Author Topic: WWII Online  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
WWII Online
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
Nah, they're just following the same model as MMRPGs like Ultima Online, EverQuest and Asheron's Call.

It is a model that has been highly successful.

Still, I'm not saying that we should like it.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI Series 2 to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
WWII Online
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2001, 03:40:00 PM »
Well rumors that have leaked out has it that it still has a LONG way to go to cater to the true die hard flight sim community.  Granted, they are still in closed beta, but preliminary reports describe a lesser fidelity flight model than AH and loss of horizon once you go above a certain altitude.

These are unsubstantiated rumors and may be false....or they may be correct  

Take it with a grain of salt.  For the time being, Im here  

-Ding

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
WWII Online
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
I guess some of players still have modem, some even 33k.
If that game will be 100megs what do you think those guys think if the file they just dowloaded last twelwe hours appears to be corrupted?

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
WWII Online
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »
I have been playing AH for about 2 months now as a means to bridge the time till WW2Online comes out. When it comes around I will probably been gone but I have to say this community is the most grown up and mature one i have seen in my whole life.

<S> to you all!

Broes

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
WWII Online
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
I have my sources, and they say the beta has a long, long, long way to go.

From their description it sounds to me like it would be lucky to be released this year.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline 54Ed

• Zinc Member
WWII Online
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2001, 04:44:00 PM »
A few points based on comments above:

1) WWIIOL will probably never be able to compete with AH as a pure flight sim.  Heck, the initial release of WWIIOL only has 1940's airplanes: Spit I, 109E, etc.  It will be at least a year before you see late-war aircraft.  And since AH focuses solely on airplanes, AH will probably always have a better flight model and greater variety of planes than WWIIOL.

2) Regards the money issue: a red herring, if you understand primary school math.  If I buy the WWIIOL box for $40 and subscribe for two months, I pay a total of $60.  If I subscribe to AH for two months, I pay a total of $60.

3) Someone's sources are going to feel pretty stupid when WWIIOL open beta starts later this month.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WWII Online
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm not leaving AH because it sounds like the FM in the WWII is modelled for the masses (ie, dumbed down).

But I read this:
"your subscription will entitle you to a FREE upgrade to add the naval ships and weapons of both the Allies and Axis forces of 1940."

WTF does this mean? A free upgrade? Does this mean when 1941 comes round you have to pay more? Will WWII have perk-planes where perks=$$$?

Free upgrade sounds a bit wierd don't it?

Offline Skybax

• Zinc Member
WWII Online
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
Guys.........

"The lack of attention to the flight model will prolly show as there is so much other stuff that will need attention"

"but preliminary reports describe a lesser fidelity flight model than AH"

"AH will probably always have a better flight model"

"it sounds like the FM in the WWII is modelled for the masses (ie, dumbed down)"

Some of that is speculation, and some it it is just not true.

There are at least a half dozen articles since Oct. 1999 describing in detail what goes into their flight model. I assure you the Rats are not building a flight model based on Crimsion Skies.

It is most certainly on par.

Guess for those of us not in closed beta we will have to wait and see.  

The limited plane set is a drag though for us die-hards who just like to fly lots of planes.

--------------

328th Fighter Squadron
352nd Fighter Group.com
Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
WWII Online
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2001, 05:34:00 PM »
Vulcan,
Yes, you have to pay for additional theatres.  As I understand it, units will be added to existing theatres as the war progresses and those will be free.

Look at it this way:

WWIIonline box: $40.00
WWIIonline monthly fee for 1 year: $120.00
2 additional WWIIonline theatres: $80.00

Total: $240.00

AH monthly fee for 1 year: $360.00

Total: $360.00

The monthly fees and the initial box prices are their announced prices.  I just used the box price for the add-on price.  The concern about having to buy boxed discs is a false concern, IMHO.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI Series 2 to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2001, 05:41:00 PM »
I'm signed up for WW2OL beta,and am planning to fly with my Squad mates of ex-AW Dirty Dozen(DDZ)along with some other AW refugees.The free beta is only for a week I believe,so it would be the time to try or else you might have to buy box to try it out.I'll most likely fly both for a while before deciding.I don't think it will be a great flight sim at first,but he scope of it all is amazing.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

MrSiD

WWII Online
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2001, 05:54:00 PM »
The only thing I've liked about it so far has been the sound system.. It probably will be the best released to online sims so far.

As for strafing ground troops etc.. sounds interesting. However if speculations about the FM are true, I doubt many AH people will stay there. The community will consist of people who play *cough* crimson skies..

Let's hope they do it right and all this is not just a lot of marketing BS.

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
WWII Online
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2001, 07:31:00 PM »
Ive got one word. Then ill run and duck any fireballs. I persoanally think that this should be in the O'club. I mean whyd we get the O'club anyway?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
WWII Online
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
I've been thinking that same but 'cause this has been very nice thread didn't want to say anything  

Offline Fokker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.inbusiness.no
WWII Online
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2001, 08:03:00 PM »
Players will always look around for the game that offers the most.

What WW2OL is described to be sure looks nice and I hope they succeed, but its a long way to go.

From what I read about the future development of AH it sounds like a lot more variety will be included in AH too. Variety is nice, even when the A2A part is your main interest.

I will follow WW2OL closely. If they succeed we will see a drift from other games like AH to them. Just as we have seen a drift from other sims to AH lately. Thats just how it is and HiTech sure is aware of this. He and his team will have to develop whatever is neccessary to stay in front, and I believe they will, so I dont expect to leave AH anytime soon.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WWII Online
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2001, 09:46:00 PM »
Skybax not true, I have heard a couple of beta-testers and they say the model is definitely dumbed down. In all honesty this is not a criticism, for WWII to work it needs to appeal to the masses. Theres no way an AH FM would get accepted outside the sim community. People would find it too hard - thats probably one reason they've limited the planeset as well.

My main interest is on the non-Aircraft side.

I'm actually interested

Originally posted by Skybax:
Guys.........

"it sounds like the FM in the WWII is modelled for the masses (ie, dumbed down)"

Some of that is speculation, and some it it is just not true.

There are at least a half dozen articles since Oct. 1999 describing in detail what goes into their flight model. I assure you the Rats are not building a flight model based on Crimsion Skies.

It is most certainly on par.

Guess for those of us not in closed beta we will have to wait and see.  

The limited plane set is a drag though for us die-hards who just like to fly lots of planes.

--------------

328th Fighter Squadron
352nd Fighter Group.com
Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney