Author Topic: US Army brutality in Kosovo  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
US Army brutality in Kosovo
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2000, 01:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
Hajo, let's not forget that the US sorta got people employed, got a market for their huge post war industry wares either    .
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Well, let's do a little checking and see which country provided the money, through loans, to the "devastated countries" to buy those wares.

Then let's see which countries ever paid back those loans.

I wonder what would have happened if the US had just made all those wares available to it's own citizens, provided loans to buy the stuff and then not demanded repayment.

Yeah, that's it...I forgot, we were trying to hose you folks again.  Sheesh, my mistake.

Here's a list of the "suckers" we "took" in the Marshall Plan Scam.

U.S. Economic Assistance
Under the European Recovery Program:
April 3, 1948 - June 30, 1952
(Total Amount in Millions of U.S. Dollars)

United Kingdom 3,189.8
France 2,713.6
Italy 1,508.8
Germany (West) 1,390.6
The Netherlands 1,083.5
Greece 706.7
Austria 677.8
Belgium/LuxembourgÝ 559.3
Denmark 273.0
Norway 255.3
Turkey 225.1
Ireland 147.5
Sweden 107.3
Portugal 51.2
Iceland 29.3

Here's how we worked the scam (it ended up at over $13 billion between 1948 and 1952, a sum equivalent to more than $65 billion today):

Set up for a limited period of four years, 1948 - 1952, the ERP (European Recovery Program) operated through a counterpart fund.

The money contributed by the U.S. included currency for loans, but went primarily (70 percent) towards the purchase of commodities from U.S. suppliers: $3.5 billion was spent on raw materials; $3.2 billion on food, feed and fertilizer; $1.9 billion on machinery and vehicles; $1.6 billion on fuel.

The OEEC (Organization for European Economic Cooperation ) decided which country should get what (based on what each country declared it needed), and the ECA (Economic Cooperation Administration) arranged for the transfer of the goods.

The American supplier was paid in dollars, which were credited against the appropriated ERP funds. The European recipient, however, was not given the goods as a gift, but had to pay for them (although not necessarily at one go) in local currency, which was then deposited by the government in a counterpart fund.

This money, in turn, could be used by the ERP countries for further investment projects.

Most of the participating ERP countries were aware from the start that they would never have to return the counterpart fund money to the U.S., and it was eventually absorbed into their national budgets and disappeared.

...and we're still doing it today, right Dowding? The only reason we offer loans and flat out GIVE money to other countries is to keep our industry busy.

I guess it has NEVER struck us that we could use a little rebuilding in our own downtown areas and "rust belt" factory areas. After all, why loan or give money to our own people when we can GIVE it to other countries and then make our own money bqck?

Pretty clever...taxing ourselves to give money to others so we can sell them things.    

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 09-21-2000).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2000, 04:46:00 PM »
Toad:

What did they do with the money they lent?

Purchased equipment from countries that weren't war torn.

What country had the mightiest industry just crying for a market?

Sounds to me like a win-win situation  .

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2000, 07:50:00 PM »
So, a little girl is sodomized, raped, abused and murdered and all that is commented is:

1- bring home our troops
2- Serbs can manage Kosovo on their own.

to 1-) I'll answer. Yes, do it. Please. From ALL spots on the globe. And when all the finantial interests you have in 90% of the zones were US soldiers are deployed, are stolen from your influence then tell me how do you feel  

to 2-)yeah,serbs could handle the situation better. I bet they had left the girl alive to rape her another time next day. And all while Yeltsin was drinking his third vodka bottle and Putin was gettin ready to give a cheer to the Kursk's submarine crew.

Noone repairs in the REAL background of this thread. A little girl was horrendously raped, and murdered by an animal. That shows that not all US soldiers are saints, as many people want us to believe.

And the reaction to the post shows what does interest to each one. Not the life of the girl humilliated until the death, but the politics behind that. Not the fact that a zone in Europe is a war zone, with actions nearing genocides, but the fact that you want the peace troops back to home.

There are spanish soldiers there, too. 800 or so, I think. Yet we have to read or learn for something near that criminal action from that sargent and his group.

And we dont whine about our troops being out. bosnia has so much interest for us as for you, americans. In fact, less.

