Author Topic: Any "Eric Hartmann" in AH ?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Any "Eric Hartmann" in AH ?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005, 12:51:48 AM »
Yup, Galland was the one I was thinking of.  How many kills did he get?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2005, 02:47:32 AM »
In Hartmann's autobiography he claims 5 Mustangs and 60-some Il-2's iirc. Wetrat is also correct about him bailing when he was completely defensive vs 5 or so Mustangs, but....he didnt bail until his 109 ran out of gas ;)

Tomorrow I will check the book and see if I can find out more info on dates on the Mustang kills, and see if I can find the total number of Il-2's he claimed.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2005, 07:10:36 AM »
His kill claims can be found on Tony Wood's Claims u. Casualties (the site is still down though, exceeded bandwidth) and they have been researched by Bernd Barbas and published in Revi Magazine.

Here's what Jan Bobek of Revi magazine says about the article:

I as one of two authors of Hartmann article in REVI can say that "our" claim list is copy of Bernd Barbas research.

But today Tony Wood files seems to be much more correct and sometimes different at least till late 1944.

For 1945 the Bernd´s list is still only reliable source.

fyi you can contact Bernd on his forum:

JG52 Research Forum and post questions there.

On the 24 June '44 JG52 engaged in Luftkampf with P-51s of the 325. The only 2 mustangs lost by the 325 were listed above.  Relevant MACR could show more details in terms of time and circumstances.

Hartmann claimed only one P-51 Mustang as destroyed in Jägergradnetz square 65137 at 09.50 pm on 24 June '44. (Abschuß number 264). Any other P-51 shot down that is attributed to Hartmann is false.

Only Hartmann's first 150 or so kill claims are known 100% and can be documented in his first log book. His second logbook was stolen when he surrendered in '45. Those kills are reconstructed from memory / other documents. As many as one third of Hartmann's victories may never have been officially ratified by on-high. Around 307 of his claims were forwarded to the OKL for ratification prior to December '44 but as its well known that late in the war their were no claims were officially ratified.

Here is a a list of Hartmann's kill claims as compiled on Kacha' Luftwaffe page

(source I believe is Tony Woods)

Erich Hartmann scroll to the bottom.

Tolliver/Constable's book is full of errors.  However, you are correct that Hartmann is said to have baled out at least once.

Some of you may know that Hartmann's kill claims have been under a lot of scrutiny. His being credited with 352 kills is just to much for some to accept. His final kill total, and the exact number of each type of aircraft will be never known. Even his own comrades were skeptical of his claims during the war. So much so that that Dieter Hrabak (Kommodore) assigned Hartmann as his wing for a time.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 07:16:20 AM by Bruno »

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Any "Eric Hartmann" in AH ?
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2005, 08:58:03 AM »
Originally posted by Fariz
Impossible. I am playing for a kill streak at the start of each months, and must say it is getting more and more hard with time. Random kills generators aka puff acks are sooner or later getting kill on you when you flying over 3k at their range. When Fishu got his 300+ kills no death in tour, it were no flaks, manned acks, puffed acks, no la7s, tempests, 262s, 5'' etc, etc, etc.

I even can't get to my best kill streak of 93, which was few years ago, normally I die before 40 kills.

I was curious if someone made it
 Fariz, i not talking about not getting killed  , cuz the game would be too boring, but not getting killed in certain plane,  109s .
Soo, you say is imposible, but should be eassyer to make 352 kills in cyberspace, sitting confortable in front of the computer monitor, in a chair without high Gs and the stress of real combat.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2005, 02:23:53 PM »
On June 23 1944 near the Ploesti oilfields Hartmann claimed 4 Mustangs on his first sortie vs the Americans. This action is described on pages 161 - 165. On his 5th mission vs the Americans near Ploesti Hartmann claimed another Mustang and set another on fire (that one most likely didnt make it home either) This engagement ended with Hartmann completely defensive vs 8 Mustangs and is also when he bailed after his 109 ran out of fuel. This action is described on pages 165- 169. He claimed two more Mustangs late in the war over Czechoslovakia while trying to intercept a Russian bombing raid. That action is described on pages 171 - 172.

I havent found where the book gives the total number of Il-2's Hartmann claimed however the log from his first 150 kills lists 6 Il-2's.

Tolliver/Constable's book is full of errors. However, you are correct that Hartmann is said to have baled out at least once.

There may be some errors, after all even the authors are human and we all know that all humans make mistakes from time to time, yet I doubt that it is *full of errors* since the authors told the story as it was told to them by Hartmann himself.

Some of you may know that Hartmann's kill claims have been under a lot of scrutiny. His being credited with 352 kills is just to much for some to accept. His final kill total, and the exact number of each type of aircraft will be never known.

