Author Topic: 38 Pilot Asks,how Do U Get Spit Off Tail?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
38 Pilot Asks,how Do U Get Spit Off Tail?
« on: April 25, 2006, 12:56:13 AM »
Alright i'm finally getting used to this game, had a couple five kill nights and a seven kill night the other day. Finaly geting used to views so now i can see u guys. But the problem remains i fly P-38's almost exclusively, and other heavy iron guess thats why i'm called ledpig, but when i attack a spit and spit sees me what do i do?. I usually slash through a fight pick out unsuspecting planes and blow their brains on the dash it's gratifying. I love to rip a spits wing off with the 38's guns what a wallop. But then if spit sees me, and i've missed, spit usually gets payback. I usually try to accelerate away in a dash and then make gradual climb then steepen climb as i get farther away. One problem but spit sometimes (ususally) catches me and blows my brains out (me no likee) sometimes i think i can outclimb spit but spit spotlights me as i go up and over the top like a deer in headlights what do i do? I don't want to start flying La's and spits i want to kill spits. What's a 38 pilot to do?:O :huh
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:04:32 AM »
I don't mean this as a smart *** remark but learn some ACMs. Picking unsespecting planes is fine and I enjoy it as well. But when you get caught you have to know how to fight, you can't always run away. Spend some time in the TA and learn to dogfight. Ask people in the MA to show you things also. If it's a good spit pilot, you're going to be hard pressed to beat him in a fight IF you meet coalt coE. Try to use your ability to hang on the prop and rope him. If a spit(or any plane) is on your 6, in most situations you'll end up back in the tower no matter who you are or what you are flying.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:22:59 AM »
SuperDud is right on with his advice. You cant ALWAYS avoid a fight. And while you *will* die a lot in close knife fights at first...
But imagine the gratification when someone comes zooming by, trying to pick you off, you manage to sucker him into a fight and pop him after a fw minutes of trading blows?

Mail the trainer corps at trainer@hitechcreations.com if you want to set up a session with one of them (highly recommendable), or just pop into the TA and ask for someone to show you some ACM (Be mindful that theres not always an experienced player in there, so dont be frustrated if you dont find a "perfect trainer" on first try). Also, if you ask on this board or in game, im pretty sure there will be people willing to go and fight you a few rounds - me included - to get you going.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:42:27 AM »
Well, you can't shake a Spit. That's the simple truth.

Basically, all the "ACM-yadayada" stuff presupposes the pilot behind you to be a nincompoop. Just do this, do that and the nincompoop falls for it, and you'll get your reversal and shoot him down in turn. The odds are, if somebody in a Spitfire is at least as skilled as you in the P-38, there's just no shaking him.

That's why most P-38 pilots prefer to fly in the stratosphere. Those that don't fly that high fly in hordes. Those that don't either usually end up dead.

:D :D

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 02:09:34 AM »
Ya it's not that i don't want to dogfight i just always thought that you try to dogfight a spit in a lockheed bad move, i'm playing to my planes strenghts i.e. speed vertical performance, thats why i don't come down and try to turn and burn with you guys in a truck, a 109 different story. I get away from every other plane and reverse and kill except the spit. I don't think any real p-38 pilot would ever after having made a slashing attack in a 38 would ever stay and dogfight a zero, slash back yes which i do repeatedly thats why i bnz in the bnz plane and tnb in the tnb plane. I'm trying to avoid a fight when it's not on my terms.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:13:28 AM by LEDPIG »

Skuzzyfied!

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:25:18 AM »
Even if you fly in B&Z plane and use B&Z tactics you must know how to turn fight in it. Otherwise you will die every time as somebody catch you (it always happens, sooner or later).

If you see you cannt outrun your pursuer - turn and fight. Even if you loose quickly if far better than die while running.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 03:44:53 AM »
Originally posted by LEDPIG
Ya it's not that i don't want to dogfight i just always thought that you try to dogfight a spit in a lockheed bad move ...

The plane factor is often exaggerated. It gives some advantage but pilot skill is way more important. P38 is actually a decent dogfighter.  

Look for 38 films posted in the Help forum.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:26:12 AM »
Well, you can't shake a Spit. That's the simple truth

You must be joking?
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 05:32:54 AM »
Im with Bozon on this. 95% its the pilot.

Given roughly equal pilots, the plane and how familiar each pilot is with his ride comes into play.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 06:28:27 AM »
use flaps and hope the spit pilot doesnt.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 07:49:32 AM »
While not a pro by any means, I love the 38 too. Most spits are easy enough by roping, but that dang spit 16 is a major pain in the BEhind !!

The 38 can be flown as a TnB with the use of rudder quite well, it just takes some practice. The "G" model excels at it. Learning to fly your plane....any plane, "on the edge" is what you need to do. Know how close you can push it towards a stall and ride the edge.

Scissoring with just about any plane can get you out of trouble. The more turns you force the enemy to make to get his/her shot the more chances there are for mistakes. As long as you aren't the one making them that is :D

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 08:11:11 AM »
Originally posted by killnu
You must be joking?

Yea thats funny.  U and I can shake spits 80% of the time and kill them!
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 08:24:09 AM »
I fly that way in scenarios and FSO ets..but in the MA I would go crazy flying careful every mission. Best advice I can give take a couple camps and fly something that turns well, and once you get good at it, you can apply those thing to other planes, for when things go bad.

~AoM~

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 09:21:53 AM »
95% its the pilot.

Yes. In other words, the guy behind you has to be a nincompoop.

I'd be able to shake off a Zero in a 190 flying low and slow so long as the guy behind me is a nincompoop. However, get a more maneuverable plane with a pilot at least as good as yourself latched behind you and nothing will work. Roll, loop, flat scissors, rolling scissors, desparate jinking, +Gs, -Gs, one-trick gear dropping, flap floppin'.. etc etc. Nothing works. The guy behind just chops throttle, and matches every move and blasts you outta sky.

It's just the way things are.

:D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 09:26:17 AM by Kweassa »

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 10:31:46 AM »
Alright another thing iv'e tried to do is fight alot in the vertical slashing back and forth on planes and diving again it usually seems to wear them down and they get tired and make a mistake. I usually dogfight spit not in the horizontal but the vertical stall out and whip around and kill him, thats what i usually do close in, try to drag spit along into this long looping turning fight and blow all his e and use my low speed rudder and engine power to whip on him .I have been climbing though and looking back thinking i'm going to see spit falling, and stalling out i see spit accelerating up to me in the climb, what gives?:huh

Skuzzyfied!