And if someone dares to tell about "world policemans" I will start asnwering about South America, About Nicaragua, About Panama, About Irangate, about Israel, about Vietnam, about Torrejon (spanish air base used by US troops until late 80's), about...

Dont cry about your "policeman status". You liked it for 40 years when USSR existed. DOnt tell us now that you dont like it any more. Sheesh!

God, how MUCH hypocresy is over this world.Stinks.

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 09-21-2000).]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2000, 08:41:00 PM »
Santa, you miss the point.

Yes, we benefitted. From OUR OWN MONEY WHICH WE GAVE AWAY.

How could it be any other way? What other country had any industrial capacity left? What other country had that much money to lend?

Would you have been happier if we had said "shift for yourselves...we're busy". No, then you folks would lambast us for being inhumane and uncaring.

We GAVE that money away; we could have just as easily given direct subsidies to our industry and our citizens. That would have been of much greater benefit to our industry and infrastructure than taxing ourselves, giving the money away and then getting 70% it back with commodities and hardware.

Would have been quicker and more cost effective...if selfish.

We did the same thing after WWI, if you do your research. We GAVE money to the combatants on BOTH sides.

Refresh my memory....give me some examples of countries that rebuilt the enemy countries they had just vanquished and never asked for repayment of the loans or gifts (as well as their allies).

To imply that we did it solely for our own enrichment shows a lack of knowledge of how the Marshall plan worked and our previous history of helping to rebuild after WWI.

Ram,

Read it again.

I said I would have HUNG that guy in the village square.

I mean it. There is no room for that kind of scum on the planet. And nobody said all US soldiers are saints, either, so stow the inflamatory rhetoric.

The thing most of non-US types are missing is that the "common American in the street" doesn't give a fig about "influence" around the world.

What influence we have doesn't come primarily from military prowess anyway. It comes from being the largest, most profitable economic market. Everyone wants a piece of this action....that's why we're presently powerful. In time, that too will wane.

I doubt the "common American" was ever excited about being the world's policeman. I've talked to many of my father's WWII generation. I've flown with the guys that were called up for Korea. I was "in" during VietNam. None of them seemed to excited about it.

But you don't live here, so you probably know more about the "common American" than I do.  

We didn't want the job and we don't want it now. You'll recall that the US public has been less than enthusiastic about sending troops to the Balkans.

IMHO, this is not because we are not sympathetic to the plight of the poor b*stards being slaughtered there over issues that stem from what, to an American, are essentially "ancient history" and worse, "religious intolerance".

It's simply because the "average American" is sick and tired of having to be the "world's policeman".

It's somebody else's turn. Let Spain do it for 55 years, buddy. Then we'll talk.

Besides, your troops are perfect, right? Couldn't make a better choice for the job....go get 'em, tiger!

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 09-21-2000).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2000, 10:45:00 PM »
RAM.....the bastards that did rape and sodomize that little girl should get what they deserve, as a matter of fact if you've been following the news at all the last many months and American Soldier also was found guilty I believe of molesting a female in Okinawa Japan.....He also received harsh punishment.  The US does lay it out for the world to see. Now about the Marshall Plan after WW2, sheeeesh where did you obtain those ideas that we were trying to make a profit out of someone elses misery?  Read what TOAD has stated in this debate, he gave actual numbers on how much the US spent, where it was spent, and what it was spent on!
If this is the attitude that people outside the US have......the hell with everyone else, the US could actually spend our tax dollars on the citizens of the US instead of giving it away to ungrateful Nations!  We, the taxpayers who supply this money, and those of us who served in the US armed forces never complain, or question when money is sent to Nations that really need it!  Believe it or not the American People are very charitable and will rush to any countries aid when needed. Food, Medical assistance, Rescue Teams for major earthquakes and floods etc.  And I've never ever, in my 50 years even heard of an offer from a foreign country when we have huge natural disasters such as floods and earthquakes.  And lets face it, when these disasters occur it takes more money to make repairs in the US.  When we lose buildings in Los Angeles or San Franciso they aren't mud huts or antiquated structures filled to capacity with people or equipment.  We have a larger and more costly infrastructure to repair also.  So maybe we should just sit back and let the world clean up it's own mess?  I don't think so....the average american does feel the grief when other nations suffer disasters and just can't sit idly by and watch people suffer.  It is not our nature,we do have compassion, and we will help when and where we can.  The US will always offer assistance.  And...we probably are the only nation that does it on a regular basis.  We handle our own disasters, and help those in need with theirs.  Doesn't sound like a country wishing to make a profit to me.  I am all for bringing our Servicemen home that are policing around the world.  They weren't trained to be Policemen, they were trained to be efficient killers in times of War.  They aren't suited for the Policemans' role, and I don't want any of them to die or be injured in some God Forsaken Dump half way around the World, for someone elses' stupidity. I'm not an isolationist by any means,but if our help isn't appreciated, then I believe it's time for someone else who's help would be appreciated, it they could offer help, take over our roll in world politics and charity.

