Author Topic: Oil Change Instructions for Women and Men  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Oil Change Instructions for Women and Men
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 11:00:22 AM »
......!!! LMFAO

That's right "up" beetles alley I'm sure.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 02:01:49 PM »
Last summer while riding my V-rod, I spotted a car leaving a Jiffy-Lube and turing in front of me. The car was spilling oil all over the street. Lucky I saw it rather than riding in it.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
Are you kidding?  I know too many people who work in those places.  I'd never let them change my oil lol.  I go to the service station down the street that still has 2 full serve pumps and a full service garage on the side.  He charges me 25 bucks and I get to stand there while he does the work.  Granted sometimes I have to wait a full ............. oh, maybe 20 minutes.  Horrible I know.  I figure I'm helping support a business I want to see stay around, and I avoid having to dig in the backyard for the oil drain plug.  :)

Word of warning on that screwdriver through the filter trick.  Dont try it if the filter has been on there for like 100,000 miles or something stupid.  I tried it once, the gasket was baked onto the block.  Ended up smashing the distributor cap.  That was fun to explain.

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 03:23:11 PM »
lol.....

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 04:35:40 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
You mean your supposed to change the oil? LOL

No. Gave that up a long long time ago. too hard to get rid of the old stuff anymore. But I could relate to sticking a screwdriver through the filter to get it off though from the days when I did.

And my time is worth more to me then that

No for less then $30 I can bring it to my local Bon ee fide Mech en ech  3 blocks away and get the oil changed fluids checked,joints lubed given a general once over.

I drop it off. Walk 2 buildings over. Grab a slice of pizza Walk 1 building ovr from that to the local Indian owned convenience store, Grab myself a can of Monster and a single lottery ticket., flirt with the hot hot HOT Indian chick there or when she is not there bust the chops of her brothers and husband and tease them how when I win the lottery Im gonna buy Cashmere so neither India nor Pakistan will own it or any number of other things.

Walk back pick up whichever vehicle I brought in pay for it and go home.
In less then 45 min I've had my vehicle seviced, I've been fed and Entertained or otherwise amused and I didnt bust a knuckle or get a stitch of grime on me.

Well worth the extra $15-20 dollars

Or you couls have a car like mine and not have tochange oil just adda quart every now and then, and watch it magically disappear.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 04:48:07 PM »
The thought of paying someone to change the oil in your vehicle has always cracked me up.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 04:54:01 PM »
The thought of getting one's hands dirty just to save a few $ has always cracked me up. :D

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 05:04:25 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
The thought of getting one's hands dirty just to save a few $ has always cracked me up. :D

Noooo we proved that it doesn't save money:lol

What do you drive DMF?  Some Volvo with an aftermarket engine from Checker Autoparts?  Funny story about those engines...involves an 18 year old, a Talon, and about 40 grand worth of maintenance and upgrades.;)
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 05:12:04 PM »
a penny saved is tax free...
...anyway everyone knows that proper lubrication increases fuel economy & reduces the risk of trouble like swallowed valves & broken arms...
...certainly there are worse ways to get your hands dirty, like currying favor with the head boy at your public school

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 07:23:06 PM »

The thought of people trusting some teenager at a gas station to change their oil has always cracked me up.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline NattyIced

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 07:39:19 PM »
I do everything on my car. Changing oil is a breeze with an impact wrench. I picked up some mechanic gloves with rubber palms, cracking the oil filter is quick and painless. I'm done in 20 minutes, unlike any of the local places, and I know I put quality oil in plus put on a quality oil filter.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 08:07:27 PM »

Never been afraid to get my hands dirty. Most anyone worth a damn isn`t.
Saving money has nothing to do with it. Knowing it is being done right does. It is also part of the enjoyment of owning any vehicle, be it auto or bike, boat, plane or whatever. If ya don`t know what makes er tick, you don`t deserve the ride.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 10:31:57 PM »
Natty, why the hell are you changing oil with an impact wrench?  box wrench or ratchet would be fine.  Be careful putting that plug back in or you'll be investing in a bigger one...and bigger...and soon a brand new oil pan.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006, 03:51:17 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Never been afraid to get my hands dirty. Most anyone worth a damn isn`t.
Saving money has nothing to do with it. Knowing it is being done right does. It is also part of the enjoyment of owning any vehicle, be it auto or bike, boat, plane or whatever. If ya don`t know what makes er tick, you don`t deserve the ride.
I didn't say I'd never done it, and I didn't say I don't know "what makes er tick". But why have a dog and bark yourself, as we say over here. ;) Yes I've done oil & filter changes - always remember to grease the rubber seal on the new filter! But it's hardly what I'd call "part of the enjoyment of owning any vehicle". When I changed the oil in the old Beetle I had, I did not change the filter. And with good reason. It didn't have one! There was just a strainer thing that had to be cleaned out.

But the modern cars use very little oil, and with the modern synthetic oils there's no need for changes between major (18000 mile) maintenance.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 05:02:03 AM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:05:07 AM by Skuzzy »