Author Topic: Poor Rush  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Poor Rush
« on: April 28, 2006, 07:48:13 PM »
Arrested again. I wonder if he hangs with whitney houston now, they seem to have alot in common. He seems to take drugs quite, er, liberally:D
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Poor Rush
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 07:53:29 PM »
Putz.  It was a deal to resolve the three year old investigation.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
sand

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 08:13:53 PM »
Wow! It's almost like he's human or something.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 08:19:42 PM »
Human, yes.  Hypocrite, yes.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 08:21:09 PM »
It takes a special kind of person to delight in someone else's medical problem and subsequent painkiller medication addiction...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 08:24:30 PM »
Well... if that someone is a hypocrite, hell yeah we do.

"Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be
convicted and they ought to be sent up." -- Rush Limbaugh. October 5, 1995

"What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use, too many whites are getting away with drug sales, too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."
-- Rush Limbaugh. October 5, 1995
sand

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 08:32:40 PM »
Sandman, how does any of that make him a hypocrite? As far as I know, he could have that same opinion today an still not be a hypocrite for believing that.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 08:37:44 PM »
Right, because everyone knows that cocaine, pot, and heroin are exactly the same as percoset.  It's really the same thing, going to a corner drug dealer for the first time to get your first dime bag, and going to a doctor for treatment for back pain.  And a month later, robbing a store to get more crack money is EXACTLY the same as dumping the doctor who got you hooked on vicodin and percoset and, out of the exact same shame that nearly every patient hooked on painkillers feels, finding another doctor who has a different plan than "just quit 'cause crippling pain is better than being dependent on painkillers"

I've been taking painkillers for a blown out disc in my back for 8 years now, and after spending 5 years discussing back injury treatments with dozens of people, some of whom depend on IV painkiller drips even 10 years after surgery, I have a different perspective on this whole thing.

Equating illegal drug use, and illegal personal use of prescription medication does not make any sense at all unless the abuser entered into the addiction for reasons other than legitimate pain control.  It is VERY well documented that Limbaugh's use started in a legitimate attempt to control pain, and like hundreds of thousands of others faced with severe pain in the US, he got hooked, didn't see or find a way out, and it got out of control.

I sit back and think "that could have been me"...  I recently tossed out over 200 pills, mixed vicodin, percoset, and some other pretty strong stuff.  I didn't use the stuff much because it has little effect on me which is why I ended up with so damn much of it, but if it had actually WORKED, damn it would have been hard to quit taking it.  I've lived with pretty bad back pain for almost 6 years now and it affects my entire life.  An hour without pain is a gift I cherish.

So yea I have a different perspective, and I stand by my statement that it takes a special kind of person to delight in someone else's medical problem and resultant painkiller addiction.  I've been there, I view the use of illegal drugs COMPLETELY different than the abuse of addictive drugs prescribed to treat real problems, and it could have been me.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 08:42:17 PM »
He broke the law to do it. That's why he's a hypocrite.

I'm sure there is no shortage of people that find themselves addicted to pain killers after they've suffered a major injury. Oddly enough, the medical profession can treat that too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 08:44:53 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 08:45:19 PM »
Could have been you, but wasn't.  He had all the resources at his disposal to get the best help available, and he instead chose to continue to illegally take prescription medication.  You continue making excuses for him; I'll continue to think he's a tough talking hypocrite.  I take no joy in the fact that he is/was suffering, and frankly I don't think he should be punished for what he did - just like I don't think any other drug user (prescription or otherwise) should be punished for abusing or purchasing drugs.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 08:46:42 PM »
You're seriously proposing that using illegal drugs like cocaine the same as illegally using prescription medication that the patient got hooked on, just because both are against the law?

Dude.  I don't think you really think that.  You're just looking for a reason to bag on Rush.

That's like saying jaywalking is the exact same as drunk driving because they're both illegal and both cause motor vehicle accidents, and someone who campaigns against drunk driving is a hypocrite if they ever cross the street anywhere but on a corner or without using a crosswalk.

I don't think so, and I don't think you do either.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 08:50:20 PM »
I'm not making excuses for him.  I'm pointing out that there is a HUGE difference between what he did, and what everyone is saying about how it makes him this huge criminal hypocrite.

Yea it was wrong and he's been doing the rehab walk of shame for a while now, but in no way is it the same as dealing or using crack cocaine.

That's like me dismissing everything YOU ever say about crime because I know you were speeding on the way to work today.  Sorry, it's not the same.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 08:51:01 PM »
According to Black, Limbaugh also has agreed to make a $30,000 payment to the state to defray the public cost of the investigation. The agreement also provides that he must refrain from violating the law during this 18 months, must pay $30 per month for the cost of supervision and comply with other similar provisions of the agreement.

I just wonder how many average people get investigated like this and then have to pay for the investigation.  I hope he's doing well and continues his treatment.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Poor Rush
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 08:56:38 PM »
It IS the same.  You make the moral judgement in the way he came to use the drugs.  As though someone trying out coke or marijuana for fun and getting hooked is somehow more worthy of being punished for breaking the law then he is.  Bull****.  He knew what he was doing was against the law, just the same as users of illicit drugs know they're breaking the law.  He had the money and all the opportunity in the world to get help for his problem, and he made the choice to continue taking the drugs.  He's a hypocrite, pure and simple.

Now, you want to give him more sympathy for his addiction because he started down this road due to his real need for this medication?  Sure, that makes sense, and I'd agree.  But it doesn't make him any less of a hypocrite.