[This message has been edited by Hajo (edited 09-21-2000).]
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2000, 02:35:00 AM »

I was reading in recent declassified documents on how the US deals with ungrateful countries. Like how the strategic, no-yield subterrainian nuclear charges are set along Spain's borders with the main land and Portugal. No point in killing the population. We just sever ya, and place an embargo on ya as you float merrily in the Antlantic. Further lack of compliance and the old Battleship fleet is pulled out of mothballs to strategically shell the new Island of Spain until it sinks and a rescue tax is put into place. Those who refuse to pay have to fend for themselves.

You know us lame Americans. Always out to make a profit.

OTOH it's nice how some nations of the UNO send just a enough troops to claim credit in peace-keeping operations but not enough to gain notice when they are yanked when things go sour.

I think the best thing to do would be to pull out, let them kill each other off, and then, in the true American spirit, take over their land and resources and make monsterous profits. Think how much better we would of been off if we had done that in Desert Storm!

[/sarcasm][/tnc][/dweebish][/artificial poltical views created to PO someone]

Welcome back Ram, yer a lil late for this one  

- Jig

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2000, 06:03:00 AM »

Originally posted by RAM:
to 1-) I'll answer. Yes, do it. Please. From ALL spots on the globe. And when all the finantial interests you have in 90% of the zones were US soldiers are deployed, are stolen from your influence then tell me how do you feel   ---->  <----
LOL, Finally! I baited TOAD! Wow. (hehehe)

anyway most of the message is serious. US has had political and economic interests all around the world since WWII, you can't deny it. Vietnam happened because US wanted. Chile coup happened because US wanted, Argentina militar dictatorships happened because US Wanted, South Korea has US troops there since 1945 because US wanted, Granada happened because US wanted, US attacks over Lybia in 1986 happened because US wanted...

Etc etc etc. If the common guy in the street doesnt like it, fer sure that his presidents in last 50 years DID WANT IT.

And that is a fact.

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 09-22-2000).]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2000, 09:40:00 AM »
That was bait?

I thought it was the usual "pseudo-professor" ill-informed anti-American diatribe.

Well, anyway, let's take a look at your latest...

US has had political and economic interests all around the world since WWII, you can't deny it.

Well, duh!  Have your history studies at University suggested to you why this might be the case? Particularly the "since WWII" part?

"Vietnam happened because US wanted."

Your History studies have surely covered VietNam during WW2 right?

French colonialism in the post-war era?

The Agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities in Vietnam on July 20, 1954?

The provisional division of the country at approximately the 17th parallel?

The fact that the cease-fire agreements also referred to "general elections" that would "bring about the unification" of the two zones of Vietnam?

The fact that agreement was not accepted by the Bao Dai (non-communist nationalist) government, which agreed, however, to respect the cease-fire?

The fact that the "Domino Theory" was generally accepted by the non-communist world powers? (You know what the Domino theory is, right?)

The fact that in December 1961, President Diem requested assistance from the United States?

That Australian, New Zealand and South Korea sent troops, to name a few other nations?

That the US had a signed military assistance treaty with South VietNam?

South Korea has US troops there since 1945 because US wanted

Your studies have also undoubtedly covered the fact that in 1943, in Cairo, President Roosevelt, Prime Minister Churchill, and Gerneralissimo Chiang Kai-shek together announced on Dec. 1st the "Cairo Declaration" which proclaimed that "the aforesaid three g reat powers, mindful of the enslavement of the people of Korea are determined that in due course Korea shall become free and independent"?

