He said. Do you see that oak tree over there?

Back to my point.  He once got busted down to buck sergeant for something he richly deserved  :).  It pissed him off so he told me he was going to get everybodys weekend pass pulled.  I ask how he could do that without getting his own pulled.  He just smiled, and wouldn't say.

That Friday all hell broke loose. They had us standing in formation dam near all day.  It seems that someone had burned a cross on the lawn in front of the barracks. And they were going to keep us there until someone fessed up.  We were all white soldiers needless to say.

My pal made a point of walking passed the formation on his way to the parking lot (heading for N.Y. for the weekend).  The little bastard even smiled and waved at me.

He was my friend, so of course I couldn't say anything.  But when he got back, there was a suprise waiting for him in his bunk. He was deathly afraid of snakes :D.

To answer your question H B.  I would say question them both :)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Picture this....
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »
LOL,
Great story easymo!

eskimo

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Picture this....
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2001, 10:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak:
hblair,

What people are asking for is extra restrictions of US citizens of Arabian decent or Muslim faith.  On people who haven't committed a crime.

It seems to me that the people investigating the events of 9-11-2001 are doing a good job, but I highly doubt that their investigation will lead to the American of Arabic decent that I bought a soda from yesterday.  Racial profiling would mean that he would be more likely to be arrested or prevented from flying even though he hasn't theoretically planned or commited any crimes.

What happened to you would have been racial profiling if after catching the guy they kept on stopping white people because "They must be up to something."

What they did was not racial profiling because they had a description of the suspect as being a white male. Thus they were stopping white males but not black males, black females or white females.

I'm referring to the way the way the investigation of a crime already committed is carried out. Just saw another suspects photo on CNN 5 minutes ago. He was middle eastern. Aint that the darndest thing. I just can't believe they are all middle eastern. Perhaps the FBI needs to look at white people, after all, they bombed the Alfred P. Murrah building.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Picture this....
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2001, 03:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
The first words out of everyone's mouth when you show them a new red car (in the US   ;) ):

"Man... the cop's are going to love giving you tickets...

I don't know if numbers actually support that or not.

It is a common knowlege that people who tend to drive agressively/recklessly disproportionately prefer red to any other color. That is why insurance company would usually charge you higher premiums on the red car.
 The cops know the statistics too.
 Also, red cars get stolen more, so more cops' attention again.

miko

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Picture this....
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2001, 04:01:00 PM »
What if there was a race of people who had never hijacked a plane, blew up a building or created any of the threats that we are looking for.  Should we just let those folks walk past instection points?  Would you be OK with them getting on your flight?
It's kind of the same thing.  
Everyone is a potential threat.

eskimo

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Picture this....
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by hblair:
I'm referring to the way the way the investigation of a crime already committed is carried out.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Picture this....
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2001, 04:06:00 PM »
It is a common knowlege that people who tend to drive agressively/recklessly disproportionately prefer red to any other color.

LOL!

I rest my case.

...of course... it could have been the only "Nearly New" car at the dealer and was selling for $3k less than the new cars even though it only had 400 miles on it ;)

But, I guess in this case, its ok to stereotype based on past history without regard to the present situation.  See the double standard?

AKDejaVu