Author Topic: WWII Online  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WWII Online
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2001, 09:50:00 PM »
Karnak, don't you find the pricing a little confusing and misleading then?

A lot of people have jumped on the WW2 will be only $10 soapbox... now we find theres a $40 registration (boxed product), and you don't get World War II, you get "Europe 1939-1940"-Online. Any more and you start forking out $$$.

When I joined AH, there were no CVs, no tanks, no M3s, no PTs, no Arados, and so on. I also get free scenarios.

Suddenly WWII is not the wow its only $10... its turning into a $20 and plus product.

I'm interested in it, because of the ground war. So I was thinking of playing both, but looking at the fine print starts making me wonder about the Rats...

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2001, 09:52:00 PM »
My prediction..AH and WW2OL will slugg it out for supremicy..WW2OL will pull out in front at first with low price rate and scope of battle.There will be a mass exodus(not from Jamaica to Africa..)of AW3 and WB's jocks to WW2OL.When they see the tank and platoon level combat,they will be enthralled!!Battles for the lower countries and the Battle of the Channel(BoB) will be too hard to resist!..Meanwhile at AH,FFB will be introduced along with vehicle tweaks and plane additions that add to AH immersion(or..X factor)..Then after a couple of months in WW2Ol,the bugs start getting posted and complaints on the FM lite a fire in the WW2OL forum..People squeak that it's too hard to fly a German ftr,or fire rifle bullets at German Bridge Engineers or to pilot a french Tank against the Blitzkrieg.Meanwhile at AH the community tightens up at the threat of WW2OL..People stop flame posts,start realizing that there is a war going on between 2 flight/combat sims and that is going to take no prisoners!!!<Well if you are a French troop,drop weapon and drop to knees with hands behind head>...
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline elstevie

• Copper Member
      •  http://stevenewing_1.tripod.com/bf109/
WWII Online
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2001, 11:46:00 PM »
<punt>

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
WWII Online
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2001, 12:36:00 AM »
punt blocked by the defense! Loss of down!

I like SirLoins scenario and it might be realistic - the community might just start policing itself when AH gets some real competition.

<----ASSASSINS---->

G10Whore

WWII Online
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2001, 01:53:00 AM »
WWIIOLs flight model is incredibly amazing and gives AH a run for its money.  As for the planeset, why complain about it only being early war when the only thing flowin in AH is late war planes?

I dont see too many spitv, seafires or 190a5s flying around in AH....

there is nothing dumbed down about it, I assure you

trust me

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
WWII Online
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2001, 02:07:00 AM »

Originally posted by Vulcan:
Skybax not true, I have heard a couple of beta-testers and they say the model is definitely dumbed down.

Err <cough> roadkill  

Hans

WWII Online
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2001, 02:22:00 AM »
I will try it for sure (hell, if you go to their forums, you can probably find my name in every thread).

That does NOT mean I will continue to play it.  Out of respect I haven't thrown a tantrum on their boards about what I feel might go wildly wrong and kill the game untill I actually try it.  If the flaws are not that big of a problem, Yes, I will switch.

I would rather play a combined arms game than pidgeon hole myself to only planes (I play all sims, subs, ships, tanks, helicopters, airplanes from WW-1 to modern day).

Hans.

P.S.  As a side note, if you go to the WW2 Online forums you see the names "WarBirds" and "Aces High" dropped constantly and respected very highly.  I'm MORE than certain that all these two-week wonder free trial players you see here are DIRECTLY comming from the WW2 Online forum to try out an online sim for the first time.

Play nice, and remember that the Cornered Rat guys and Aces High guys used to be the same bunch of guys on WarBirds.  Their buddies.

Hans.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 05-08-2001).]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
WWII Online
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2001, 02:33:00 AM »

3) Someone's sources are going to feel pretty stupid when WWIIOL open beta starts later this month.

On June 1st I'll start a thread reminding you of your assertion.  

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WWII Online
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2001, 03:11:00 AM »
  My prediction. If anything is going to give AH a run for there money, its TK.  If you don't like the chog? Turn it off. Don't want to fly with easymode players? Turn it off. Etc. There are just to many different things that people want, or don't want, for one game to meet all needs. If TK makes it online, all that goes away. You can set a game up anyway you want.  If enough others want what you want, your in business. Up to 250 players.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WWII Online
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2001, 07:44:00 AM »
.nothing here worth seeing in my editted post, move along.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-09-2001).]