That on Nov.14 1947, the United Nations passed a resolution that created a U.N. presence in Korea. The resolution called for a "United Nations Temporary Committee on Korea" (UNTCOK) to watchdog national elections to be scheduled sometime before March 31st 1948?

That when the UNTCOK arrived in Korea, the special commission, consisting mainly of American allies, were met warmly in the American Occupational Zone. In the Soviet Zone, however, UNTCOK was not even recognized by the authorities there and was denied entrance?

That in May 1948, elections were held in the South? That mirroring the proceedings in the south, elections were in held in the autumn of 1948 and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea was born?

That on April 8, 1948 U.S. troops were ordered to withdraw from Korea on orders from President Harry Truman?

That on June 29, 1948 the last U.S. troops were withdrawn from South Korea?

That on January 15, 1950 Secretary of State Dean Acheson stated that the Western defense perimeter of the U.S. stops short of South Korea?

That on June 25, 1950 early in the morning, the North Korean People's Army under General Chai Ung Jun, invaded South Korea with seven assault infantry divisions, a tank brigade, and two independent infantry regiments. The United Nations Security Council resolution called for an end to the North Korean aggression. The resolution got passed only because the Soviet Union had boycotted that particular meeting?

That the way the UN Security Council works is not the same as the way the General Assembly works?

That on June 27, 1950 the United Nations asked member nations to aid the Republic of Korea?

That on July 7, 1950 the United Nations created the United Nations command under General Douglas MacArthur?

That today there are about 37,000 American soldiers who are stationed there?

Are you really suggesting that Korea would have been less of a world "hotspot" over the years WITHOUT the presence of US troops since the ceasefire?

I'm sure your studies went into detail on the Libyan raid and cleared up the following points:

That the actual attack concerned was a pointed response by the American government to what it regarded as Libyan-sponsored terrorism?

That on April 14, 1986, thirty-two American aircraft attacked selected targets located at Tripoli and Benghazi, Libya? Thirty-seven people were killed; an undetermined number were injured?

That the incident took place against a background of heightened tensions between the US and Libya, involving terrorist attacks in Rome and Vienna airports, confrontations at the "Line of Death" in the Gulf of Sidra and, on 5 April 1986, the bombing of the ‘LaBelle’ night-club in Berlin, leading to the death of one American and injuries to sixty-three others?

That the US had stated its intent to use force against terrorist bases and the US government claimed that it had evidence linking Libya to the Berlin bombing and to other planned terrorist attacks?

That after examining the facts leading up to the American airstrike and the relevant international law, if the Libyan government was indeed part of the plot to bomb the "LaBelle" night-club and if it was planning further such attacks on American targets, then the American government was entitled to act?

....and now Grenada.....

The trouble began on October 13, 1983, when the Grenadian Army, under the direction of the former Deputy Prime Minister Bernard Coard, deposed Prime Minister Maurice Bishop and established military rule of the smallest independent country in the Western Hemisphere.

However, the US IMO should NOT have intervened. If anything, we should have offered to evacuate any US citizens that wanted to leave and then left the area.

There was no threat to US national interest and no obligation by treaty or other agreement that required the US to invade. Even the Soviet/Cuban airfield was not really a problem...just another target for the Strategic Integrated Operations Plan. (SIOP, the standing US warplan).

This was a mistake in US foreign policy. I don't think any US writer on this BBS has ever stated the the US hasn't made mistakes.

US intervention in Chile through the CIA was also a huge mistake and illegal. It has taken the US a long time but our Congress has begun to act.

From the Congressional Record: May 13, 1999 (House)
Page H3112-H3141

INTELLIGENCE AUTHORIZATION ACT FOR FISCAL YEAR 2000

[...]

