Author Topic: HTC please  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »
never said those skins would make it to the MA, think Okinawa AH1.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 02:29:21 PM »
Unless you build them into the map itself (AH1 Okinawa) , I don't think there is a way to make skins available in one arena and not another.

So if allowed, would be available in the MA also.

Maybe a terrain/map maker can do it for you.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 02:31:40 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Unless you build them into the map itself (AH1 Okinawa) , I don't think there is a way to make skins available in one arena and not another.

By George he's got it!;)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 02:34:45 PM »
Who's this George bloke ;) .

Seriously -
I think you'll need a terrain maker to take it on, I wouldn't think HT has the spare time at the moment.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 02:36:03 PM »
I don't see what the huge deal is about making a few "what if" skins available for a few weeks of a scenario only...  Or even in a map, only, if possible still.  If that's not possible, you just take the skins away when the frames aren't going on.  If they're temporary (like everyone for them seems to have requested) they're not going to open any flood gates.  Some of you guys really need to get a grip lol :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 02:39:03 PM »
Vudak - How about reading the skinning forum guidelines on what will get accepted.

If there isn't time to build them into a map they'd have to go on 'general' release.
We would then have them until the next skins update could remove them, and thats a lot more than a few weeks.

I know from speaking to Skuzzy they are currently working on another patch that they are hoping will make this release 'stable', so I don't think HT's crew will have the time to build them into a map.

Once thats done they are then going to update the skinviewer, and then release more skins. Just can't see where the time for a map build is going to come from.

Oh timeline - No idea, 2 weeks?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 02:42:47 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 02:47:56 PM »
Vudak - How about reading the skinning forum guidelines on what will get accepted.

Kev - how about reading the very first post - where Cav asks that they only be allowed for the scenario...  I take that as another way of saying "get rid of them right after it, since they're obviously not up to the guidelines."

Why you and Krusty are getting all bent out of shape over this, I can't figure out.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
HTC please
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 03:42:31 PM »
Vudak, it doesn't work the way you think it does.

First, HTC has to vet all maps that co on the servers. You give it to them and THEY compile it, is what I gather.

Second, adding a default skin for even a handful of aircraft can triple or quadruple the file size of the map itself.

Third, HTC might not want to allow these default skins (for whatever reasons they have).

When you're in the SEA or AVA the skins you see are all "HTC approved," they are not just random skins you see being put into the map itself.

So, basically, if HTC doesn't want a skin, they won't allow it, or won't include it when it's built by them.

Otherwise the only other route is HTH, and with 8 players max it's not worth the effort to put custom skins in a map.

Skins in this game are not temporary. It can take up to 6 months to start, create, finish, submit, wait for approval (if you get it) and then only do you see it in-game. Skins are not made just-for-events, nor ar they for what-if events. When approved they are kept in the game until the 3D model changes and they no longer display properly. It's not so easy to just put a skin in and then take it out again.

Kev and I were "bent out of shape" on the premise that a mythical skin for a what-if scenario that would never have happened, using a plane substitute that isn't the proper plane would be included in AH. We've both done a couple of skins and we realize the requirements for skins and why this isn't a good idea. I don't call that "bent out of shape" -- rather trying to inform folks of what "the shape" is :lol

So far this has been a calm and easy-going thread. At the same time we were discussing things clearly and stating our reasons (both sides) etc. That's all. :aok

EDIT: Kev, P.S. Raptor makes maps, does that clear things up a tad? :P

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 03:45:54 PM »
I think you'll need a terrain maker to take it on, I wouldn't think HT has the spare time at the moment.

You're absolutely right. What was I thinking? Now where can I find one of these "Map maker" fellas:confused:

Offline Baylor

• Copper Member
HTC please
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 03:58:04 PM »
You may still have to spell it out for some.;)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »
Krusty, I didn't know anyone was asking you to make the skin?  Anyway from the first few posts of yours it just seemed like you were missing what Cav said, but thanks for clearing that up.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 04:06:06 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
When approved they are kept in the game until the 3D model changes and they no longer display properly. It's not so easy to just put a skin in and then take it out again.

When the 3d model is redone, the skin becomes obsolete and no longer shows in the terrain. Instead it will show the new default skin in its place. That is when we take the terrain and update it (poor skuzzy). Karelia was updated several times before the scenario, though that is something I would like to avoid.
Krusty, you make it sound like the scenario should be wingless ki-84s, m3s and jeeps vs the entire US planeset.
Now I will argue my case, for I tried to just let this be a teaser but you need an explanation. The Japanese, though they were limited to imported supplies, were not as  deprived of natural resources as you make it sound like. The last bomb raid of the war hit oil refineries in Northern Japan that, though not completely out of the range of B29s, were at the limit of how far the b29 could fly (round trip). They would not have had missions going so far if they had not captured Iwo Jima and Okinawa. Also the Japanese had a test site for airplanes inside a mountain and it remained intact throughout the war and was not effected by B29 bombing. The plans on the larger version of the 163, the Ki-200, consisted largely of wood.
http://aerostories.free.fr/reaction/Ki-200.jpg
They would not have been making plans for these aircraft if they did not have the resources to build them. Both the Shusui and Karyuu flew before the war ended, so they most likely would have been able to compile atleast one squadron of each.
The 234 is being incorporated to simulate several things. First off, the Japanese had plans for a jet powered bomber, which would have flown the kamikazi rocket plane within range of US carriers. Since Kamikazi attacks have no effect in AH, the 234's bombs will have to make up for that.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
HTC please
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 04:06:32 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Ohh and while your at it can ya add the b-29 ,f7f, bearcat, p80, twin mustang, and the p51 h.

:aok

Bronk

My tongue is firmly in my cheek.

LOL.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
HTC please
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »
I guess all these guys want German skins in the Operation Downfall scenario .

:(

either that or we leave out the 262's 163's and 234's ...

And Krusty your wrong ... totally wrong .
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:15:54 PM by Roscoroo »
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
HTC please
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 04:17:26 PM »
Well the Japanese planeset has so many holes... you would think they would let us give em a bone so they aren't completely outmatched by the US.