Author Topic: Vapor trails would be cool  (Read 3762 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Vapor trails would be cool
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2005, 02:26:10 AM »
Brooke you or nobody else answered my question about the film. It was: Do you think anyone could repeat that manouver with a real aeroplane? As far as I see it a real aeroplane would not have enough stick authority in that situation to be able to turn anywhere. Also note I never went into an uncontrollable spin, my speed and altitude just finally droped enough for the wing to clip ground.

I turned in 360 degree circles at near stall speed yanking the stick hard at 50 or so feet while doing it. I can't believe a real plane would give that sharp stick response at that speed and/or angle let alone stay in controlled flight. Remember there were several factors speaking towards this: Near or stall speed. Violent stick movements at stall speed. Full throttle at stall speed. 90 degree to the ground while turning at stall speed. Hard rudder input in order to remain level while doing full throttle, 90 degree towards to the ground, stall speed 360 degree turn. Even though the basics in the FM are right they must be toned down - if they were identical to actual flight response it would take an absolute retard to be able to crash a vintage fighter in landing. Blow an engine in P38 while landing - no problem. Easily controlled flight. Yet not so long ago an experienced pilot went into a spin and died as a result.

Please, I'm not buying it. AH must be in the category 'close to true, simplified enough for beginners'.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 02:37:33 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2005, 02:33:11 AM »
Originally posted by OttoJ
Why do some people think that a bomber's engine would produce a contrail, but a fighter's engine would not?

Bombers would leave a much larger signature and be spotted easyer though. That being said contrails would not serve the function they had in real life because of our inflight radar and high dot distance. No high-alt plane can practically escape unseen.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline OttoJ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2005, 02:49:38 AM »
Nor could they in WWII over Britain in 1940-41 and the Reich in 1943-45.

And how exactly would you distinguish a flight of P-38's from say a flight of B-26's? And a single fighter engine running on a rich mixture might very well produce more exhaust vapor than two bomber engines running lean. The radial engined P-47 would probably produce twice the amount of vapor than a Merlin, given its much larger displacement. There are many variables.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 02:55:19 AM by OttoJ »

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2005, 03:00:29 AM »
MrRiplEy[H] :

`If you compare real guncam video to AH video the first thing you'll notice is how real planes first change AOA and then start turning as the aerodynamic forces overcome the kinetic energy. In AH we don't have such an effect as far as I see it, the planes fly 'on rails'.

Morpheus:

No they absolutely do not. They are as close to the real thing as you can get without actually getting into a REAL plane.

I think both of these statements are a bit overly bold, but both have some truth, Ah's fm isnt the best i have flown in the sim world but its the best in the "entertainment aircombat" genre imho.

I have had the pleasure of flying a 1942 AT-19 Reliant "Gullwing" and the first thing i noticed when flying it was the amount of slip these old planes had, i find ah to be lacking compaired to RL and to other sims from what i can see and "feel" (as much as you can in a sim atleast). I never fly with combat trim and such, but when lining up a shot it seems too easy, i expect to be sliding around a bit more.

I also find the feedback of pulling back on the stick and seeing a change in AOA a bit fast, as MrRiplEy[H] was stating, it feels just a bit too responsive, but this may be a conciouse game interface issue.

Ah fm coding is great, and it does do its job well withought stomping on too many historical numbers, there are quite a few places it can grow FM realism  wise and i have no doubt it will with some good R&D, as well as time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 04:04:11 AM by eilif »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2005, 03:25:36 AM »
Yes my choice of words were on the hard side when I said 'on rails'. There was a marked improvement not so long ago in the FM in this exact area.

I remember how much adjustment was needed when the FM changed.

Don't take me wrong, I love AH and I think it's the best product on the market. HT has done an awesome job - but he also has to think marketing and wide playerbase. Which is why we lack engine controls, having to turn 10 switches just to fly etc.

Gameplay concessions in order to have fun doing combat.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2005, 06:54:57 AM »
I also find the feedback of pulling back on the stick and seeing a change in AOA a bit fast, as MrRiplEy[H] was stating, it feels just a bit too responsive, but this may be a conciouse game interface issue.

Im no expert of flying by any means. But I have flown and Im lucky enough to know a guy like Mars01 who gives me the chance to fly on a fairly regular basis in his own planes.
The responsiveness to me between both AH and a real plane does feel similar. But again, your talking about a aerobatic plane and aww2 fighter, two very different birds which some had hydraulic asist, and others did not, some weighed as much as a school bus, others a honda civic. At speed, the responsiveness seems similar, they're right there. When at stall speed the lack of response is there, just like in a real plane.

SHort of MrRip, getting into a real plane and actually flying I cant say much more. I can but I just dont want to.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 07:00:46 AM by Morpheus »
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2005, 08:50:53 AM »
MrRiplEy[H]:

We do not alter flight dynamics in any for game play consesions.

That is a totaly different item than switch manigment.

HiTech

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2005, 09:10:36 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
MrRiplEy :

Real planes I have departed during dog fights.

[SIZE=8]P51[/SIZE]
RV8
Marchety.

HiTech

Did i mention i hate you?:furious

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Vapor trails would be cool
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2005, 11:59:32 AM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
Actually that's exactly what it is.

The wings of an airplane cause a drop in air pressure in the vicinity of the wing (this is partly what allows a plane to fly). This drop in air pressure brings with it a drop in temperature, which can cause water to condense out of the air and form a contrail.

