Author Topic: Whats going on in Canada?  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Whats going on in Canada?
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2006, 08:32:08 PM »
Originally posted by Momus--
Thanks Toad, I'll take that refusal to elaborate further on your previous statements as an admission that you can't actually do so despite being afforded repeated opportunities. I'll leave you and Beet to your mutual trolling now.

Take it anyway you like.

I've answered your questions repeatedly; I can't help it if you're not satisfied with the answers. I seriously doubt anyone that's read this far is unaware of my position, including you.

As for trolling... are you just unhappy that your bare hook got the attention it deserved?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2006, 08:45:38 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
It's true that most people wouldn't want it, but that's not the only reason I wouldn't want to see it. We saw what happened when the US tried to ban alcohol in the years 1926-33.
[/b]

Bear with me a bit longer.

You now say you don't want to see it because it would be hard to do successfully? Is that the new criteria?

I'm sure we both agree that if you totally banned alcohol in the UK there would be an immediate and significant drop in deaths caused by drunk driving, a reduction that would likely far exceed your total of handgun homicides by several multiples. Surely you don't dispute that? Not to mention the other deaths from drunken violence with sharp objects, spousal abuse, etc., etc..

So we both agree banning alcohol in England would save far, far more lives than banning any or all firearms, right?

We would also both agree that there would be an attempt at illegal alcohol production/sales. This would have to be dealth with using the same no-tolerance vehemence your government currently uses upon illegal firearms.

Illegality or no, the massive reduction in alcohol availability would save THOUSANDS of lives.

But you won't support it because it would be too difficult?

So saving lives is only worth it if it's an easy effort? Please do clarify; I can't believe you'd take that position.

Now let me ask YOU some questions: 1) Do you support the continued legalised sale of alcoholic liquor in the US? 2) DO you support the legalisation of class A drugs like heroin in the US?

I'm essentially a Libertarian. I pretty much believe you can do what you like (within Constitutional boundaries) as long as your actions don't impinge on the freedoms of others and as long as society isn't expected to coddle you when you screw yourself up.

With rights come responsibilities. If you wish to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, do so. If you are seriously brain damaged in a crash as a result, expect that society will let you experience the result of your choice without interference.

Same with drinking. Same with heroin. Same with guns for that matter.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2006, 10:10:17 AM »
different peoples... different way od looking at things.  We are citizens they are subjects.... They belive that, through government, their neighbors have a right to tell them what to do (unless they are upper class of course).

We don't...  We believe in limited governments where the bill of rights is a contract that is explicit... In order to ban booze we had to make an amendment.

We took the hard way and we did it no matter what the cost.  we only stopped when the amendment was repealled.   Americans ignored the ban on booze... I am positive that...

A ban on booze in england would work... the brits would grumble and then some royals and lords would make speeches and then the brits would all just drink tea in the pubs.

That is why it was so easy to ban guns there.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2006, 11:01:53 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Bear with me a bit longer.

You now say you don't want to see it because it would be hard to do successfully? Is that the new criteria?

No Toad, no new criteria. Nothing has changed at my end. The only thing that's changed is that your powers of comprehension have drifted a little further south.
I'm sure we both agree that if you totally banned alcohol in the UK there would be an immediate and significant drop in deaths caused by drunk driving, a reduction that would likely far exceed your total of handgun homicides by several multiples. Surely you don't dispute that? Not to mention the other deaths from drunken violence with sharp objects, spousal abuse, etc., etc..
I agree that if everyone who drinks now stopped drinking, and did not switch to an alternative intoxicant, that your utopian scenario could become a reality. BUT... the reason it would not work is that the British people simply would not accept it, and any government trying to implement such measures would find that there would be riots in the streets - worse than any alcohol fuelled violence which occurs in the big cities on Friday and Saturday nights. A crisis of confidence in the government would occur, and it's entirely possible that they'd be bounced out of office on a vote of no confidence - it happened in 1979, for different reasons. But hey - this could be the big chance for the Liberal Democrats led by Charles Kennedy! :lol (Brit joke - you wouldn't get it)

In a Muslim country, it IS possible to ban alcohol - without much of a protest - because alcohol has never been an ingredient of their social pattern, and is therefore not an issue in countries like Saudi Arabia. For the same reasons, there is no protest when gun legislation was introduced here. Gun ownership has always been sod all, and guns are simply not an issue. Conversely, guns are very much an issue in the US, and it would be impossible to ban them there.