Amendment No. 4 Offered by Mr. Hinchey (NY)

Mr. Hinchey: I have an amendment which requires that no later than 120 days after
the date of the enactment of this act, the director of the Central
Intelligence Agency shall submit to the appropriate congressional
committees which are mentioned in the amendment a report describing all
activities of officers, covert agents, and employees of all elements of
the intelligence community with respect to the following events in the
Republic of Chile:
  One, the assassinations of President Salvador Allende in September of
1973;
  Two, the ascension of General Augusto Pinochet to the presidency of
the Republic of Chile; and
  Three, the violations of human rights committed by officers or agents
of former President Pinochet.
  The report submitted under this subsection shall include copies of
unedited documents in the possession of any such element of the
intelligence community with respect to such events.
   Mr. Chairman, I think that after the passage of all of this time, it
is appropriate that the United States Congress and the people of the
United States and the people of the world understand with much greater
clarity than they have been able to up to this moment the specific
events which took place in Chile which led to the assassination of the
duly-elected president and the ascension of power by a military junta.
  It is important for us to understand these events because it is
important for us to take action to ensure that these kinds of illegal
activities do not occur in the future.

The CHAIRMAN. The question is on the amendment offered by the
gentleman from New York (Mr. Hinchey), as amended.
  The amendment, as amended, was agreed to.

It took us a while, but it's all going to come out.

Argentina? You are referring primarily to Peron?

You know that Peron was elected in 1946 with 56 percent of the vote?

That he was reelected by a large margin in 1951?

That on Sept. 19, 1955, he was overthrown by a group of officers opposed to the corruption and oppression of his rule?

That he went into exile and settled in Madrid, Spain?

That in March 1973 Peronista candidates captured the presidency, and Perón returned to a tumultuous welcome?

That he was again elected president, and his wife became vice president?

Or are you talking about later, when Jimmy Carter, one month after his inauguration, began his human rights campaign by targeting Argentina, Ethiopia, and Uruguay for aid sanctions?

Ah, well, this cheerful bantering has gone on long enough.

I do have two questions for you Ram:

It's true that Bosnia and other overseas operations cost the United States $7 billion in 1999.

What was Spain's entire military budget in USD for 1999?

How much is it costing Spain to keep a huge 800 man contingent in Kosovo?

Oh, one other thing...

Are you saying that the US has done such a poor job as "the world's policeman" that we HAVE to stay on the job?

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 09-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 09-22-2000).]

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2000, 12:58:00 PM »
Jigster LOLOLOLOLOL <G> maybe spain could raise the "Spanish Armada" and increase it's influence around the world.  Just kidding <G>
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2000, 02:07:00 PM »
Toad,

From an amature historian to an obviously professional historian SALUTE!!

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2000, 02:17:00 PM »
You guys can jerk and piddle all ya want.
Fact is a GIANT asteroid is on a collision course with Earth and NO ONE KNOWS IT!

HAHAHAHAHA............

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2000, 04:23:00 PM »
humpf-some things are well taken others not. Lets see:

Originally posted by Toad:
That was bait?

the 1) and 2),obviously, yes.   see the smilie  

Well, duh!  Have your history studies at University suggested to you why this might be the case? Particularly the "since WWII" part?

Since WWII until 1990 US of A has been the key in any important world matter, along with USSR. After it USA has been the ONLY world ruler.

Facts are facts. You feared communism expansion and did ANY thing in your hands to stop it, Communist party was banned in USA (go freedom, GO), and you wanted it banned from the world. So you took the job of "world policemans" because YOU wanted. noone forced your succesive presidents to do it so. (and I dont tell that I'm not grateful about it).

BTW I have no university studies on the matter, but since I was seven I have read a lot about WWII and post WWII world. I'll never consider myself as an expert, but I think i know enough about the matters to give my opinions over them-

Your History studies have surely covered VietNam during WW2 right?

yes

French colonialism in the post-war era?

too

The Agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities in Vietnam on July 20, 1954?
[/b]

something less stable than Versalles'19. But yes. That too.

The provisional division of the country at approximately the 17th parallel?

Obviously NV took the "provisional" as a literal description  

The fact that the cease-fire agreements also referred to "general elections" that would "bring about the unification" of the two zones of Vietnam?

The fact that agreement was not accepted by the Bao Dai (non-communist nationalist) government, which agreed, however, to respect the cease-fire?

The fact that the "Domino Theory" was generally accepted by the non-communist world powers? (You know what the Domino theory is, right?)

all is nonsense in this matter. Because I am referring to the 1962-75 Vietman conflict. all you have said dont explain what happened in 1960s in VIetnam.

