Author Topic: Japan Pwn5 Again  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2005, 04:40:42 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
Obesity is a terrible phenomenon. I wish your nation every fortune in overcoming it.

Fortune is the problem. After watching the debacle in Louisiana, I think we're approximately nine days away from curing obesity. The downside is that we become a third world country in the process.
sand

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2005, 04:43:54 PM »
Not a very elegant solution though. If you do find one, let us know before our nation joins yours on the other side of the weighing scales.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2005, 05:02:29 PM »
"Obesity is a terrible phenomenon. I wish your nation every fortune in overcoming it."

So...anyone who can't get comfortable in a sardine can is fat now?

I guess being 6 foot 2 and 180 lbs is fat then, because I've never driven any car with a "Honda" badge that wasn't much too small.  I think they're built for people who are like 5 1/2 feet tall or something.  They're so narrow there's no space to stretch out.  Sure I can fit in them, but who wants to sit all bunched up for long periods of time?

The truth is, things like Hondas and such are just cheap, tiny, uncomfortable little cars that some people (mostly owners of such cars) like to talk up because it makes them feel better about owning an econobox.  I owned a car like that once--a Mercury Topaz.  It did its job, but I never tried to kid myself into thinking it was anything but a piece of junk.

After that, my Cadillac deVille was a decent midsize vehicle, and the Roadmaster I currently own is roughly the size and bulk a vehicle should be.  Any time I have to go somewhere with friends, they beg me to drive because the Buick is so utterly superior to their little Hondas and Cavaliers and such for any trip more than 5 minutes.  It's nice being able to drive all day long and not be stiff as a board when I reach my destination.

J_A_B

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2005, 05:55:05 PM »
I don't think anyone would say that you're obese - just logical. If the glove don't fit... you got to acquit. Ooops, wrong saying. You simply bought a car that suited you, no different than buying clothes that fit.

I think the point was that it makes no sense for people to complain about a car being too small. Just buy something bigger. They come in all shapes, colors and sizes.

The Japanese manufacturers have done a pretty good job of adapting to local (read 'foreign') markets, something that US carmakers are simply unable to do. US carmakers have such a low overseas sales rate, something the unions and management have never addressed seriously to improve the financial health of their companies. Here is where the saying "Stuck on stupid" really fits.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:57:23 PM by Rolex »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2005, 05:59:45 PM »
Thats true Rolex.. i know Toyota makes changes quickly to the cars they export here if something is wrong. Usually the importer knows what works here and tell Toyota so that they arrive here pretty well suited for our special requirements.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2005, 06:24:58 PM »
Originally posted by ahgod69
Had a Chrysler Sebring LXi (dumped 5g's into it) biggest POS I ever bought, had a mercedes 2 series and loved it.  Wasn't as expensive on the upkeep and it ran forever.  Have a BMW now for 2 years and have spent next to nothing on parts.  Upkeep has been good, but I quiver at the thoughts when I have to replace the brakes.  I prefer quality over low price.  I will never buy American again, everyone I have had have fallen apart or are freakin a money pit on repairs.  Euro or Japanese is the way to go, and that is just wrong.

Brakes are that bad. For 4 rotors and OEM pads, $401 for my 2001 330Ci.(Parts only, I do my own brakes, they're easy)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2005, 06:27:05 PM »
Product aside, the US automakers may be getting to the point where our railroads were in the late 60's.  Both the corporations and unions are so corrupt and inflexible that a lot of people won't feel sorry for them when they go under.  I wonder if some day names like Ford or Chevy will become "fallen flags" like New York Central or Erie are today.  

J_A_B

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2005, 06:27:35 PM »
Find me a stock Japanese car that will run with a corvett Z06 and I will kiss ur butt.

The list of asian cars listed I mean who would want one of those boring turds?

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2005, 06:33:30 PM »
Originally posted by JTs
my current truck is a 2003 KW 900L its got just shy of 500,000 miles.  the only thing we have replace is two sets of drive and 3 sets of stear tires.  just cant buy good h rated tires anymore. we change the oil (11 gallons, 2 oil filters, 2 fuel filters and 1 water filter) and lube it  every 10 days and  air filters, belts and hoses every 6 months.  she should last us about 10 years.
the truck i had before this was a 94 PETE 379 she had over 2 million miles when we trade her in 2003.  every car, horse and deer  thats crashed into us has lost. 40 plus tons versus 2-3 in a car. americans still build a few good ones.

CAT or Cummings?
I had a 94 KW 300"wlb 425 Cat and 15 spd bought it used it had 45K on it I put another 600K on her before I sold her.
And the dude I sold her too still uses the truck as a rock hauler.

Then euro trucks wont make a zit on a american truck arse.

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2005, 06:35:42 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
Obesity is a terrible phenomenon. I wish your nation every fortune in overcoming it.

Lets see fat and the worlds only super power Ummm.
I guess I will stay fat.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2005, 09:29:42 PM »
I had a '96 Ford Probe. V6, pretty nice car. The timing chain tensioner died with about 96,000 miles. The dealers recommendation "don't fix it, it ain't worth it". This is on a fairly new car with under 100,000 miles. I did all the maintainance, blah, blah, etc... I sold it for $500. What a complete rip-off. Seriously, under 100,000 miles and the dealer calls it a write-off?

I hate ford.

Although... I'm sort of lusting after one of the decomissioned Highway Patrol Crown Victoria P71 interceptors. At least it's a fleet vehicle.

g00b

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2005, 12:15:15 AM »
<----- Savin my "American Dollars" for the 1st CanaDUHian car MANufactured.

tick

tock

tick

tock

tick

tock

sigh

*echos in a dark hallway.........*

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2005, 12:59:08 AM »
Anybody see the Top Gear episodes where they beat the sense out of an old Toyota pickup? Submerged it during an ocean storm, hit it with a wrecking ball, set it on fire, smashed it through a wood building, set it on top of a concrete building while it was demolished, ect.

Using simple tools (the kind Joe carries in his back seat) they were able to get it running and moving under its own power again after each round.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2005, 02:07:01 AM »
Sunday, October 30, 2005 at 13:26 JST

TOKYO — Nissan Motor Co said its group operating profit in the six months to Sept 30 rose 2% from a year earlier to a record 411.54 billion yen due mainly to a 15% global sales surge and cuts in automobile parts procurement costs.

"Despite the severe business environment, Nissan's fundamentals continue to strengthen thanks to appealing products and a competitive cost structure," Nissan President Carlos Ghosn said in a statement. Nissan said its global sales rocketed to 1,834,000 units due partly to sales expansion in the United States to a record 571,000 units.

-----------

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Japan Pwn5 Again
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2005, 11:24:10 AM »
Lets see fat and the worlds only super power Ummm.
I guess I will stay fat.

You are not the world's only super-power - several million others also fail to grasp the concept of calorie intake versus physical activity.

Besides, super-powerdom and lardiness are not neccesarily related, as far as I can see. Lose some weight and find out.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 11:26:25 AM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.