Author Topic: I think my dog is dying...  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
I think my dog is dying...
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 01:06:53 PM »
Rip,

I'm so sorry to hear about this man. We lost a longtime dog and had to put down the wifes 12 year old cat that had cancer. Both of them were great pets and members of the family. It's hard to lose one that you have known and loved for so long.

I hope your's recovers. It's all part of life but you don't have to like it.  :(
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 01:19:44 PM »
My condolences RIP.

It's like losing a Family member.

Hang in the Buddy.

Mac

Offline Scootter

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 02:06:21 PM »
been there RIP, dang tough stuff.  

"We may not
  be together
  In the way we
  used to be
 We are still
connected by a
Cord no eye
   can see"

"So whenever
you need to find me
We're never
far apart
If you look
beyond the horizon
  And listen
With your heart"

{For Kayla my Friend 1994-2006}

The pain is the love leaving your heart to take your friend to endless fields, to wait in the sun for his family.

Take care

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 02:18:55 PM »
I feel for you Ripsnort.

The family dog, who would have been 13 in Sept, had to put down a couple of weeks ago. One day she was fine and the next day she took a turn for the worse. Took her to the vet and the prognosis was not good. Old age had caught up to her.

When ever I went over to the parents she was my shadow > followed my everywhere, even if the house was full of people. She was great with toddlers and babies considering she was a Cocker Spaniel. Never growled or snapped at them, no matter what they did. A real 'people' dog.

She is buried in the backyard.

She is missed. :( :(

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 02:22:21 PM »
:( :cry I read this this morning and now my parakeet Butschi who is 8 seems to have suffered a recurrence of whatever he had last week. We took him to the vet last week, it cured him and he was almost his normal self but he seems to have gotten worse today. I am hoping he pulls through he is such a cool little guy and a member of the family. Hes sat on my shoulder as I flew on AH sometimes and would give commentary on my flying. It sucks when pets get sick.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 02:50:46 PM »
It's just as hard to give up a four-legged friend as it is a two-legged one.

Jake was my favorite of all the dogs I ever owned.  He would curl up around my head, at the top of the couch after I got home from work.  Half catahoula, one quarter blue heeler, one quarter beagle.  Best companion I ever had.

He developed cancer.  So we took him to the vet and had him put to sleep.

For three days, every time I thought of him, I squawled like a baby.  But turning loose was better than his continued suffering.

One of the best stories I ever read about the relationship about a man and his dog was Corey Ford's "The Road to Tinkhamtown."  One of the greatest short stories ever written.  If you've nevere read it...get a copy...but be forewarned...it really tugs at the heart strings.

This isn't quite in that league, but I think it explains how we all feel about our animal companions.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-121899.html

Regards, Shuckins

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 03:08:06 PM »
Grew up with a German Shephard always at my side.
Chang was a huge shephard and I will never forget him chasin buffalo in Oklahoma in his later years, or layin the neighborhood's tough guy tomcat's head on the back porch for mom to find.

Then I raised my own.. had two great Shephards ..Dino .. he acted exactly like the Fred Flinstone character ..just cracked me up when he charged thru the screen door barkin his fool head off at a cat in the yard.

Brutus was the other .. great dane size, pure-bred german shephard. I miss playin tackle in the front yard with him .. an watchin him pretend to sleep so he could catch pigeons, crows, sparrows .. anything that got close.

I don't know if I will ever get another Shephard . . I think I would ..when I get a place with room to run for him.

My condolences Rip and others .. I have been there holdin an pettin when they passed away, and yes .. It took me awhile to regain my composure.

-GE ( I agree ... it is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do )
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline PonyDriver

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »
Rip, my condolences to you and especially your kids.  To this day I remember losing the dog I had through my entire childhood. I get misty and wistful when I think about her.

It's a stark reality that loved ones die, I wish there were magic words to make the hurt go away..... Know that, in time, you'll look back on the times you had and laugh/smile.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 03:55:50 PM »
Prayers sent, hope he makes it

Its funny how those critters become such a big part of our lives.

Must be that unconditional love they pour on us.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 05:39:04 PM »
We just came back from the vet, with a living dog!  His hemogloban didn't drop. They said to take him home and monitor him for a few days. They think that it is a tumor that bled suddenly, but seems to have stopped on its own. (X-Rays apparently don't pick up tumors as well as ultra-sound does) The vet mentioned that if it bleeds again, it could bleed quickly and he may die, but for now, "nothing we can do for him except full blown surgery which is worse on a dog his age"....

He's walking around, albeit slowly now. He's not heaving and panting like this morning....strange! This morning I thought this was it!  Tough ol' mutt.  Thanks for your support guys....false alarm on my part but if you'd seen this dog this morning...

I just want to thank all you guys for your stories and your support. Gordon, my 10 year old and I read them together today to help us get through this mini-crisis.  It is heart-felt.  Now our dog Sol gets to sniff around the 4 ft. deep hole I dug for him...who knows, might be inspiration for him to live another year or two! ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 05:47:38 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline PonyDriver

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 05:43:13 PM »
Great news!  I love reading posts like your last one.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 05:44:34 PM »
i know what you mean about seen a dog this morning sir.  that's how mine was.  

great news!!

way to go doggie!
wtfg!

yay!

:D
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 05:46:37 PM »
Thats great news Rip.

Dogs arent just pets or possesssions for most of us. They literally become another member of the family. In the truest sence.
So when one gets sick, or you loose one it literally is like worrying or mourning one of your family.

I think alot of us. Including myself have been in your shoes at one point or another.
So we all can relate.

Great news
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 05:49:16 PM »
Rip.

Good to hear the old bloke pulled through :-)

Hope he keeps hanging in there for you.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 05:54:22 PM »
Glad to hear great news about your dog Rip
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!