Author Topic: Frickin dog  (Read 805 times)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Frickin dog
« on: November 16, 2005, 05:03:18 PM »
We got a German Shepard puppy last Aprl and by this time I figured he'd be able to stay in the house all day without chewing crap up.  Especially since it is getting colder we just leave the dogs inside.  Well not once but twice I had to yell at him, once when I got up and once when I got home.  I'm out of ideas and my step dad seems to think his "little" dog is an angel.  Mostly because he didn't have to clean up the dog stuff for 2 monthes.  So I get home I yell "bad dog!" "NO" several times to him while showing him what he had done.  Didn't seem to phase him.  I don't know what to do, is yelling at him the wrong thing to do?  I don't want to pull out my airsoft gun and ping him with it.  I'm just extremely frustrated.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 05:04:51 PM »
Try to catch him, and use a squirt gun. If that doesn't work they sell this stuff that odorless except to dogs, you spray it where you don't want them to chew or piss..it works.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 05:07:03 PM »
Yeah but he does it while no one is home, thus you can't catch him in the act.  I know German Shepards are like dalmatians and need constant attention but jeez.  I seem to be the only one that thinks there is a problem.  We'll see what my step dad says when he comes home to a tore apart TV controller.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 05:08:17 PM »
Do you have chew toys for him? His teeth are probably bothering him being a young pup and all...

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 05:13:17 PM »
7 monthes and his teeth should still be bothering him?  I guess i'll just have to pull out some of his toys.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 05:15:44 PM »
Originally posted by nirvana
7 monthes and his teeth should still be bothering him?  I guess i'll just have to pull out some of his toys.

Dog's teeth:

Birth None
3-4 weeks Deciduous teeth coming in
6 weeks All deciduous teeth are in
3-5 months Permanent incisors coming in
5-6 months Permanent canines start to erupt and by end of 6 months are in.
6-7 Last molar in lower jaw (M3) is in

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 05:20:58 PM »
Your first problem was getting a dog...
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »
Taking him over to what he's chewed up and yelling at him when you get home doesn't do anything.  The dog has no idea what he's being yelled at for.  He may look guilty and look like he understands, but he's just reading your body posture.  

He'll need to chew on lots of things until he's almost 2.  Until then, leave some knuckle bones, rawhides and various chew toys out for him.  Also, make sure you do at least a little bit of training every single day.  German Sheperds are herding dogs and very intelligent.  Keep their mind busy and tired or they'll figure out their own games to keep occupied.  Do some research on clicker training.  Easy to do and the dog picks up on new things very quickly with it.  

Remember, a tired dog is a happy dog so work him!!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 09:03:44 PM »
Originally posted by Cougar68
Taking him over to what he's chewed up and yelling at him when you get home doesn't do anything.  The dog has no idea what he's being yelled at for.  He may look guilty and look like he understands, but he's just reading your body posture.  

You dont spend much time actually paying attention to dogs do you? LOL

They know. I know they know. And they know I know they know.

Not only do they know. But I am convinced they reason and plot their crimes and they know what they are doing is wrong even as they are doing it.

Case in point. One of my dogs LOVES bread Doesnt mater what kind he just loves it.
So one night last week I made some sausage sandwiches and happened to leave a roll on the counter. So Im sitting in the next room and out of the corner of my eye I see the dog sneaking, (yes I said sneaking) past the doorway and into the kitchen. so I quietly get up and stick my head around the corner just in time to see him get on his hind legs front paws on counter and trying to reach for the roll I had left there.
So I pull my head back and call..the cat "Psss psss psss Smokey"

All of a sudden I hear the dogs nails  frantically scratching on the floor while is trying to get traction and he shoots like a rocket past the doorway tail tucked between his legs and into the my sons room. Which I thought was funny as hell.
So I go into my sons room and say really friendly to him "Whatsa matter Jeb" (The dogs name) and he is just loooking at me guilty as hell.