The fact that in December 1961, President Diem requested assistance from the United States?

Diem eh? lol, that was the president of one of the most corrupt governments in the world, one that passed human rights over his private parts. One that was feared and hated by his own country. He was a monster by any measure.

You supported it because the "enemy" was the communism. You supported it because you had POLITICAL interest in the zone (mostly the same reasons you always defended israel at all costs).

VIetman happened because USA put its nose in a hornet's nest. And of course you got the nose VERY red.

That the US had a signed military assistance treaty with South VietNam?

Today to sign that treaty with a monster as Diem would mean a political earthquake in washington...

Thanks god some things are being fixed by themselves.

Your studies have also undoubtedly covered the fact that in 1943, in Cairo, President Roosevelt, Prime Minister Churchill, and Gerneralissimo Chiang Kai-shek together announced on Dec. 1st the "Cairo Declaration" which proclaimed that "the aforesaid three g reat powers, mindful of the enslavement of the people of Korea are determined that in due course Korea shall become free and independent"?

Knew about the declaration, and the people involved. Didnt know the date and location. Again, it doesnt explain Korea.

That on Nov.14 1947, the United Nations passed a resolution that created a U.N. presence in Korea. The resolution called for a "United Nations Temporary Committee on Korea" (UNTCOK) to watchdog national elections to be scheduled sometime before March 31st 1948?

That when the UNTCOK arrived in Korea, the special commission, consisting mainly of American allies, were met warmly in the American Occupational Zone. In the Soviet Zone, however, UNTCOK was not even recognized by the authorities there and was denied entrance?

That in May 1948, elections were held in the South? That mirroring the proceedings in the south, elections were in held in the autumn of 1948 and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea was born?

That on April 8, 1948 U.S. troops were ordered to withdraw from Korea on orders from President Harry Truman?

That on June 29, 1948 the last U.S. troops were withdrawn from South Korea?

That on January 15, 1950 Secretary of State Dean Acheson stated that the Western defense perimeter of the U.S. stops short of South Korea?

LOL and eastern defence perimeter in 1941 for Japan was the Marianas and, exactly SAIPAN, Guam and Tinian!...was Japan right to take Saipan because fell into its "defence perimeter?"

Come on, this are wasted words, the thing is that USA had its nose kept into a FOREIGN country because, again, communism threatened to win a victory. You couldn't accept it, and you fought against it. Anything else, IMO, is superfluous. Fact is-USA had political interest in the zone-USA sends troops.

Again, world police in action. I dont say that south korea deserved to fall into communism, I say that when it was going to happen YOU WERE THERE because OWN reasons. nothing to do with korean people.

Own interests...allways own interests...Using a lot of excuses, but in the end, OWN USA interests...

That on June 25, 1950 early in the morning, the North Korean People's Army under General Chai Ung Jun, invaded South Korea with seven assault infantry divisions, a tank brigade, and two independent infantry regiments.
The United Nations Security Council resolution called for an end to the North Korean aggression. The resolution got passed only because the Soviet Union had boycotted that particular meeting?

That the way the UN Security Council works is not the same as the way the General Assembly works?

And as you saw that UN couldnt say what you wanted,you sent unilaterally troops to Korea, so breaking UN decisions and its ability to take part from there onwards as a REAL interlocutor between sides in conflict.

The veto right in the security council of UN has sucked ALWAYS.I agree in it.

Still if you want to respect the very same organization you just created then you MUST comply with its resolutions (or lack thereof).

Since then I think that NOONE has really taken seriously UN until 1991. Because USA and USSR were known to do what they wanted, not what UN said. Great isnt it?.

That on June 27, 1950 the United Nations asked member nations to aid the Republic of Korea?

That on July 7, 1950 the United Nations created the United Nations command under General Douglas MacArthur?

The guy who asked permission to drop an A-bomb over NOrth korea?...  

That today there are about 37,000 American soldiers who are stationed there?

Are you really suggesting that Korea would have been less of a world "hotspot" over the years WITHOUT the presence of US troops since the ceasefire?

No, I suggest that if USA has the role it has today is because USA WANTED IT for 50 years. and it is something not easy to let now that you start to feel tired because communism is not a threat.

