Author Topic: Mom Describes Killing Five Kids  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Corwin

• Copper Member
Mom Describes Killing Five Kids
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2001, 11:50:00 AM »
My mom is the kindest sweetest person you ever met.  She is deeply religous, gentle and does not curse.  She is also bi-polar (manic depressive).  Her father and two brothers are as well.  

Over the years I have seen her battle with her illness and go through many hospitalizations.  I have seen her in conditions where she didn't know who I was.  At age 78 I have saw her attack a 250lb psyche orderly for no reason.  3 of my sisters also suffer from this disease and I have seen them make decisions and endure suffering as a result thereof that no rational person would accept.    

It took me a while but I finally reached two conclusions:

They are not to blame for their illness

They would not make the choices they make but for their illness.

I have a good friend who was medical director for a major psyche facility.  One day over lunch I fessed up about my family history and sought his help when my mom was in the grips of a really bad bout of depression.  He looked around the restaurant and asked me how many people I thought were there.  I estimated 30.  He said, statistically 8 of these people suffer from some form of mental illness.  He then added if we had 100 people in here, statistically there would be 1 true psychotic.  Needless to say. I was shocked.  His insight was that as a society we haven't come very far with the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.  Most health plans limit benefits and there is not a compartively large body of research being done over this pervasive illness.   Further, these people are still socially demonized for their illness.  We don't blame people for having cancer or epilepsy but we still attach some stigma of blame to mental illnesses.

The brain is an incredibly complex organ and medical reserach has a long way to go to help these people.  Thankfully, my mom doesn't often remember what happend or what she has done.

All this to say it is a truly sad situation. Given my experience I don't know easy it is to come to a conclusion beyond that.

:(

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »
Ive come to the conclusion that self awareness is a terrible burden.

Most of us deal with it (self awareness) reasonably well but there are a very few that, for a multitude of reasons, cannot grapple with reality and slip away into a vast abyss becoming totally disconnected with reality.  A woman who intentionally drowns her five children has definately fallen into the abyss.

Should she be executed?  If it were up to me, no.  But I feel that a quiet and serene exit for this poor soul might be merciful to her.

Does the father have responsibility in this tragedy? yes. should he somehow be held responsible?  No. In my estimation he had absolute love for his children and a deep caring love for his wife.  His world is forever deeply scarred, that is his fate in this matter.

We all do as much as possible to make our lives enjoyable, pleasurable and fulfilling because the nature of life is such that anything less is lost opportunity in the deepest sense imaginable.

None of us knows what lies in fate for us.
Have mercy for those who are stricken in life by tragedy.  FOr those who intentionally cast
tragedy on others, have mercy as well but be prepared to defend our natural right one and all to pursue each our own happiness.

It is the highest accomplishment to finish life with a smile on our face with loved ones nearby.

rambling....

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager:
It is the highest accomplishment to finish life with a smile on our face with loved ones nearby.Y

This, gentlemen, is what could serve as the example of a concise, well-stated example of a true "no-sh*tter".

If I accomplish that, I'll certainly go with a grin.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!