Author Topic: Advice for newb?  (Read 963 times)

Offline Marvelous

• Zinc Member
Advice for newb?
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:59:44 AM »
First time player first time poster:

I am starting slowly and getting the feel of things in offline mode, I do not want to embarrass myself to much.  I was looking for some advice on Joysticks and what recommendations people have.  I currently use a MS sidewinder non FF

I have been playing around with the settings to get it so it is not sensitive however I have been finding level flight is very difficult it is like I am fighting it.  Are there settings I am missing or is it my stick, any ideas on the subject is appreciated.

Example: seems like any craft I fly it wants to dive to the right.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Advice for newb?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:28:19 AM »
Welcome to AH2,

A quick first and important hint: Make sure your stick is calibrated in windows as well as in AH (settings, controls, joystick, calibrate stick)
After you have done that, check under "settings" if you got steady input from your stick. You can see that in the right hand boxes. After that, u can adjust the various sensivities and dead-bands for each axis. Just have to play and test a little bit to find the rigth setting for you. Also, you can do a search on this forum, lots of people with lots more experience than me have posted their favourite settings.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ast

• Zinc Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
If you are looking for a new joystick, I highly recommend the Saitek X-52, it takes a while to get to but it's cheaper than any other HOTAS(hands on throttle and stick) setup that I know of! Plenty of buttons too. For your joystick, I don't remember if it has rudder or not, but part of it maybe your rudder controls wanting to dive you to the right, I'd calibrate then setup your rudder as two buttons.

Offline slimey_J

• Zinc Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 10:41:18 AM »
First, I would recommend that you calibrate your joystick – do it through the default windows calibration (Control Panel -> Game Controllers) and then do it through Aces High.

Second, I would recommend that you start flying in the training arena (“TA”) if for no other reason than to get used to flying around other folks. No one can shoot you down in the TA and the trainers there are always willing to help you get the hang of things. Don’t feel bad if you crash a few dozen times (or a few hundred times) in the TA – everyone has been there and done that before.

Cheers.

Offline Marvelous

• Zinc Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 10:53:24 AM »
This some good food for thought, and trust me I have no fear about crashing and burning :)  I am just glad I finally found a game that doesn't have Elves or Garden Gnomes :aok

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 11:07:04 AM »
Hi Marvelous, welcome to Aces High.

from the clip board (press escape to get there), click on set up ----> preferences-----> flight.  Put an X in the auto combat trim and auto take off boxes for the time being. Auto combat trim will help you to keep the aircrfat in coordinated flight. Auto take off will get you airborne the easiest.

When using auto take off just push the throttle forward, the aircraft will do the rest for you, until you input a stick movement, then it will disengage and you are in total control.

Auto combat trim will alleviate some of the work you need to do in regards to trimming your aircraft.

I don't recommend using stall limiter. It is a crutch and will not help you out later on.

As for rolling down and to the right, it is  trimable, but auto trim should correct it for you. Also, engine torque is a factor in most of the aircraft here, and will impart a rolling tendency. This is why when you takeoff or land the aircraft wants to swerve one way or the other. Some have more sever torque related  issues than others (depends on aircrfat type).

I wouldn't pop into the Training arena unless you wnat to start your free two week trial right away. As soon as you log into the arena, your trial will start. If you do wish to start your trial, by all means get into the training arena, there is usually lots of help there.

If you see me in any of the arena's and want some help, just give a yell. Always willing to help feed the new addiction;)  (ingame handle same as here)

Cheers, and once again

welcome to AH!

RTR
The Damned

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Advice for newb?
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 11:15:57 AM »
Marvelous, welcome to AH2 :).

Nope no elves here, just lots of requests for sheep ;). And a great community.

As has been said before, check your Joystick calibration/setting both windows and ingame.

When your looking to buy a new Joystick, well.... depends on how much $$ you want to spend. Top Flight control gears are certainly the Saitek (X52) and CH Setups. But if you dont want to spend a fortune on a Joystick and rudder pedals (yet), a low end (price wise) Joystick will do the trick. I myself have been flying with a $40 Speedlink "Black Widow" Joystick for over a year now and was very happy with it.