Noone called USA into Korea, UN did when USA had already sent troops there. YOu did it on your own, so taking with you the role originally given to UN. And you kept that attitude until now.

Sure that world is now a better word with no communism. Still you WANTED the policeman role. You wanted it for 50 years, and sorry ,it is something that now can't be stopped.

I'm sure your studies went into detail on the Libyan raid and cleared up the following points:

That the actual attack concerned was a pointed response by the American government to what it regarded as Libyan-sponsored terrorism?

That on April 14, 1986, thirty-two American aircraft attacked selected targets located at Tripoli and Benghazi, Libya? Thirty-seven people were killed; an undetermined number were injured?

That the incident took place against a background of heightened tensions between the US and Libya, involving terrorist attacks in Rome and Vienna airports, confrontations at the "Line of Death" in the Gulf of Sidra and, on 5 April 1986, the bombing of the ‘LaBelle’ night-club in Berlin, leading to the death of one American and injuries to sixty-three others?

That the US had stated its intent to use force against terrorist bases and the US government claimed that it had evidence linking Libya to the Berlin bombing and to other planned terrorist attacks?

That after examining the facts leading up to the American airstrike and the relevant international law, if the Libyan government was indeed part of the plot to bomb the "LaBelle" night-club and if it was planning further such attacks on American targets, then the American government was entitled to act?

In short words: There was terrorism against US interests and soldiers. You threatened a sovereign country with the use of pure force. You violated a sovereign country's national skies and commited war actions against it. You killed a sovereign country's people and damaged its military, buildings and structures.

Call it whatever you want. I call it a war action, something on the line of Pearl Harbor.

If that behavior is done by a guy in real life, he would be sent to prison for the rest of his days. USA went ahead with an UN condemn (One that REagan must have found VERY funny, BTW), and nothing else.

I dont see how that way of action can be defended, toad. Really. I live in a land with the weight of a terrorist independentist group, and I will NEVER support the use of force against them. Very few things give the right to use the force. Lybia in 1986 was not one of those times. Even France and UK denied USA the use of their airspace for the attack! (Spain didnt...oh, well  )

....and now Grenada.....

The trouble began on October 13, 1983, when the Grenadian Army, under the direction of the former Deputy Prime Minister Bernard Coard, deposed Prime Minister Maurice Bishop and established military rule of the smallest independent country in the Western Hemisphere.

However, the US IMO should NOT have intervened. If anything, we should have offered to evacuate any US citizens that wanted to leave and then left the area.

There was no threat to US national interest and no obligation by treaty or other agreement that required the US to invade. Even the Soviet/Cuban airfield was not really a problem...just another target for the Strategic Integrated Operations Plan. (SIOP, the standing US warplan).

This was a mistake in US foreign policy. I don't think any US writer on this BBS has ever stated the the US hasn't made mistakes.

But is another example of same thing, toad. Granada could've been a propagandistic problem for USA, nothing solid,nothing real, but still was something not to be "tolerated". THere WERE interest there. Propaganda. To make clear that US would actively act against such things. USA didnt want another Cuba. And made a lot of noise to make it clear.

US intervention in Chile through the CIA was also a huge mistake and illegal. It has taken the US a long time but our Congress has begun to act.
It took us a while, but it's all going to come out.

Didnt know that the congress is in it. Glad , mighty glad to know it. BUt I doubt that 27 years after it there is much more than an apology to do. Still deserves a salute.

Argentina? You are referring primarily to Peron?

No, to the succesive militar dictatorships in 70's and early 80's. Had CIA support much in the same way as in Chile, but it has much less press than Chile (after all Salvador allende's assasination is IMO, one of the grimmest moments in XX century).

Or are you talking about later, when Jimmy Carter, one month after his inauguration, began his human rights campaign by targeting Argentina, Ethiopia, and Uruguay for aid sanctions?

CIA supported Argentinian militar dictatorships up to 1980s. Carter may have said anything (Uruguay?...CIA members directed the torture of opposition members to "extract" information from them...read about it, Toad, some stories about those interrogatory sessions belong to Mauthausen more than to Uruguay). But the fact is that CIA actively supported those things until 1982.

