Author Topic: 'Day Without Immigrants' under way  (Read 6548 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
'Day Without Immigrants' under way
« Reply #286 on: May 13, 2006, 10:47:26 AM »
Perfect. We're back on topic.

Er... almost perfect.

I have no idea which candidates I vote most for because I don't vote along party lines, but I always vote no on any new tax or anything that costs more money. It is my opinion that the state and federal governments already have more money than they need and I vote accordingly.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 10:52:45 AM by Sandman »
sand

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #287 on: May 13, 2006, 10:52:57 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Prove I'm wrong. You don't know the true economic costs of 15 million illegal immigrants and you don't know the cost of immigration reform.

One thing is certain: We are not ever going to deport 24 million illegals, so the cost doesn't matter much either way.

That's why I favor securing the borders first. We can build a wall, put cameras and sensors up and get the military down there to man everything. I'd bet we could stop over 90% of these criminal scumbags from sneaking into the country.. We can estimate the cost of doing this to a reasonable degree.

Will it cost a lot? Yes

Can it be done? Yes

Is it worth it? Our country NEEDS to do this, sooner or later. Well worth it.

Once the border is secured, give the scumbag, lying, dishonest criminals already in the country amnesty and get them all documented. They are here anyway and they are not going away.

From that point on, every illegal caught in the country is charged with a felony and deported. If they come back, they are prosecuted and sent to a tent city out in the desert.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #288 on: May 13, 2006, 11:08:52 AM »
Originally posted by Mr Big

Once the border is secured, give the scumbag, lying, dishonest criminals already in the country amnesty and get them all documented. They are here anyway and they are not going away.

You build that big wonderful wall and then you give the "insiders" amnesty?

Hardly... you put 'em back on their side of the wall.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #289 on: May 13, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »

I'd bet we could stop over 90% of these criminal scumbags from sneaking into the country.. We can estimate the cost of doing this to a reasonable degree.

That's the only crime more often than not; sneaking across the border. It's a misdemeanor offense.

I can't find myself calling someone a criminal scumbag simply because they want more for themselves and their families and they're willing to work for it. I suspect that most of us if faced with the same sort of poverty would do the same.
sand

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #290 on: May 13, 2006, 11:19:12 AM »
I think that giving them amnesty is the most practical solution.

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #291 on: May 13, 2006, 11:22:58 AM »
That's the only crime more often than not; sneaking across the border. It's a misdemeanor offense.

I can't find myself calling someone a criminal scumbag simply because they want more for themselves and their families and they're willing to work for it. I suspect that most of us if faced with the same sort of poverty would do the same.

Here in Maricopa county, it's a felony now. Our borders must be secure.

And I call them that in response to Lazs calling the people who hire them the same names. Both are breaking the laws,  lying and being dishonest just to try to make more money.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #292 on: May 13, 2006, 11:29:59 AM »
That's nice, but illegal immigration is not a state offense. It's a federal offense and the federal government will not allow the state to take action. That the SC struck down California's Prop 187 is an example of this.
sand

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #293 on: May 13, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »
well... we do agree on the fact that the illegals are doing what they do because they are trying to improve a very bad life situation.   They are criminals but... what are they to think?  they come here and once here... their "illegal" status is ignored and they are hired eagerly...They have very little incentive to obey the "law".

As such... stronger borders are both needed and... impossible to make 100% effective and.... probly costly.... not 10-30 billion dollars a year costly like what illegals cost but.... costly.

The absolute best way to do the most good is to arrest the real criminals causing the problem... the scum bag traitors.... the employers.   It is the easiest and most cost effective way.   Stronger borders are needed but only in conjuction with jailing the scum bag employers.

lazs

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #294 on: May 13, 2006, 11:44:18 AM »
That's nice, but illegal immigration is not a state offense. It's a federal offense and the federal government will not allow the state to take action. That the SC struck down California's Prop 187 is an example of this.

Well, we are already taking action. Hundreds of arrests have been made under the new law. Conspiracy to smuggle an illegal across the border is now a felony here. Conspiring to smuggle oneself falls under the definition of the law as it's been interpreted.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #295 on: May 13, 2006, 11:48:14 AM »
Smuggling illegal aliens is a federal felony offense, IIRC.
sand

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #296 on: May 13, 2006, 11:50:47 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
 They are criminals but... what are they to think?  they come here and once here... their "illegal" status is ignored and they are hired eagerly...They have very little incentive to obey the "law".

lazs

Works both ways. What is Joe from Joe's landscape to think? The laws against hiring illegals is ignored and there are hundreds of illegals standing on the corner willing to work. Joe has to eat too. Very little incentive to obey the law.

The small business is a victim just as much as the illegal is, but you can't see it. The government has allowed the laws to be ignored....even encouraged it.

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #297 on: May 13, 2006, 11:51:39 AM »
Smuggling illegal aliens is a federal felony offense, IIRC.

Tell that to Maricopa county and the Sherrif ;)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #298 on: May 13, 2006, 11:51:44 AM »

The small business is a victim just as much as the illegal is, but you can't see it. The government has allowed the laws to be ignored....even encouraged it.

It's called capitalism.
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #299 on: May 13, 2006, 11:52:56 AM »
Tell that to Maricopa county and the Sherrif ;)

That doesn't mean they can't enforce it. What I meant was that the states cannot make immigration laws that are more restrictive than federal statutes.
sand