What i would suggest is that you get someting that has at least a headswitch (for views), throttle, some rudder control (twisty or rocker switch) and about 8 buttons or more. It also needs to fit your hand comfortably.
Force Feedback is (theoretically) supported by the game, but i personally have never gotten it to work and know of noone that flies with it.

As for plane handling. I usually recommend Spitfire Mk8 or Spitfire Mk9 for starters, since they have a good overall performance and a very forgiving handling. And do yourself a huge favor and disable the "Stall Limiter" in Setup>Preferences>Flight. It makes handling a little more difficult (since too hard stick inputs will make you stallout) but youll have to turn it off eventually (it hinders your performance greatly) - better not get used to it in the first place.

Now dont be shy to 'embarrass' yourself online and come to the TA for practice. Lots of people with hints and tips there, that will answer almost any question you have about this game. And we always enjoy good areobatics ;).

For readups, tips, "keymap sheets", radio lingo and all sort of other useful stuff - check out Hammer's Netaces Page.

See you up soon in the TA :D

>S< Schatzi
21 is only half the truth.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 07:47:52 PM »
Schatzi...err....Doctor....er rr...just where is Hangover, Europe anyway?

I vaguely remember being there but after having all those litres....well, I forget! :)

Marvelous, its good to have you with us. When you finally decide to come into the Training Arena (TA) give me a shout and I'll get you setup with yer new stick (got it, right?) :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 07:51:08 PM by DamnedRen »

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 03:36:23 AM »
LoL Ren, just call me "sweetheart" ;). No title neccessary. :D

As to where i live....... good old *continent* Europe, not that icy Jupiter Moon ....... 9° 45' 55" E   52° 21' 35" N
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 04:25:06 AM by Schatzi »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 05:40:04 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
Schatzi...err....Doctor....errr...just where is Hangover, Europe anyway

Hangover - easy to confuse german city names when having hangover from their bier :)

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 06:36:27 AM »
You dont know a real hangover until you have been at the "Oktoberfest" in Munich!

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 09:16:18 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
LoL Ren, just call me "sweetheart" ;). No title neccessary. :D

I dunno we might think yer a sweetheart but if i go to my doctor and call him sweetheart he might get ideas. Let's stick with Doc :)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 05:33:09 AM »
:)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Advice for newb?
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 05:45:31 AM »
Originally posted by Marvelous
First time player first time poster:
I am starting slowly and getting the feel of things in offline mode, I do not want to embarrass myself to much.  I was looking for some advice on Joysticks and what recommendations people have.  I currently use a MS sidewinder non FF
I have been playing around with the settings to get it so it is not sensitive however I have been finding level flight is very difficult it is like I am fighting it.  Are there settings I am missing or is it my stick, any ideas on the subject is appreciated.
Example: seems like any craft I fly it wants to dive to the right.

check your deadband & dampening settings on your Stick settings, check the rudder Axis and make sure you are not putting in any unwanted inputs by slightly twisting the stick while in flight when holding the stick, when checking look at the blue screens on the right and twist the stick. see how fast it picks up movement .

if it is instant slide the deadband up a bit( slowly each increment click ok, then recheck).

read up on post by Ghosth, who if I recall correctly also uses the MS stick type or something similar.

also turn on combat trim for now, until you get comfortable doing the manual trimming stuff and become more familar with the game.

Have you signed up and logged in to the online arenas yet?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Marvelous

• Zinc Member
Advice for newb?
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 07:47:14 AM »
I have not signed up for the arenas yet...I would like to get comfortable in the air and landing before offering myself up for target practice :)

Hopefully this weekend I will have more time to get some more practice.  I will add this though, It is nice to actually ask for help on a message board and recieve genuine answer's.

And with a enough practice I hope to give some of you a run for your money, but not just yet.