The do not last as long as contrails from engine exhaust because the drop in temperature is not as extreme.

Ah you're right! Thanks Morpheus

Offline yuto

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.americanairport.us/class_c/yuto/album/photo1a.html
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2005, 12:13:07 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Brooke you or nobody else answered my question about the film. It was: Do you think anyone could repeat that manouver with a real aeroplane? As far as I see it a real aeroplane would not have enough stick authority in that situation to be able to turn anywhere. Also note I never went into an uncontrollable spin, my speed and altitude just finally droped enough for the wing to clip ground.

I turned in 360 degree circles at near stall speed yanking the stick hard at 50 or so feet while doing it. I can't believe a real plane would give that sharp stick response at that speed and/or angle let alone stay in controlled flight. Remember there were several factors speaking towards this: Near or stall speed. Violent stick movements at stall speed. Full throttle at stall speed. 90 degree to the ground while turning at stall speed. Hard rudder input in order to remain level while doing full throttle, 90 degree towards to the ground, stall speed 360 degree turn.

I'll have to disagree with you here.  It seems like most of your arguments are based on how you 'feel' the actual airplane should behave in those regimes.  

To summarize:
-you feel that the actual airplane at low speeds and high power settings will not be able to handle as well as it does in AH.
-you feel that things like stall/spin recoveries are too easy in AH.
-you feel the the asymmetric forces of flight due to the prop (slipstream, torque, P-factor, and gyroscopic precession) are toned down in AH.

Keep in mind that things like sideslip and angle of attack are not as apparent in simulated environments because most of what you perceive as uncoordinated flight in real life comes from the seat of your pants.  So unless you have a close eye on the turn coordinator or angle of attack indicator, it's very unlikely that you'll notice their presence.  Also, note that the angle of attack is not the flight path angle.  Just because your nose bounces up almost instantaneously when you yank the stick back, it doesn't necessarily mean that the airplane flight path is in the same direction as your nose.  What happens isn real life (and in AH too) is first, the nose comes up and the angle of attack spikes; here, your airplane keeps moving in its original direction; second, because of the increase in lift, the airplane gradually starts accelerating upward; as this happens, the airplane flight path gradually 'catches up' to the direction of the nose, and the angle of attack settles back to its original unperturbed state (more or less).

My point is this: in AH, there's really no way of knowing if this is what's really happening because again, you can't feel the g-forces like you can in real life.  But considering that this is one of the fundamentals of flight dynamics, I see no reason why they wouldn't model it this way.  My bet is that AH models all the forces and moments (due to aerodynamics, gravity, and the engine), assumes very accurate mass and moment characteristics for each planes, and integrates the equations of motions to calculate the trajectory and position.  There's no other way you can make it this realistic.  How do I know it's realistic?  Call it intuition; call it blind faith.

Also, you say that real life pilots wouldn't dare do these kinds of low-alt maneuvers.  Damn right! Just because I can do some slow uncoordinated flights at tree-top level in AH, it doesn't mean I'll be willing to risk my life with a real airplane.  What we consider to be pretty possible in AH (~95% success rate) is no where close to being good enough in real life.  If you had a 5% chance of crashing and dying in a plane tomorrow, would you go flying?  I wouln't.   The difference isn't in the flight realism; it's in what you as an AH pilot and a real life pilot with a wife and two kids perceive to be acceptable levels of risk.  

So there you have it.  AH is as real as it gets for all practical purposes -- that is, for 99.999% of the population.  The remaining 0.001% are the ones that have flown these things for a living.  But it's definitely not you or me.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2005, 03:19:34 PM »
Also, you say that real life pilots wouldn't dare do these kinds of low-alt maneuvers.

There is a very good reason they call flying (aerobatics) the worlds most dangerous sport.

Not all REAL LIFE pilots wouldnt dare.

CLICK ME

You can hear him talking over the radio towards the middle part of the film if you listen.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 03:25:41 PM by Morpheus »

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2005, 01:11:51 PM »
Totally unrealistic flight model. No Cessna 150 could do that.

I also think the weight isn't modeled correctly. You need two 20mm cannon and two .50 M2 machine guns plus a full load of ammo, some armor plate, O2 tanks, and enough fuel for an effective combat range and then see how it flys. I'm sure its aerobatic capabilities will be greatly reduced compared to how a real aircraft flys.  :rofl

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2005, 10:30:34 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Brooke you or nobody else answered my question about the film. It was: Do you think anyone could repeat that manouver with a real aeroplane?

Yes.

Please, I'm not buying it. AH must be in the category 'close to true, simplified enough for beginners'.

You're not buying it, but you're making claims about realism of flight models based on no real-life flight testing of your own and no study of the physics or math of flight dynamics.  I'd say close to true, simplified where required by limits of technology and modelling, but not simplified in its flight model for beginners.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2005, 03:51:29 PM »
I'd say close to true, simplified where required by limits of technology and modelling

alas the limits of the table based fm. Im amazed that its still in use, its easier and faster to make than a true phisics based fm but its got alot less potential.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2005, 06:12:16 PM »
Originally posted by eilif
alas the limits of the table based fm. Im amazed that its still in use, its easier and faster to make than a true phisics based fm but its got alot less potential.

And tell me exatly how you would have even an incline of knowledge on the subject. Nore for that mater what the term "Table based model is", or even why and when tables are used and are not.  And the effect of said tables.

Some days darts get under my skin. especialy when some people are "Stuck on stupid." or my version "Clueless dolts."

HiTech