Author Topic: 2006: The year GM loses top spot.  (Read 2598 times)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
2006: The year GM loses top spot.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »
Toyota is clearly on the way to achieving profit. Losing money will soon be just a memory from the past.

Thanks for backing me up.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 10:41:17 AM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
Thanks for backing me up.
But they're losing money because of investment funked. Yes, it confirms what you said, you just failed to state the reason they are losing money. ;) Investment.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 10:44:11 AM »
you're all full of Muda

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 10:46:45 AM »
Sorry Thrawn, my bad.  I thought you weren't sincere in your questions.

I'll start another thread when I get a chance about lean techniques.  I say lean techniques because the principles of lean are not just applicable to manufacturing processes, but are applicable to any process.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »
Are you gonna give us a 5S class Stringer?

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Screw the Jap cars!!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 10:50:24 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
We tell them the same thing that we told Boeing Employees when we lost 50,000 jobs in 2002. Find another job.  Most did. Those that did not went to school, got a better education, and a better job. Unemployment is at its lowest in this state in 6 years! In 2002 it was 6.9% unemployed, now it is 5.3%.(shrugs)

Employment is is up...lets see in 2 or 3 years if that holds true!!
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2006, 10:50:28 AM »
Funked,
I've got a 30 mile one way commute.  I will look seriously at the Toyota Highlander Hybrid as my next vehicle.

I'm by no means an enviro-whacko or a leftie.  I am, however, very cash flow focused.  I look at the hybrid as a way to lessen my gas expenditures.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2006, 10:51:55 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Are you gonna give us a 5S class Stringer?

Hehe, MT, I only wish I could make a living at giving classes on it.  Hmmmm, Consultant type muuulaaa!!!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2006, 10:53:36 AM »
OMG! I find myself agreeing with Ripsnort. :eek: How embarrassing! :p:D

I would say that Toyota isn't really losing money on the hybrids. I take the view that the ones they've sold so far are part of their R&D programme. Think of those sales as part of their "user acceptance testing" programme.

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
Re: Screw the Jap cars!!
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2006, 10:55:03 AM »
Originally posted by Kaw1000
Wtg America....keep buying those foreign cars!!.....when GM and Ford go down kiss our country good-by...If GM goes down so does roughly 900,000
jobs!!...People dont reilize that most profits of foriegn car sales goes back to that country....also....they say"these cars are built in America"these statementS are great publicity for dumb Americans that dont know the inside scoop.
   Is it too hard to see that the rubber makers, the plastic workers,metal workers and so many others are losing thier jobs because these forieghn car makers are importing everything to make these cars in America??

This is the same attitude that killed the British Motorcycle industry.  It's also the same attitude that--to a certain extent--killed the Mac.  Keep buying those US cars, no matter how much they suck.  Pretty soon they will suck so much that you have no choice and have to buy foreign.  I don't think that this attitude is the only cause of the problem, but it definitely helps it along.

We are seeing this happen already.  No one wants american cars anymore.  Here on the west coast, I hardly see any american cars at all, seriously.  Lots of american SUVs, but the gas crunch is affecting that market even here in rich SoCal.  (Detroit was another story, I thought there was something wierd about the place until I figured out it was the almost total lack of imports on the road).

Originally posted by Kaw1000
Don't give me the foreign cars are built better than American cars..everyday I see Chev and ford cars with 150,000 to 250,000 miles and still running strong!!

Poor gas mileage, rattling everywhere, stodgy stale designs.  A lot of people care about these things.  And the 150K mileage thing applies to US trucks/SUVs (those big blocks run forever)...US cars are falling apart by that time, and no one wants them.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2006, 10:58:20 AM »
Originally posted by Stringer
Funked,
I've got a 30 mile one way commute.  I will look seriously at the Toyota Highlander Hybrid as my next vehicle.

I'm by no means an enviro-whacko or a leftie.  I am, however, very cash flow focused.  I look at the hybrid as a way to lessen my gas expenditures.

I have a 45 mile one way commute, but I find my 30 mpg sufficient enough not to give up a sports car feel for that of one that isn't much fun to drive! Your "milege" may vary. :)

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2006, 10:59:10 AM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
You do realize that Toyota loses money on every hybrid they sell?
I repeat:  Toyotas hybrid cars are not profitable.  It's all about good PR with envirowhackos and other lefties.

It's also probably about investment and some amount of long-term thinking.  People do want to save gas and clear out the smog (and not just the bunny loving wackos).  Toyota is doing a great job IMO of positioning themselves as the "experts" on hybrids, and when the demand kicks in they will be in the right place at the right time.

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2006, 11:02:34 AM »
Originally posted by Stringer
Funked,

why not look at the ford Escape??:aok
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2006, 11:12:08 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
Given the inherent complexity, hybrid cars seem like a mechanic's dream.

4 valves per cylinder and overhead cams and variable valve timing and distributorless ignitions are also more complex than your standard big-block.  They seem to have handled it just fine.

The ones I've seen are also tiny and uncomfortable.

That's changing.  And besides, smallness is not an inherent feature of hybrid technology.

I'll stick with my V-8 Buick, thanks.

And I'll stick with my 7 1/2 liter gas-guzzling SUV. :D  Doesn't change the situation though.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2006, 11:14:53 AM »
Later this year, you'll see the new, more powerful hybrid engine in the best selling car in American, the Camry, and also the Lexus hybrids go on sale in the US. The hp is double the current Prius model and the Camry hybrid will be made in Kentucky.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 11:19:28 AM by Rolex »