And I wont start about Nicaragua (sandinists), Colombia, PANAMA (please can you give another explanation for Panama? I'd really love to hear about it) CUBA (same)...etc...

All in all, US policy on South america has been a whole disaster, of unmeasurable proportions.

It's true that Bosnia and other overseas operations cost the United States $7 billion in 1999

Let me answer with another question....

wich was,exactly, the benefits on USA military doing the Yugoslavia bombings?...the weapons they tested?...the weapons they USED in real combat?...

2 sides of the coin.

Are you saying that the US has done such a poor job as "the world's policeman" that we HAVE to stay on the job?

NO, I say that US has done some good jobs and some bad jobs at the same time. And that many times "human rights", and "right reasons" have had nothing to do with your intervention, but only and purely USA own interests. Political, economical and propagandistic reasons.

And that after 50 years WANTING the job, now is a bit problematic to say "i want to resign". You wanted the job, you got it. Sometimes you did it well sometimes you blewed it bigtime. But you wanted the job and you got it.

the problem comes when USA people realize that the "job" its something hard to left aside, and THAT is my only point in this thread.

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 09-22-2000).]

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2000, 05:01:00 PM »

Originally posted by RAM:

Since WWII until 1990 US of A has been the key in any important world matter, along with USSR. After it USA has been the ONLY world ruler.

Facts are facts. You feared communism expansion and did ANY thing in your hands to stop it, Communist party was banned in USA (go freedom, GO), and you wanted it banned from the world. So you took the job of "world policemans" because YOU wanted. noone forced your succesive presidents to do it so. (and I dont tell that I'm not grateful about it).

BTW I have no university studies on the matter, but since I was seven I have read a lot about WWII and post WWII world. I'll never consider myself as an expert, but I think i know enough about the matters to give my opinions over them

Yo RAM, remember what happened last time soneone did NOTHING when genocide, violence, etc. happened and no body bothered to step in?

Remember the world's vow "NEVER AGAIN!"?

Sure we feared communism. It was not the utopian society that Marx had wrote in the Communist Manifesto. Why? Communism was suppose to come naturally to a civilized people. Name one, ONE single damn time that communism was not placed on the people by military force! That is why is has never ever worked! In every case communism was used to let the government take total control of people, with what seemed like a sound idealology!

Btw study the communist party in the US. It never went away, neither has the socialist and anarchist parties. They are just very very unpopular or very small in most cases.

Since WWII, the US has had "moral obligations" to step in as the world's police men. People hated us when we remained in isolation, when we could of helped during WWII. We set out to remedy that. But thats just one part. There are many others reasons, some were stupid or crap thought up by politicans, but hell, cut the US some slack. Then again, dont. No one else does.

We suck. And we know it. We functioned perfectly well in isolationism. Sure we would need to make some changes to go back to it. I'd like to think how much better off we'd be if our tax dollars were spent on domestic problems rather then foreign affairs. The WTO is just going to steal more domestic jobs anyway. Fudge other people's economy. We outta fix whats in our back yards first.

Btw I saw a Drednaunt class battleship being rearmed today. Hope ya can swim  

btw I just notice the title of this thread is very illsuited. It should read more along the lines,

"A few bad seeds amoung the thousands of moral peace keepers( who would rather be elsewhere doing what they are trained to and making good use of civilian tax dollars) in Kosovo in attempts to prevent further genocide"

But then again nobody would read the story under that headline. The Media is evil.

- Jig

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2000, 05:04:00 PM »
And BTW, my <SALUTE> and respect for your knowledge...

but I have another point of view about USA, thats all  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2000, 05:13:00 PM »
Jig, my only point in this thread is that USA has taken the policeman spot for 50 years. And used it at will repeatedly with good, non-so good, and BAD intentions.

You can bet that half South american people hate USA. You earned it, sorry but it is that way.

And because big blunders, you earned the lack of confidence and untrust of half the world. Sometimes you have used your "policeman" spot reaching true INTERVENTIONIST levels. And that only creates enemies, and makes some people wonder why has US to put its nose in their own matters.

I dont say that USA is an evil country. I say that it has used its power for its own interests hiding it behind the "policeman" job. It worked for 40 years...but now that you TRULY are involved in Bosnia only to help you find that people doesnt trust you.

Is it so hard to understand?