Author Topic: China and Cuba  (Read 2893 times)

Moose11

China and Cuba
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
Cripes.. looks like its recess-time kiddies.

Sturm

China and Cuba
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
Yes I would bet my life on it, taking a pot shot no, was funked you tell me.
Just when I thought nobody could up the tard ante any further... funked

Was he towards me?  That is to be determined when he responds.  If not then cross his name off and it is for everyone.  I did my time in the service, and would fight for my country/family no matter what.  I almost lost a brother back in the 1985 at Fort Campbell Ky in a training exercise for the 101st.  So I know what it is like to feel the pain, he did survive and the doctors had told us he wouldn't live.  I came from a military family, father being a pilot in the USAF, brother in the army, and the other in the navy.  Moose stating I would wear out my welcome for pointing out my personal views is rather ridiculous.  Did I take a pot shot at funked lol, if I did then hurt feelings must be easy in here.  One line and then I went on and explained it in better details.

'Wars are good?' Defintely showing your lack of understanding/maturity/respect.

Sorry been studying military history for 19 years now, and I have a lot more respect for the veterans then most people do.  Maturity?  Funny do you watch war movies?  Do you not fly a flight sim, which models aircraft where death was taking place everyday in them?  

Would you bet your life on that statement?
Yes I would and was one of the first to volunteer to go.

(because I bet that when / if there is another serious war, and you're on the front lines seeing people die horribly, you'll look back and adjust *your* perspective)

Just curious do you know me?  No, this is an assumption, seen to many movies of the guy squirming in the hole from shell shock.  Have you ever seen someone get shot before?  South Korea DMZ, North Korean pulled out handgun proceeded to blow his head off.  

How many veterans will you find that think a war is a good thing?

Quite a few, depending on the cause, and the love of their country.  This one is debateable, but you will fight for your country, your unit, your squad, your family and friends.  Would you die for your family?  Would you sacrifice your life for the ones that brought you into this world?
Moose sticking your nose in someone else's business without knowing all the facts makes you look bad.  I can go round and round, but I won't I offered my point of view if you don't like it that is fine, if you do well that is fine as well.  I just think your upset about the Taiwan war comment    Have fun

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron

Moose11

China and Cuba
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Tac,

I agree that Chinese girls are nice.

<--girlfriend is 50% Chinese

However, the possibility of an armed conflict with China over Taiwan is very real.

I won't say any more without citing sources to back me up, but my general understanding is that we are in an agreement with them to send assistance. (they are a trade partner, and they export goods more cheaply then China does... )

Anyone have more background on this then what we all believe because of said media?

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
China and Cuba
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »

GO diddly YOURSELF IN THE amazinhunk WITH A BIG RUBBER DICK.[/B]

lol....my point exactly. what would the fast food industry be without gems like you. short on workers i imagine -

funked

China and Cuba
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
Wobble did you skip your meds again?  Naughty naughty.

Moose I don't think Sturm took any unfair shots at me, certainly nothing personal.  I did call him a tard anyways.  

Sturm I'm sure there are some good results from wars for some people, but what if you are the guy lying on the battlefield with your balls blown off, or holding your guts in with your hands, bleeding to death in agony for several hours?  Or the young woman being gang raped until death by invading troops?  Or a POW forced to march out of the Kessel at Stalingrad, watching your comrades drop like flies from starvation, cold, and fatigue, then ending up in a labor camp in Siberia, having to eat human flesh to survive?  War was not "good" for people like that, something on the order of 100 million of them this century. People like that aren't around to say "war is bad", so we get crazy ideas like "war is good".  The only way these people can speak is through people who write down what happened to them.  I suggest you seek out some of these writings to see how "good" war is.  Or if you have already read these kind of things and missed the point, re-read them using a little imagination to think of what it must have been like.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
China and Cuba
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2001, 03:26:00 PM »
LOL Santa ! Seewhat you just opened ??? !
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Sandman_SBM

China and Cuba
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »
Right.. Taiwan... How is this a United States interest?

Imagine, that Hawaii decided to become it's own country and secede from the union with the promise of assistance from China.

Wouldn't the U.S. reaction be exactly the same as China's with regard to Taiwan?

------------------
cheers,
sand
screamin blue messiahs
The SBM's are hiring!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
China and Cuba
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2001, 05:13:00 PM »
The possibility yes Moose, but I truly doubt it will come to that. China is bound to become the next superpower in this century. In the long run, China is more vital as a trading partner and potential ally than Taiwan. Taiwan is not a recognized nation nor is under the U.N. Even at this moment the Chinese military has the potential to overwhelm any UN forces by sheer numbers... not to mention that they also have huge potential in industry and technology. Only an idiot would fight against such force (without using nukes, but that would mean armaggedon).

Hey, send her sister over!  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
China and Cuba
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2001, 05:22:00 PM »
heh, getting side stepped here.

So far, I can understand that China views the US as a threat and is a more formidable foe than Cuba. Also has better chances of outlasting Cuba.

