Author Topic: I like 45 ACP!  (Read 974 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2005, 05:42:15 PM »
I agree, shoot what you like, I shoot everything, as I work on a range that runs over 200 rental firearms, and I guarantee I have more rounds downrange than most folks, haveing done nothing but shoot everyday for the last few years.  I've seen a lot of different guns go down in that time.

I'll never bash Glocks, I carry a 26 as a backup in the USA when I'm there, HOWEVER, to say that the only problems Glocks have occur when they are "gunsmithed" is simply ridiculous.

I've PERSONALLY seen over 2 dozen, probably over 25 G17's and G22's alone go K-boom, primarily rail guide seperations in the plastic frame, and that's just in 2 years of being on the ranges.  The last Sig defensive course I was on all 3 Glocks on it went down.  YES I've seen Sig's go down as well, but far, FAR more infrequently, and I've never had to send one back to the factory, where as I've been waiting over a year to get a dozen G17's fixed from the factory (I'm in Canada, it's a major pain sending stuff back to the US once it has come in, I realize it wouldn't be a problem in the US for you guys there).  

Incidentaly, JTF2, our Special Forces unit in country here, uses 226's and 225's, and their armourer told me they've NEVER had a slide fracture failure, and they shoot WAY more than any Police Department per operator.  Try and find me a PD armourer that will say the same about glocks.  Calgary PD here has G22's going down a lot more often than they'd like.

I shot the Air Marshall qualification and while back, and passed it the first time too....with a G19 with the 3.5" trigger in it, and that was probably the best I've ever shot, with 2 thrown rounds killing my chance for a "possible".  Go figure.  My partner in crime with my training company here works as a private contractor right now with Triple Canopy in Baghdad, and they are all carrying G19's, and most of them are x-Delta/Seal/Marines, and could shoot whatever they want with the $$ they are getting.

Anyhow, it's the OPERATOR not the weapon IMHO, I've trained a TON with the best IDPA shooter in the world, Ernest Langdon, and he shoots everything, but mainly Sig220's and Beretta's, and I'll put him up against anyone in the world.  It all comes down to getting whatever weapon you choose out of the holster quickly, getting it presented to the target, then making bullets fly and bad guys die.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 05:52:43 PM by Gman »

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2005, 06:33:56 PM »
Think about the Taurus 24/7 in .45.

Alot less expensive than Hk and Sig and hi capacity mag's to boot. Mine shoots alot better once someone re-taught me how to shoot :D

Also, as to 1911, my Dads old Llamma still shoots like a dream 25+ years after its manufacture. Can't go wrong there. Kimber Raptor II is what I'm saving up for next.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2005, 07:02:07 PM »
I carried a Colt Officers Model (45ACP) for a few years.  Not a bad pistol, but it only liked 230 grain FMJ.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2005, 07:10:10 PM »
Of all the current makers of 1911 pistols I think colt is the worst, you pay for the name and get way less for the money then say with a kimber.

Plus they used to use non standard trigger and hammer pins in their Ar-15s.

Didnt colt stop selling some guns to the public as well? (caving to the anti gun crowd?)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2005, 08:49:46 PM »
GTO,

When do you think you mght go to Thunder Ranch? Ive read a lot about it, especially during ther Cooper time but haven't gone there. I hadn't heard it had shut down.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2005, 10:06:02 PM »
I would love to go to thunder ranch, but have never firmed anything up.

Front Site is closer, I am not sure what one is better, but none of my friends will go with me.

Oddly I am the only Car/gun guy of my group of friends.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 10:54:29 PM »
Originally posted by Terror
They only problems that I have ever seen a Glock have are either from using home reloaded ammo or a "tuned" Glock (Where a "gunsmith" tried to customize the trigger).  Glock has proven itself all over the globe as top of the line of reliable semi-auto handguns.

I don't hate SIG, some great law enforcement officers are forced to use them.  They are adequate.  They just make an already difficult task, more difficult.

Terror

Let me know next year when you and I can arrange a day of range time.  I'll show up with my USP 45.   We'll even meet in say.......Indianapolis area.  I'm 5 hours from there.  Sort of in the middle.   Let me know if you wanna take me up on this.  I'll fill up the tank of my Gas-Guzzling Explorer.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 11:00:15 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
I would love to go to thunder ranch, but have never firmed anything up.

Front Site is closer, I am not sure what one is better, but none of my friends will go with me.

Oddly I am the only Car/gun guy of my group of friends.

In a couple of years I'd be willing to set something up for either.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 11:18:23 PM »
Cool I will let ya know, front site is here in Cali.