Now Mr. Toad, do me a favour. READ this. ^ Don't make me type it all again, as it gets tedious after the first three times.

Lazs!
That is why it was so easy to ban guns there.
The reason it was easy to ban guns here is because guns were not an issue. In 1920 came the Firearms Act which, according to your NRA, "sailed through parliament". Well, as a nonissue, of course it did. Don't believe your NRA when they try to tell you that it was a "draconian measure" and that the British public was powerless to protest. There was no protest because it's what most people wanted. The law was passed by a democratically elected government which was reelected two years later in 1922. In 1924, the first Labour government, representing the masses/workers/(peasants, if you will) was formed and did not repeal this legislation. Reason: it was what most people wanted. But your NRA plays an interesting card. They know that few Americans would be capable of conceiving the notion of a country which does not want guns, so it's easy for them to gull you into believing that the government stomped all over its people in the process of passing this legislation. The sad thing is that you and Toad seem to believe your own bullshirt. If the 1997 gun "ban" (as you are fond of calling it) was so Draconian, then how do you explain that Tony Blair got reelected in 2001, and again in 2005? Answer: 99.5% of Brits couldn't give a fork about guns.

There have been at least three occasions in my lifetime when governments have been ousted and/or the PM has been sent packing as a result of public protest. - the miners' strike (1974), the poll tax riots (1989 - led to demise of Thatcher) and the winter of discontent (1979) - brought about the downfall of Callaghan's Labour govt., and was followed by 18 years of Tory Rule. :aok: If you think that we as a country will take any old crap from the government, better think again.
different peoples... different way od looking at things.
Very true.
We are citizens they are subjects....
Is that what it says on the NRA website? Funny that - my passport says this....

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 11:04:06 AM by beet1e »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2006, 11:09:31 AM »
If they passed a law in england that banned booze the people there would grumble and then comply... "queen knows what's best eh wot?"

Compliance would be ten times what it was in the U.S.   Millions of british subjects meekly complied with gun laws that they knew were wrong.

It's bred into em.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2006, 11:12:56 AM »
Lazs, you have no clue. The Queen plays no part in formulating new legislation. That's done by Parliament. The last Monarch who tried to defy Parliament suffered the ignominy of having his head separated from the rest of his body. That was way back in 1649. But take heart, you're about 100 years more up to date than Jackal!

:rofl

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2006, 11:15:36 AM »
Didn't say that queen passed laws.... said that you would listen to the old bag and comply.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2006, 12:25:47 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
Didn't say that queen passed laws.... said that you would listen to the old bag and comply.

lazs
still wrong

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2006, 12:28:05 PM »
Nothing you've said has changed my view of your position in the least.

In my opinion, after reading your responses in multiple threads on this subject, you support the various firearms restrictions because you have no interest in guns, not because it "saves lives". That it was easy to do really isn't a factor; the key is that your ox isn't being gored.

Conversely, in my opinion, you oppose the banning of alcohol because it IS one of your interests. Clearly it would save far more lives than firearms restrictions, would reduce overall violence in your society, would reduce the load on your free healthcare system significantly and it WOULD be largely successful after the initial phase in. But it would be a huge inconvenience to YOU, so you don't support it.

You've posted nothing that convinces me this isn't the actual fact of your position despite the smoke you blow in other directions.

Toodle.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2006, 12:31:39 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
The Queen plays no part in formulating new legislation.

Bull, royal assent.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2006, 12:32:57 PM »
Didn't say that queen passed laws

She does.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2006, 12:34:50 PM »
fact is... if the majority of people in england wanted booze banned then beet would comply.  Their whole country would comply and it would never be repealed...  

They would just get more draconian about the ban every time that anyone found a way to get drunk... they would ban any medicines that had alcohol in em for instance... all kind of new laws...  brits would comply.... even if millions didn't agree... it would be..  "well... it's the law"

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2006, 12:55:33 PM »
fact is... if the majority of people in england wanted booze banned then beet would comply.  
No, I'd move to France. Or Spain. Or Italy. Or... :p

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2006, 12:57:35 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
Bull, royal assent.
The royal assent is not part of the formulation of a new law. In other words *she* did not create that law, parliament did. Besides, she signs anything. :lol

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2006, 12:58:44 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Nothing you've said has changed my view of your position in the least.
I can't help what you think.

Pip.