Author Topic: Neo-Darwinian Fundamentalism at the Smithsonian  (Read 5897 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Neo-Darwinian Fundamentalism at the Smithsonian
« Reply #345 on: September 01, 2005, 06:35:44 AM »
Falcon,

You're having the look of someone who knows what they think and is desperately thrashing around for confirmation. Your understanding of the middle ages seems entirely unidimensional, and honestly it looks like you're not even reading what you're posting.

Look at this:

The Spanish Inquisition was particularly brutal in its methods, which included the burning at the stake of many heretics. However, it was initiated and substantially controlled by King Ferdinand of Spain rather than the Church; King Ferdinand used political leverage to obtain the Church's tacit approval.

In modern culture, politicians cloak themselves in the flag to strngthen their position and power. In medieval times, it was the church.

What's more, you must remember that power hungry people migrate to power centers, and that meant the catholic church back then. Which means that a substantial number of priests and even popes called tehmselves christians but paid no attention to the teachings they supposedly believed.

Phillip of Spain was like Osama Bin Laden in his fervor and politics. (Not my compraison -- read it first in article in ?Military History?) To make it worse, he ran the greatest and richest power on earth, equivalent to USA now -- but without the EU and China to balance. The Inquisition (and his religious wars in the netherlands) were the expected result.

BTW, you mentioned Thomas Kuhn's Structure of Scientific Revolutions -- and correctly remembered that he coined the phrase paradigm shift. The book  may be particularly applicable to the thread overall -- one of his observations was that when new theories are proposed, which could replace common scientific wisdom,  they generally are not accepted by those with vested interest in the old ways. Once the old scientists die off, teh young guns hold the field with the new ideas....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 06:40:54 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline FalconSix

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #346 on: September 02, 2005, 01:38:14 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
In modern culture, politicians cloak themselves in the flag to strngthen their position and power. In medieval times, it was the church.

What's more, you must remember that power hungry people migrate to power centers, and that meant the catholic church back then. Which means that a substantial number of priests and even popes called tehmselves christians but paid no attention to the teachings they supposedly believed.

You only confirm my point. No matter who was responsible be it a king or a priest, Christianity was still the tool of oppression. Religion has always been a tool to control simpleminded people, and still is. Religion is the curse of humanity, the tool of the smart to control and exploit the stupid.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #347 on: September 02, 2005, 03:47:48 AM »
That's human nature, not religion.
Like saying guns kill people or inanimate objects are stupid.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #348 on: September 02, 2005, 06:19:25 AM »
Originally posted by FalconSix
You only confirm my point. No matter who was responsible be it a king or a priest, Christianity was still the tool of oppression. Religion has always been a tool to control simpleminded people, and still is. Religion is the curse of humanity, the tool of the smart to control and exploit the stupid.

C-

Falcon, you're in over your head -- and its not just me saying it. Look at Moot's point -- you're getting a little silly.

Debate requires establishing a foundation, building evidence step by step by presenting pertinent info and analysis, and drawing conclusions justified by the data presented.

You have not done this in a single one of your posts. You have not debated, you have vented bigotry.

Your conclusion above is absolutely not supported by the preceding staements; you layed no logical ground. Your preceding post -- about (in the most general sense) Bruno -- claimed that complex events in the history of science were caused by the execution of a heretic, but you provided absolutely no evidence to support your conclusion. The post before THAT was a cut-and-paste history of medieval history that actually contradicted what you apparently thought your point was.

I'm not trying to slam you, bud -- but if you want to participate in a discussion you're gunna have to raise the bar above the hate speech you've relied on so far.

If you cant get to that level -- well, I'm not going to waste my time tryign to reason with bigotry.

Offline FalconSix

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #349 on: September 02, 2005, 07:33:24 AM »
Originally posted by moot
That's human nature, not religion.
Like saying guns kill people or inanimate objects are stupid.

Religion is human made, and therefore reflect human nature.

Originally posted by Simaril
Blablablapersonalattackblabla bla

Whatever.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #350 on: September 02, 2005, 07:51:59 AM »
It’s interesting that Falcon should bring up religion in this discussion, which is after all about the suppression of ideas that are considered heretical by the established dogma of an elitist group who find themselves more and more on the defensive against those ideas.  I’ve watched numerous debates on various television news programs (NPR, Fox, CNN, MSNBC).  In every one, they pit an evolutionist against an ID proponent.  And in every one of those debates (I use the term loosely here), one of the parties is calm and reasoned, presenting their position passionately, but lucidly; they make appeals to scientific reason and logic, admitting what they know and what they don’t.  The other side spends most of their air-time making ad hominid attacks, alternating between belittling and condescending remarks about their opponent; their energy generally goes beyond simple passion, into the realm of fanaticism, bringing up God and religion, and in general attacking both the credentials and the motives behind their opponent’s position.  Now, from these two descriptions can you guess which is which?

Sternberg is not the only scientist to suffer the Darwinian Inquisition.  Dr. Guillermo Gonzalez, co-author of The Privileged Planet has suffered similar attacks, as have numerous others (see http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050831/LIFE/%20508310325/1001/LIFE ).  Dr. Gonzales wrote this book outside of his teaching duties, and has nowhere in his classroom instructions brought in ID.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #351 on: September 02, 2005, 09:16:51 AM »
Originally posted by FalconSix

Whatever.

heehee
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 10:42:34 AM by Simaril »