Offline Degas

• Zinc Member
WWII Online
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
I've known about, and followed, WWIIOL much longer than AH.  In fact, it was advice from people on the WWIIOL bbs that sent me to AH in the first place.

There are many people in AH unhappy with the fact that ground and naval conflicts play such a minor role in the game.  These people will, more than likely, emigrate en masse to WWIIOL.  The die-hard flight sim enthusiasts will remain here, for the time being (my prediction).

From what I have seen, the FM of the aircraft in WWIIOL are every bit as exacting as the ones in AH, if not more so (for example, no padlock, auto-takeoff, or auto combat trim).  It's the size of the planeset that represents the major difference.

Another factor, not discussed in any of the threads above, is the fact that so many players in AH are totally frustrated that the design does nothing to reward teamwork and cooperation (other than perk points for winning a reset).  This is going to be a large factor in forcing online war gamers into the arms of Cornered Rats Software.  As I'm sure all will admit, the largest amount of posts we see in the country channel are people totally frustrated with the fact that their teammates will not pull together toward a common goal.  These are the people AH is going to lose.  WWIIOL's design is specifically centered around rewarding people for participating in strategically planned missions.

I believe that the die-hard flight simmers will stay with AH.  Everyone else will either move to WWIIOL or something similar.  HTC is, I believe, cognisant of this.  That is why we are seeing pyro and hitech in the arena talking about how they want to "do more" with the GV's and the Fleets.  However, without a mechanism in place to reward goal-oriented teamwork, my opinion is that it will not make much difference in preventing the exodus.

The hard-core fighter pilots will not be pleased with this, IMO.  The current AAA vehicle set will be upgraded at some time, and at least the 88mm guns at fields will be man-able.  A sure-fire recipe for PO'd fighter pilots  

At any rate, to answer your question:

I am a paying customer of HTC.  I felt I owed them that, given the work they have put into this fun and addictive game.

When WWIIOL comes out, I will continue with my subscription, until I confirm that it lives up to my expectations.  Provided it does, I plan on moving.  Sorry, Hitech and all.  I'm not a pure flight sim fan.  Wing-load and E-retention mean nothing to me  

Without exception, every person who comes up on our RW channel in AH is also moving to WWIIOL.  This group consists of a very few who have been around AH for some time, but mostly people who are fairly new.  For the most part, we are beneath the notice of the simmers who moved to AH from AW and Warbirds, which is just fine with us.  They are part of a much older and more well-established community.  We have a lot of fun, even if we are the noobs, so to speak.

Problem is, half of us are joining the Axis, and the other half the Allies.  

<Salute>

AG Sachsenberg

WWII Online
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2001, 08:31:00 AM »
Degas it was you and those confounded M3/M16's last night at 53, man everywhere I looked all I saw was Gv here Gv there. If I hadn't of lost that cannon it would have been interesting.  <S> was fun while it lasted.  

Offline ~Pyroman~

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
WWII Online
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
You guys made some really interesting points both Pro's and Con's.  After reading alot of this I'm going to do the same.  Just see how is it if I don't like it stick with AH.  Although I'm leaning towards doing both.  I'm in a awesome squad that I have no intentions on leaving.  Unless they move to WWII Online.  Thanks for the input guys I appreciate all the info.

Cya in the skies!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »

From what I have seen, the FM of the aircraft in WWIIOL are every bit as exacting as the ones in AH, if not more so (for example, no padlock, auto-takeoff, or auto combat trim). It's the size of the planeset that represents the major difference.

and

Sorry, Hitech and all. I'm not a pure flight sim fan. Wing-load and E-retention mean nothing to me

seem to be contradictory statements. No offense, I am sure you meant none, but these factors are more important to flight model than the view system and auto trim. Methinks you are confusing features.  

Let's face it, none of us that are at liberty to speak know what WWIIOnline has at the moment. I neither really knock it or support it, though I am skeptical of the likelihood of it being a "Holy Grail" of flight sims. In any event, everyone should fly any and all the sims they wish.

Offline Vosper

• Zinc Member
WWII Online
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2001, 08:58:00 AM »
I'll wait and see.  I really like the choices available here in AH for air warfare, but the ground (and maybe naval) aspect of WWIIOL is interesting.  I prefer the mid/late war planes over, say, something early like Brewster Buffalos  

Till then, there's Panzer Elite, and soon Destroyer Command and Silent Service II to hold my interest  

Cheers