Author Topic: Cant hit the side of a barn  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Cant hit the side of a barn
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 05:50:11 AM »
Originally posted by BugsBunny
lol, funny.  If you get closer than D200 on my six, you will die.  However, I consistandly die from 600 or 800 out.  Splain that to me please, lol.

Lag?

Probable he sees you d200 in front of you, but you see *him* still 600 off. The higher the closing rate the higher the lag/difference in distance on the two FEs.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 06:35:42 AM »
Get closer, and fire when you have the enemy in your sights.

Most new players think D600 is close, its not.

Fire short bursts, dont spray away all your ammo. Have some patience.

Practice.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 09:28:39 AM »
For me being on their straight six, it's always the smallest target.  When you think about it, dead aft or dead head on are the smallest profiles for the planes.

I could never hit that shot, no matter how much I practiced.  However, I did get good into making the target turn one way or another.

If the target gives me a good profile of his wings, he's humped.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 09:37:41 AM »
Just back in the game after several months in WWIIonline (helped me remember why I love AH). My greatest asset is my aim and lemme tell you I'm struggling a little bit as I readjust to this game after time off.

A little addition to all the great advice above would be to adjust convergeance based on the plane, mission, environment, and expected, intended targets. If I'm in an FM2 (slow turn fighter) I will set my .50s at say 250. If I'm in a P51-D, I'll set my .50s at maybe as much as 400 depending on my mission. I hope I'm communicating my point. This allows for my likely high closure rate on my target in the pony, or my in close knife fight in the FM2.

This approach has worked well for me now in my 10th year as a cyber killa!

Good luck!

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2006, 09:49:22 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Lag?

Probable he sees you d200 in front of you, but you see *him* still 600 off. The higher the closing rate the higher the lag/difference in distance on the two FEs.

Nop, not lag.  Lag seems to be the majical explanation to everything in here, lol.  I have a ping of 30ms.  Unless everyone that kills me has a laggy connection.  

I'll say it differently, if you are d600 behind me and I know you are there, you have a good chance of killing me.  If you get to 200, you will die.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2006, 09:55:47 AM »
Originally posted by BugsBunny
Nop, not lag.  Lag seems to be the majical explanation to everything in here, lol.  I have a ping of 30ms.  Unless everyone that kills me has a laggy connection.  

I'll say it differently, if you are d600 behind me and I know you are there, you have a good chance of killing me.  If you get to 200, you will die.

As far as I understand the internet - which is admittedly little - a short ping time itself isnt really that important and still doesnt insure theres no lag.

As for dieing when 200 off your tail.... yes, with some pilots i feel safer 600 in FRONT of them then 200 off their tail :).

You still haunting the DA every now and then? Id like to grill me some rabbit meat :t.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2006, 09:58:51 AM »
Its something I have to practice alot. If I go 2 days without playing, when I come back its as if I havent played in months. Just one of dem tings.

~AoM~

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 10:49:13 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
As far as I understand the internet - which is admittedly little - a short ping time itself isnt really that important and still doesnt insure theres no lag.

As for dieing when 200 off your tail.... yes, with some pilots i feel safer 600 in FRONT of them then 200 off their tail :).

You still haunting the DA every now and then? Id like to grill me some rabbit meat :t.

DA suturday morning here,  I ll look for ya.  

As far as lag, I would say it is impossible that everyone that kills me from d600 or more has a laggy connection.  

Ping time is very important in getting an idea of the speed that your messages reach the Host.  However, there are some things you cant see.  For example, if Nagling (TCP_NODELAY) is on and TCP Delayed acks timer is set to some big value (lets say 100ms) at the Host, you could see round trip times of up to 150ms or more with a ping of 30ms.
I'd say Nagling is probably on to allow for the slow modem connections to be more efficient but given the constant output of the Host, I dont think TCP delaied acks are plaing a role here (could be wrong though).
I guess what I am saing is that even though you are right and the ping times are not always representative of the comunications speed, in this case I think they are very close.  I would think that HT has designed this in the most efficient way so people can play over modems or long distances.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2006, 12:18:42 PM »
Originally posted by 999000
Ryan Sir, Its not "B52G or something" Its Sir B52G while we "play" at this game B52 is a true war hero....The MAN logged some 700 plus flights in B52s durring the Vietnam War was a gunnery instructor and live to tell about it!.  
It should also be noted he is one very very fine Gentlemen who I am proud to know. Next Time salute him for shooting you down...and then salute him again for his service to this great country.

O man if 999 had the B52 guns we would be dead instead of the usual 1.2 seconds down to .37 secs. I knew B52 [G] had to stand for a gunner.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2006, 12:30:44 PM »
Originally posted by thrila

600 yrds is far to out to expect a reasonable chance of shooting down a con.  

Wow!  That is bad advice and completely untrue.  I score about 1/4 of my kills from 600-800 out.  Even with cannons 600 is killing distance for sure.  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2006, 02:02:29 PM »
one way i try, note the word TRY , to get a kill, is to let off small blasts of 1 or 2 rounds. This lets you see where the bullets are hitting (If they do at all) And what adjustments to make. This works for me in the TA. Never had the chance to try it in the MA. Just an idea.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline volvo744

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2006, 02:44:18 PM »
Just takes practice. A little throttle, a proper roll, and just the right amunt of rudder a\has brought me into contact with plenty of barns, some hangars, gv's, and once a downed pilot running around the field. Practice, I guess. :D

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2006, 03:52:19 PM »
Schatzi, u mentioned that you should get unlimited fuel/ammo. Can you tell me how that is done and also will it work for bombs in say a Lanc?
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2006, 04:05:04 PM »
Originally posted by macleod01
Schatzi, u mentioned that you should get unlimited fuel/ammo. Can you tell me how that is done and also will it work for bombs in say a Lanc?

OFFLINE, go to OPTIONS > ARENA SETUP > ENVIROMENT > Arena Settings. Now my memory gets a bit hazy... look for items on the list that say "PlaneAmmoMult" in some way. I think there are two of those. Hunt them down and change them to 10000000 (ignore the whine about how max value is yadda yadda... it works anyway). If you hit SAVE, those settings will still be there the next time you log on (or log off?? since its offline). Plane guns as well as bomber gun positions will be multiplied - ordenance is not affected. For the planes forward guns, the number of rounds will be OOR (out of range) and never count down.

Id also change the FuelBurnRate to 0. That way you need not to worry about that either.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2006, 04:08:23 PM »
how about ordanance, can you change that to unlimited as well? If so, how? Im loking forward to blitzing a city with 50 4000lb bombs!