His final kill total is known imo, 352. To many times folks try to discredit those who have achieved amazing things, sometimes they have good reason to, other times they only attempt to discredit because they themselves cannot fathom how such feats were accomplished. Look at the American that won the Tour de France several times (forget his name atm, but bicycle racing isnt a sport I normally keep close tabs on). The French are attempting to discredit his victories in that ultimate bicycle race of endurance.

I doubt if any source on Hartmann's kills by type is 100% accurate. As you stated, his second log book has unfortunately been lost to us.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
okay i'll put up prize
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2005, 02:35:13 PM »
top prize of the line Sony  5 disc dvd play brand new in box model dvp-nc80v. or 6 months paid in aces high.

now rules  
1.  only can fly  entire tod 109g10 and 109g6 all sorties must be in fighter mode. No  other sortie in game of any kind untill record broke. Thoguht on this is keeps guys from playing when nubers low and threats low from haveing adavantage of when numbers hi   threats hi   they don't fly other planes waiting for numbers to be low again.........
2. Must record  name of every kill, use films these must be kept to keep duel accounts out of contest. ( you don't have to save films just names off all your kills) which can then be checked in fighter stats.
3. You must state before start next tour your intentions to try.
4. any european wins he or she responsible for shipping and power converters. and any  charges for ace's high over 79 dollars for 6months charge.
5. in case of tie shortest hours in game will break tie.

to win you must have 352 kills in these 2 plane types  no Deaths and 5 bails or ditches. Any death  and your out contest. no exceptions.

Wie ghents     have fun  all.............

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2005, 02:37:59 PM »
thats a HELL of an offer rod

would be fun, but i can't fly :( no internet @ home.

good luck all
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Re: okay i'll put up prize
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2005, 02:57:43 PM »
Originally posted by rod367th
top prize of the line Sony  5 disc dvd play brand new in box model dvp-nc80v. or 6 months paid in aces high.

now rules  
1.  only can fly  entire tod 109g10 and 109g6 all sorties must be in fighter mode. No  other sortie in game of any kind untill record broke. Thoguht on this is keeps guys from playing when nubers low and threats low from haveing adavantage of when numbers hi   threats hi   they don't fly other planes waiting for numbers to be low again.........
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Why to fly only 109s all tour?!  would be too boring, i would say you are not competing in other planes, soo you can die in any other planes, but not in 109s

2. not everyone has time to fly too much in 1 tour, soo why not to be able to finish the next tour?

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Re: okay i'll put up prize
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2005, 03:03:49 PM »
Originally posted by rod367th
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll add another 100$,for the prize, or 6 months AH paied,
 HTC can hold them anytime from my card if is getting serious:)

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2005, 03:07:05 PM »
they can fly any thing they like after 352 kills or out because of death.

couple of reasons  

1. not dying in mornings is alot easier than evenings with 500 players on instead ot 50..........some might fly 109's when chance of dying low  and other planes when chance high.

2. Hartman only flew  109's so to be true eric haryman winner only fly 109's

okay 1 exception  goons.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2005, 03:15:49 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
If you do get to the k/d of E Hartman it would be cool if only those guys who did it to get the plane skin. :)

good idea, i think this was Hartmann's 109 skin,

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2005, 03:22:53 PM »
Ghi  ;lets do bounty on guys in contest say 3 months subsrciptiion to who ever shots down the most of guys in contest/ Eric  had price on his head this would add some fun. only rule is U have to kill these contest players in a allied plane?

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2005, 03:35:31 PM »
On June 23 1944 near the Ploesti oilfields Hartmann claimed 4 Mustangs on his first sortie vs the Americans. This action is described on pages 161 - 165. On his 5th mission vs the Americans near Ploesti Hartmann claimed another Mustang and set another on fire (that one most likely didnt make it home either) This engagement ended with Hartmann completely defensive vs 8 Mustangs and is also when he bailed after his 109 ran out of fuel. This action is described on pages 165- 169. He claimed two more Mustangs late in the war over Czechoslovakia while trying to intercept a Russian bombing raid. That action is described on pages 171 - 172.

See my post above. Or just go to Mr. Barbas' site and ask him personally. Mr. Barbas' is writing the history of JG52 and has attended everyone one of JG52s yearly reunions going back 20 years.

Also Hartmann's claims can be found on Tony Wood's site (if the bandwidth problems are ever figured out). Mr. Woods data comes from actual LW records. You can also  find a list of 'Hartmann' claims on the Kacha's web page(see link I provided). You can also email the web master there for more info.

Researcher and author Jean-Yves Lorant has researched Hartmann's claims as well and he states that Hartmann only claimed 1 Mustang on 24.6.44. He goes on to say:

If you find informations about four Mustang on that day, it's simply false. His next kill was on 27 june 1944 was a Lavochkin La-5 !

Mr. Lorant posts on several LW forums and you should have no trouble tracking him down and asking him for more info.

