Author Topic: Post a tip for flying Fw-190A/D/Fs  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Post a tip for flying Fw-190A/D/Fs
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 08:09:55 AM »
The 190 is great fun to E fight in, it's great fun to B&Z in, only the people who are B&Z:ed think it is boring, and I couldn't care much less what they think.

The 190's are great fun to stall fight in although they are difficult, everything outturns them.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 08:15:26 AM »
Originally posted by DipStick
190s are easy mode, just run - dive - shoot - climb - repeat. You have ammo for days. Anyone who can hit a deflection shot can rack up easy kills cherrypicking in them.

I don't know how people can stand that boring watermelon but that's just me. Not to say that there aren't a couple of guys who can fight in them but they are few and far between.

Also IMHO the A5 is the only 190 that's any fun. It actually turns pretty good to a point. I've flown it a few times and had a blast turn fighting some of the better turners.

And you must be spending too much time getting vulched or cherry picked by SHawk.

I will agree though the A5 is the most fun to fly. as well as being able to turn halfway decent a tank of fuel lasts a hell of alot longer then the other variants.

I am usually willing to mix it up in whatever Im in. If Im running its usually cause Im either out of ammo,low on fuel or running to get separation so that I can turn around and re-enter the fight and have some E to play with.

You can turn fight the other variants. just not for long. And you shouldt turn fight at all but roll fight. You can accomplish much the same thing without using all your E in one turn.

And actually unless Im being gangbanged I almost prefer my opponents to start off higher then me.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 09:18:14 AM »
Originally posted by DipStick
190s are easy mode, just run - dive - shoot - climb - repeat. You have ammo for days. Anyone who can hit a deflection shot can rack up easy kills cherrypicking in them.

I don't know how people can stand that boring watermelon but that's just me. Not to say that there aren't a couple of guys who can fight in them but they are few and far between.

Also IMHO the A5 is the only 190 that's any fun. It actually turns pretty good to a point. I've flown it a few times and had a blast turn fighting some of the better turners.

Yes they're easymode when youv got the E but once youv lost it and have a con on your six its takes more skill to get them off then if your in any other plane
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 09:36:29 AM »
Dont use the gunsight, it is useless.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 09:49:30 AM »
Mando?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 10:05:40 AM »
Originally posted by Larry
Yes they're easymode when youv got the E but once youv lost it and have a con on your six its takes more skill to get them off then if your in any other plane

Can only go by what I see in the MA. I've flown the A5 some but "fought".. as in furballed in it. That was fun for me, like furballing in jug too.

What I've seen in MA is dive - shoot - run - repeat adnauseum. If anyone gets close it's floppy fish 101. Seen a few use the ludicrous rollrate to evade nicely but that's also those rare ones who can actually fly it.

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 10:18:06 AM »
Yes Wilbus, I never use the sight. Current sight/head placement and gun dispersion render the sight useless, specially historic and accurately marked sights like Revis. Actually the sight is more and obstacle than a helpful tool for 190s and 109s.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »
In addition to what some of the others said, I take 75% fuel or less depending on the distance to the fight.   I try to have about 50% or less when entering a fight.  I do not take the outer MG-FF's with me (so this applies to the A5, as I don't fly the Dora much anymore nor the A8 or F8).   At this weight, the A5 can surprise some of the less experienced.  It's possible to pull the nose up (stay out of plane) while slow and get an overshoot.  If you get someone decent on your tail chances are you're dead anyway but at least you can try.  Only problem is you don't have much time before your fuel runs out.  

Practice flying slow - you'll need to use the rudder a lot.  Just in case...

Gunnery is really important, which is why I suck and can't land more than 4-5 kills per sortie.  This means being able to properly set up shots as well as execute them.  It isn't easy to get snapshots with only 2x20mm but it's doable if you get in close and the target is slow.  You'll also need a steady hand here, which is something that I need to work on also.  If you need last minute corrections, your chances of missing increase.  I had been flying with tracers off, but after turning them back on again I found I have not been leading the shots enough even at 200 yds.  Mandoble is right, because of dispersion and ballistics I try to shoot at 200 yds or under (convergence set to 200-250yds) to deal with it.  

mauser

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 01:20:48 PM »
Avoiding all the jokes and put-downs about the 190s, let's get back on track.

Trying to lead an enemy target while it's under your nose is hard. You can't see squat. So either give it lots of lead and spray/pray (you have plenty of ammo for both), try to position yourself ahead of the target and roll your plane so the enemy target crosses from the "top" of your screen. That way you have much better visibility to get the shot. The superb roll rate helps this, as you can get into position and instantly roll 180, fire on the target, then roll 180 again and reposition if necessary.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 01:25:29 PM »
I'm not a great pilot by any means, and I wouldn't presume to know so much as to tell other people what to fly and how to fly it, but I started in the 109F and the 190A5. I found both planes to be quite easy to fly. Whatever you fly the most, will become the plane in which you fly best. We aren't real pilots, in real planes, in a real war. Familiarity, and some basic grasp of fighting will overcome many of a planes shortcomings.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 02:35:54 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
.....We aren't real pilots, in real planes, in a real war. Familiarity, and some basic grasp of fighting will overcome many of a planes shortcomings.

This guy is obviously nuts, and I would be suspect about anything he posts from this time forth.  What does he think this is  -  a  game?!?!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
Hub, you are right. Flying the plane over and over will make you better, but reading a thing or two first, and then trying them out, helps a lot. You might fly for a year and get really good, but then somebody says "kick in flaps at the top of a loop, they'll flip your nose over much faster", and while you COULD have done that on your own, and may have eventually found out, if somebody lets you in on the "secret" you learn that much faster.

Just an example.

I try not to get stuck in the same plane(s) all the time. I try to fly various makes and models. That way I learn what works in different planes and try to apply it to similar flying planes. Example: The C205 flies a lot easier if you fly a 109 for a while before trying the C205. And, believe it or not (I'm guessing NOT) I find that flying a 190A is a lot like flying the Ki84. Sure it turns better but is has some similar qualities.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 05:19:53 PM »
You know, I'm going to have to agree with you on that. I also fly a variety of planes, and tend to think as much about what my opponent's plane's strengths are, as I do about my own plane. And again, that comes down to either advice I've received, or experience in a particular plane. Obviously, it's alot easier to get 5 minutes worth of hints than 5 years worth of dweebtime, but I have the latter, so I'm a bit biased, I suppose.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 05:24:48 PM »
lol, you ALMOST made my list of quotes in my sig, but almost isn't enough :)

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 08:04:29 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
try to position yourself ahead of the target and roll your plane so the enemy target crosses from the "top" of your screen.

OMG :huh

How about only rising your head a bit?