Author Topic: iran fighter  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
iran fighter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 01:43:24 PM »
think we or israel will get a chance to smoke em or will they be buried in the sand or flown to syria/lebanon when the fighting starts ...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
iran fighter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 01:58:14 PM »
That is a "Iranian Conquerer" to France...a "Iranian Threat" to Britain...and an "Iranian Target" to the U.S.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
iran fighter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 02:40:46 PM »
Originally posted by Viking

Looks like a F-5 clone to me.

Not a clone, a clone would be an exact copy. Derivative is probably more accurate. To my knowledge, the US never built an F-5 with twin vertical stabs.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline babek-

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.tripod.com/KG51EDELWEISS
iran fighter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 02:48:25 PM »
Since last weekend Iran is running a large Air Force Maneuvre.

Here are the pics of the Saegeh of the iranian TV:

Yes - the F-5 is obsolete - but I still like the design.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
iran fighter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 02:54:01 PM »
They'll be no match to a sharply guided AMRAAM AIM-120

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
iran fighter
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 02:54:24 PM »
In any event I dont think its that newsworthy, after all Venezuala is getting Su-27s. Having fighters is not unexpected or uncommon.  

Wether Iran could use them as part of an integrated air defence system, and sustain it in wartime is the real question.

I remember in the 1991 Gulf War some pundits going on about Iraqs large modern air force, that folded like a house of cards after the first day.

Bosnias modern air defence system that was easily defeated by NATO.

Ect.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
iran fighter
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 03:29:54 PM »
it looks like a target.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
iran fighter
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »
didnt anybody in Iran see Top Gun?  the F-14 rulz over the F-5

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
iran fighter
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 04:17:08 PM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
:rofl :p

Offline babek-

• Nickel Member
iran fighter
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 04:27:51 PM »
Originally posted by Airscrew

Yes - but we also have some F-14.
And the F-14 pilot with the most air to air kills was an iranian.

Also a nice looking design.

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
iran fighter
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 04:42:18 PM »
Originally posted by babek-
And the F-14 pilot with the most air to air kills was an iranian.  

I'm willing to bet that the only reason this is true is because the Iranian F-14s had much much more exposure to hapless Arab rivals(in their 60s era Migs) than did any other nation that operates the f-14.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
iran fighter
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 04:43:50 PM »
Originally posted by Neubob
I'm willing to bet that the only reason this is true is because the Iranian F-14s had much much more exposure to hapless Arab rivals(in their 60s era Migs) than did any other nation that operates the f-14.

Coulda had something to do with the US training the Iranians usta get too.

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
iran fighter
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 04:52:35 PM »
Originally posted by lukster
Coulda had something to do with the US training the Iranians usta get too.

Well, we are we're talking about F-14 pilots, almost all, if not all of whom, had US training of some kind. Within that group, this Iranian holds the record, and my point was that the fact that it was an Iranian that held the record, and not somebody else, was thanks exclusively to the amount of time they had to get the kills. Anyone else operating the Tomcat, given the same technology, training, and period of exposure, could have done the same or better.

If there had been an American Navy Pilot in action on the Iranian side for that whole time, the story would be different.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:02:03 PM by Neubob »

Offline babek-

• Nickel Member
iran fighter
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »
Originally posted by Neubob
Most definitely, although I think the Tomcat's technical superiority over the enemy planes was the key element...

My point, however, was that the fact that it was an Iranian that held the record, and not somebody else, was thanks exclusively to the amount of time they had to get the kills. Anyone else operating the Tomcat, given the same technology, training, and period of exposure, could have done the same.

You are right: Major Zandi, who made the 9 kills (according US analysis) or 12 kills (according iranian sources) had much more time for his kills.

He was trained by the USA as a pilot of the imperial air force. Also he was an enemy of the mullah regime which put him to a position where he had to fight two wars at the same time: One against the arabs of Saddam who were invading Iran and the other against the pro-Khomeini pilots of the IRIAF - especially his rival Badii.
But he was a true patriot and fought under this circumstances and often badly outnumbered and with lacking spare party for the handful operating planes of the IRIAF for full 8 years. Saddam - on the other hand - was the good guy in these days.
Mr. Rumsfeld was traveling to Bagdad, shaking the hand of this good boy and even things like the attack of the USS Stark by an iraqi Super Etendard with its Exocet-missile - killing more than 30 US soldiers - was forgiven in those days.

So Zandi was not only fighting against vintage russian made planes but also against european designs like the Mirage. And one of his kills was a Mirage F1.
He survived the war with the rank of a Lt. Colonel and died a few years later in a car accident. And until his death he opposed the mullah regime.

So that was someone an outstanding man because of his behavior in both wars he was fighting bravely.

And to avoid any misunderstandings. I have no doubt that our air force will be wiped out within some hours against an excellent trained and superior air force like the one of the USA. But do you really think that the wars of today are fought like old knight tournaments with plane against plane or tank against tank?

Still I like the iranian new plane - because it looks cool. But I miss the old camouflage pattern of the F-14. Now they look like all F-14īs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:14:21 PM by babek- »

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
iran fighter
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 05:26:46 PM »
Originally posted by babek-

We?

Are you a Persian living in Germany?