Using Toliver/Constable's book as a source is pointless. Not only does it contain incorrect information for the time, new information and research since their book was published has has come to light.

There may be some errors, after all even the authors are human and we all know that all humans make mistakes from time to time, yet I doubt that it is *full of errors* since the authors told the story as it was told to them by Hartmann himself.

Hartmann didn't dictate the book to them. They wrote it, and yes 'full of errors' is accurate.

Contact the above researchers if you don't believe me.

His final kill total is known imo, 352.

Hartmann, like many other pilots, has a number of 'unconfirmed claims' as well as 'confirmedl claims' that are 'questionable'. Hartmann has stated that on many occasions he didn't wait around to watch the enemy aircraft hit the ground or for the pilot to bale out. Many of his kill claims were deep over enemy territory and couldn't be observed from the ground nor could the wreckage be observed. Hartmann was no super man.

Since researchers have only been able to review his first log book they are only in position to validate the first 150 or so. Even then as as I said above there was no real effort made in correctly ID'ing the specific plane type. That's why you see so many 'LaGG' claims. Without his second log book verifying his exact total number of kills / claims is impossible. It could be lower or higher for that matter.

To many times folks try to discredit those who have achieved amazing things, sometimes they have good reason to, other times they only attempt to discredit because they themselves cannot fathom how such feats were accomplished.

That's here nor there. Good researchers are always 'skeptics'. They arrive at conclusions based on established facts and evidence. The simple fact is there is no evidence to support 5 -7 (depending on who or what you read) Mustangs shot down by Hartmann. The evidence only shows 2*.

This does nothing to discredit Hartmann as a person. What does it matter if he only had 250 kills or if his true total was higher then 352 (it quite possibly could be)? This kind thing only really matters to the fact checkers and number geeks.

*fyi

03.45 Hartman is credited with 1 P-51 (Stab I./JG 52 was operating from the following airfields in March 1945: Weidengut (1.-16.3.45), Chrudim (16.-27.3.45), Raschdorf (27.-29.3.45) and Raudnitz (29.3.-17.4.45)) according to Barbas/Rajlich (on Kacha´s web page linked above).

According to Toliver/Constable Hartmann attacked a P-51 formation in '45 with his wingman that was above a Soviet Yak / P-39 formation (around 25 e/a) that was covering a formation of around 30 Bostons / Pe-2s.

Again according to Toliver/Constable, Hartmann claimed 2 P-51s shot down (smoking, but did not observe them crash) and then proceeded through the Soviet fighters to hit a Boston (Hartmann was not sure if it went either). According to Barbas/Rajlich (see the link Kacha's web page) Hartmann only claimed and / or was credited 1 of these P-51s (no. 347). The first P-51 may have been no. 346, but Barbas/Rajlich list it as just an e/a. As its been established JG52 made no extra effort in correctly ID'ing then aircraft thet made claims against. This 'e/a' could very well have been a Soviet fighter.

The second Rotte of JG 52 shot down one further P-51 (pilot baled out). JG 52 then escaped while the Soviet and USAAF fighters apparently engaged each other (Hartmann observed 3 Yaks going down burning and 1 P-51 with a glycol leak but I haven't found any confirmation of this).

Barbas/Rajlich (see the link to Kacha's web page) have one Boston /  B-25 claim on 1 or  2.45 (No. 335) and one B-26 (according to Toliver/Constable a B-25) on 10.4.45 (No. 346).

That's only 2 P-51s for Hartmann and possibly a third...

You can rely solely on Toliver/Constable if you choose but a lot folks have researched Hartmann. I listed 3 that you can contact for yourself.

Anyway this thread is way o/t. Folks have spent much more time researching Hartmann then either of us and even they arrive at different conclusions. I doubt anything will get solved by pro-longing this thread.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2005, 04:50:19 PM »
I am in, just for a sake of it. 5 bails or ditches makes it easier to get. Biggest problem is that I will hardly have enough time to play.

BTW, there are 2 problems you will face. First is disconnects. How you will count them? It is quite easy to force disconnect when you are without a wing for example. It is also easy to get disco for simple net issues. This tour I got 1 disco when without a wing and enemy fighter on me. Then I got 3 more when in a process of a good fat vulch. I just want to say, you can't control it. It can be in your favour, it can be against. And anyway they will look suspicious.

Second, films are huge. How you gonna check them? If I will upload films for so many hours, it will cost more money for me, than 5 times the current prize.

But anyway, I think this idea is good. Add something interesting for people, because TOD is again delayed, and lot of people are badly burned out.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2005, 08:48:22 PM »
I doubt anything will get solved by pro-longing this thread.

Of course nothing will get solved, to much documentation is now missing, especially Hartmann's second log book. However it IS fun to talk about it :)

Hartmann's second log book was taken from him by the Soviets, if it ever turns up alot of specualtion on what types and how many of each aircraft he shot down should be solved :)