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005, 11:35:17 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Let me know next year when you and I can arrange a day of range time.  I'll show up with my USP 45.   We'll even meet in say.......Indianapolis area.  I'm 5 hours from there.  Sort of in the middle.   Let me know if you wanna take me up on this.  I'll fill up the tank of my Gas-Guzzling Explorer.

Karaya

Good to go!  Sometime this winter should be good.  From November 15 to January 15, my company freezes all changes to the computer environment, so it's a good time for me to take a few days off.  If you have some time then, I say lets do it!

And according to packing.org Indiana honors my Missouri CCW.  Just got to be real careful crossing Illinois.  Keep the carry gun unloaded and locked up while in Illinois!

I also notice you are looking into getting some training...  I've been taking training through this outfit:  The Defensive Shooting Academy.  A good group of guys...

Got a busy weekend coming up.  IDPA on Saturday and GSSF on Sunday.  Gonna be FUN!

Terror

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2005, 11:43:59 PM »
Oh BS, the barrel line is not that much higher then a 1911, and I do not notice much more then on a 1911 recoil wise.

Glocks feel like cheap plastic crap and have a ****ty trigger.

But if you like them thats fine.

1911's are pretty good about allowing the grip high enough to manage recoil.  It's the SIGs that just annoy me.  If I had to choose a firearm other than a Glock, then it would be a 1911.  

Compared to a 1911, Glocks ARE cheap.  Still more reliable than the 1911, but CHEAP.  Trigger wise, if you are a 1911 shooter, then a Glock trigger will feel VERY strange, even to the point of "****ty".  It has alot more "slack" before the break.  Once you have a good feel for taking up the slack and sitting on the break for the shot, the "****ty" feel goes away.

Terror

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2005, 11:52:42 PM »
1911's are pretty good about allowing the grip high enough to manage recoil.  It's the SIGs that just annoy me.  If I had to choose a firearm other than a Glock, then it would be a 1911.  

Compared to a 1911, Glocks ARE cheap.  Still more reliable than the 1911, but CHEAP.  Trigger wise, if you are a 1911 shooter, then a Glock trigger will feel VERY strange, even to the point of "****ty".  It has alot more "slack" before the break.  Once you have a good feel for taking up the slack and sitting on the break for the shot, the "****ty" feel goes away.

Terror

I learned to shoot on a custom 1911 with a 3 pound trigger, and with a .22 and .357.

The glock trigger felt like it was fighting me, just not right at all.

Now I think I heard somewere you dont have to let the trigger all the way back out to keep shooting on a glock is that the case? Is that what your talking about?

I don't think the Glocks are bad, to many people swear by them, but it just did not feel right.

I hold the sig high enough the slide can catch the web of my hand a bit and on ocasion makes me bleed. The hammer on my dads 1911 always  makes be bleed lol.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2005, 01:06:00 AM »
I owned a Glock 21(.45) and had no problems with it, put well over 10,000 rounds through it.  Of corse I reload my own ammo.  But over the years I've come to feel more comfortable carring a wheel gun over an auto.  Wish I had the money to get a S&W .44 Titanium.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2005, 08:40:35 AM »
Good to go!  Sometime this winter should be good.  From November 15 to January 15, my company freezes all changes to the computer environment, so it's a good time for me to take a few days off.  If you have some time then, I say lets do it!

And according to packing.org Indiana honors my Missouri CCW.  Just got to be real careful crossing Illinois.  Keep the carry gun unloaded and locked up while in Illinois!

I also notice you are looking into getting some training...  I've been taking training through this outfit:  The Defensive Shooting Academy.  A good group of guys...

Got a busy weekend coming up.  IDPA on Saturday and GSSF on Sunday.  Gonna be FUN!

Terror

For Three years I was M.C.O.L.E.S. Certified (formerly MLEOTC), I always have it unloaded and in the range bag when travelling.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
I like 45 ACP!
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2005, 09:37:07 AM »

Now I think I heard somewere you dont have to let the trigger all the way back out to keep shooting on a glock is that the case? Is that what your talking about?

It's not what I'm talking about, but it is true that you can reset a Glock trigger by just slightly releasing the trigger to the point where you feel it reset.  Most instructors I have talked to don't recommend this though as it is easy when shooting quickly to not let the trigger out enough to reset and think you've had a malfunction.   A full release and then a "slack-out" to the break is the best way to ensure the Glock will fire.  I use this same technique all all my firearms, even the 1911's.  The amount of "slack" is unique to each firearm and takes a mag or two to get the feel for.

Terror