So why the tought policy on Cuba but the soft one on China (comparatively)?

Seems to me like treating an ant like a lion, while sticking one's head into the mouth of a lion.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"You filthy piece of distended rectum! DIE allierte schweinhund!"

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
China and Cuba
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
Anyone who thinks China could overwhelm the UN with sheer numbers needs to do a little research. I will leave it at that.

As far as Cuba goes Santa, I'm not really sure why we are so comparatively tough with them. I imagine that as soon as old Fidel kicks the bucket Cuba will be a different place. At least we can hope as much.

Wobble...sometimes its better to remain quiet and have everyone think you're an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

[This message has been edited by Raubvogel (edited 03-23-2001).]

Sturm

China and Cuba
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2001, 05:42:00 PM »
Funked
     Well at least we are in agreement about one thing.  For one thing what war does to a man/woman things normally you would not expect.  What I am trying to get at also, we cannot rid ourselves of the past.  Why is it men lash out with these hideous acts of crimes?  It is quite a compelling look into the psychological affects that war does on a human.  Maybe I might need to rephrase it, how was the publics view on the gulf war?  Loved it, and why might you ask?  because the media covered the whole thing, we got to see it all from Wolf Snitzer.  Did we eat it up?  You bet everywhere you went TV's were on watching the whole thing.  When americans died oh it was a terrible thing, but over 100,000 iraqi's died to our what 500 and change.  As a society we look at numbers, and we put them into perspective, with low numbers it is good, but high numbers well the public gets a little worried.  Vietnam, Afghanistan, Chechnya case examples.  Like it or not the people feed off violence in some form.  That doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, case studies have proven it.        

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
China and Cuba
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2001, 02:49:00 AM »
Raub, compared to how you treat China 8which IS more of a threat and even has a worse government than Cuba, with even more people being denied basic human rights or een tortured and killed, lots more political prisoners etc), I think small little Cuba is getting treated worse, with embargos and whatnot.

And CIA assassination attempts of Castro in the early days  .
Methinks it has something to do with this little irritating nation and its totalitarian ruler having been able to withstand the big bear US attempts of "correction" as well. I.e history plays a role as well.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"You filthy piece of distended rectum! DIE allierte schweinhund!"

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
China and Cuba
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2001, 03:58:00 AM »
I think its more of a PR matter Santa.
You have Fidel close to the south, an old enemy who tried to screw the US back in the Cold War (the Cuban Missile Crisis).

Fidel = USA's Favorite Bad Guy, every country needs a few bad guys to look good.

Personally I believe the blockade on Cuba is roadkill now that the Cold War is over, the US people think they are doing good to the people of Cuba, but the fact is, its the contrary. Now dont get me wrong, Fidel is an amazinhunk alright, but with the blockade the US are screwing more the people of cuba than they are screwing Fidel himself.

About China, well, its more complicated, they are much worse than cuba, but they really help the US economy in some ways, and in the real world, when you look hard, it all comes down to the $. Its all about it.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
China and Cuba
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
"About China, well, its more complicated, they are much worse than cuba, but they really help the US economy in some ways, and in the real world, when you look hard, it all comes down to the $. Its all about it."

Exactly animal.

Now, following the same train of thought, why do you think the blockade of cuba continues? If you really think about it you may notice an interesting trend. While Castro is in power, the US can point the blame finger and gain PR out of it. Besides, backing out after so many years of commitment would be very embarrasing for the US, not to mention that fidel would happily proclaim that the small, capitalist-oppressed island withstood the pressure and emerged victorious. Oh I can see that being rubbed into the US by castro at every UN meeting!.

While the blockade continues, the island strays behind in development, the people suffer, starve, etc. The island's infrastructure is so undeveloped it has barely changed since castro took over.

Now, imagine Castro died tomorrow. Do you think the blockade will be lifted in the island gets freed from the dictator? YOU BET. But, since the island is in such a sorry state, it will need a hell of a lot of investment to develop the island. *sniff* *sniff* do I smell massive potential for the US industry? Dependency on US aid and industry while the cuban population becomes addicted to the wonders they are witnessing?
In all sense, I really see Cuba becoming a US protectorate a few decades after Fidel falls from power.

Its all a game of poker that's being well played.

Offline Servo

• Zinc Member
China and Cuba
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
One thing I'm afraid of is a war with China. Back in the early eighties (when I was a mere youngin) it was nearly assumed the next big war would be with Russia and it would surely involve nuclear weapons. When all that changed, the world seemed to change as well.

Now we have this illusion of stability, with one dreadful drawback - China. Our relations with China are bad, not as bad as Russia in the cold war, but -really- bad. All we need is another military screw up (like the bombing of the Chinese embassy) to set it off.

China is a more powerful nation than Russia was, and just as nuclear ready. If we ever had a war with China, and pressed them into a corner - that would be it.

I guess if they pressed us into a corner, that would be it also...

Hopefully that possibility will keep us at peace like it has for so long.

Servo