They know. No way you can convince me otherwise

Now maybe a puppy. like any small kid dooesnt know untill you teach them.
But once you do. They know

Dont think so? No offence but I can prove your body posture theory doesnt mean jack.

Take a dog that has been taught not to chew on something
Deliberately use the same body posture and talk to him as though he had doen nothing
and then simply show him something that he has chewed after he has chewed it and see if he doesnt know, if he doesnt slink away tailtucked.

I've had dogs my whole life. They know. They all know
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 09:18:39 PM »
Keep all small things you do not want chewed on up out of reach.

I then found that spraying "Bitter Apple" (training aid) on stuff that my dog wanted to chew on that I didnt want him to chew on but was to big to be put up out of the way. The "Bitter Apple" dried but once his saliva re-wet the stuff he would start slobbering all over the place. He hates the stuff.

Then most other times were spent seeing what he liked to chew on and trying to catch him in the act. When caught I would trade him one of his toys for what he was chewing on and telling him that he is more than welcome to chew on what I was giving him because it is his but not to chew on my stuff.

It worked. Now he just chews stuff to get back at me when I have pissed him off. He is a smart dog and I cant blame him because in his way he is just settling the score.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Frickin dog
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 09:53:38 PM »
Hi Nirvana,

Don't know what parts of this you've already applied, so I apologize if this is all old hat for you.

Puppies need exercise, German Shepherd puppies need even more or they are just one big bag of nervous energy that is going to get vented one way or another. They also don't train themselves, they will need to be trained by you.

House training involves walking the dog 3-5 times a day, and ideally waiting till he does his business and then praising him to the skies for it. Lots of petting and GOOD DOGGIE! Then when he pees or poops inside, you tell him BAD DOG and wack him with a rolled up newspaper. Pretty soon even the most retarded dog figures out, "hey I poop outside I get praised, I poop inside I get punished, I'll wait till we go walkies" Just sticking to the negative reinforcement leaves them confused, "I don't get it man, I just do my business and you go completely ape. What the heck am I supposed to do?"

If you don't have the time or inclination to walk them 3-5 times a day or do the training and positive outlet stuff - throwing the ball, etc. you don't have time for a puppy or a young dog from a large breed. Take him back and get a housebroken old dog from a shelter. The kind whose only ambition is to spend the day sleeping.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 10:49:48 PM »
I average 1-2 hours a night (when i'm home) throwing the ball for him, he could fetch a ball all freakin day.  Walks are a different story, I used to do it when he was smaller, I just lost interest.  He's housebroken, he just chews on stuff endlessly.  I pulled out an old duck for him to chew on but he hasn't shown any real interest in it.

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 11:18:47 PM »
Dogs do a few things on instinct.
They eat
they crap
they chew
they bark
they pee on trees
They hump your girlfriends leg while your trying to get lucky on the couch.
they will lick there balls and then wanna kiss you.

here is how we trained our dogs.
First get a crate and put his happy arse in it and slowly let him have more space.
And as said above get him plenty of chew toys dogs are kinda like kids when bored they will get into trouble every time.

And last if not least If you dont have time to pay with him you really dont need the dog because he will be a pain in the arse for years to come.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 11:29:19 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Now maybe a puppy. like any small kid dooesnt know untill you teach them.
But once you do. They know

Dont think so? No offence but I can prove your body posture theory doesnt mean jack.

Take a dog that has been taught not to chew on something
Deliberately use the same body posture and talk to him as though he had doen nothing
and then simply show him something that he has chewed after he has chewed it and see if he doesnt know, if he doesnt slink away tailtucked.

I've had dogs my whole life. They know. They all know

LOL Great post... and may I suggest that the most malevolent pet known to man is a frikken cat that ****s in yer headphones when you piss it off.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 11:30:10 PM »
We had a chocolate lab and I am getting my own in the spring time.  One thing we  had on hand was "the can"

This was a metal can which held a few coins and if the dog was bad, you shook the can at them.  Supposedly they hated the noise (said the vet) and darned if it didn't work!