Author Topic: Fairness and Balance - A Myth?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Fairness and Balance - A Myth?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 09:21:55 PM »
Okay Kev, I'll humor you. How do you decide who's at what skill level? Obviously rank is right out the window, since stats are easily manipulated. What does that leave?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 09:54:03 PM »
apparently he is making a point... I thought he was proposing a new arena solution...

*puts away the ferrets and short-shorts*

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Fairness and Balance - A Myth?
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 10:01:29 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Only one just to plain dismiss/slam it without any expalnation comes from a BK, why am I NOT SUPRPISED.

It wasn't a dismissal or a slam ... but I am NOT SURPRISED at your reaction either ... after your congenial input in my thread.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 12:31:22 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Okay Kev, I'll humor you. How do you decide who's at what skill level? Obviously rank is right out the window, since stats are easily manipulated. What does that leave?

Wasn't suggesting it should be implemented.
Was just an example of why this whole "fair and balanced" idea, while laudible, is completely unrealistic/unattainable.
Although I think the ferrets idea is as good as any.

One country lets say A always gets the newbs, so if country A outnumbers country B by 30 players and a squad of 15 moves to balance the numbers, it actually unbalances it skill wise.

No easy answer, in fact don't think there is one.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 05:02:19 AM »
I could only afford one ferret... and it BIT ME!!! :cry

I think this is a great idea! Rank sorta works, but... well... you also got a point about how hard it would be...

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 05:46:00 AM »
I wub u guyz!!!!!

As for the idea I don't think it'll work. How do u measure skill? My skwaud likes to fight but not win the war. I'm sure there are many sqauds that r better than us at winning the war. BKs have some pretty skilled fiter guys but they are happier killing each other than assisting in base capture. So although they may have more "skill", the noob willing to auger bomb the base is more valuable in the capture aspect.

Also, I for one don't normally bother to attack bombers, I'm out to kill fiters. So if I see a group of B17s barreling in and just kinda shrug while the 2 week noob in the 110 dives in, in that instance he's more of an asset even though I could take a TBM and him a zeke and out turn him. It would be hard to make some guide lines for it.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 06:47:15 AM »
well what would happen, if using score as measure of skill, is you would just be splitting up the dweebs in the MA.....on second thought maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.  imagine the whines from squads again.....i *have* to fly for a different country, and against my squad because my score is to good.  i.e, i milkrunned a few factories, vulched, and launched rockets at a town from a pt boat.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 07:44:41 AM »
So let me paraprase this argument by kev.

Because balance can not be PERFACTLY acheved we should not even try , even thow things are MORE balanced by trying.

Give me a break kev, do you even realy belive this yourself, or are you just reaching at straws to come up with any argument you can against the ENY.

HiTech

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 07:49:16 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

Because balance can not be PERFACTLY acheved we should not even try , even thow things are MORE balanced by trying.

Give me a break kev, do you even realy belive this yourself, or are you just reaching at straws to come up with any argument you can against the ENY.

HiTech

I think its just a Freudian expression of his deep love for SHEEP in Pink tutu's and thongs.

Balsy

Offline Dastrdly

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 07:51:21 AM »
score & skill are two very different things! so how do u measure skill? how do u seporate the vulchers from truely skilled pilots? there are players that arent much better & know little more after months or years of playing!

for a period the knits were always out numbered & it seemed all the vetren squads decided to go on rotation (abandon) the low numbered side.

i think its up to the vetren squads to look for the challenge af flying the low numbered sides, help the game improve as far as equal sides/skill !

its only takes 1 hour now before one can switch back to origional country so i really dont see the harm in flying for country A,B or C if the numbers require it  !!!!!!

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 08:09:14 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

HiTech

Things as they stand at the moment are NOT more balanced, in fact they are WORSE than ever.
You've tried various things, nothing has worked up to now, this isn't either, all it has done is to magnify the problem.

I don't think I even mentioned ENY, it has nothing to do with ENY, I have no idea where you got that from.

Original post was supposed to show how difficult, if not impossible it is to achieve what your trying, as you can't base it on pure numbers alone.

Nothing was meant as a suggestion for what to implement, was just a discussion on the fantasy that is "fair and balanced" .
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 08:13:09 AM »
It's all about your opinion. If you re against the change then everything is unbalanced and aweful. If you like it, then things are fine and balanced. Just because I like the new set up doesn't mean I'm right. Just because you don't like it, means you are right. It's just your opinion.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 08:17:15 AM »
Originally posted by Dastrdly
for a period the knits were always out numbered & it seemed all the veteren squads decided to go on rotation (abandon) the low numbered side.

i think its up to the vetren squads to look for the challenge af flying the low numbered sides, help the game improve as far as equal sides/skill !

AK's use to rotate every month.  We stopped because we starting getting bad vibes within the squad because it was getting so bad with the lack of communication, kill stealing, etc... with other countries.  Rooks in my eyes seem to be the better of the 3.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 08:34:21 AM »
As stated previously..... measuring skill and implementing any type of balancing by said skill measurement will be just as flawed as any other method.  If not more so.

I for one always try to balance the dar bar's out.  I care not which chess piece I fly for and will switch at the drop of a hat.  I would like to say that I do this for the community good, however I really do it because I want to have ALOT of red planes to shoot at.  I would much rather get rolled by the hoard than be part of the hoard.

I really like the new arena set up.  I have been spanding most of my time in Mid War.

If ENY is a problem....... Just switch countrys.  I really dont comprehend the all the fuss.

Dave

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 08:34:27 AM »
Kev:

You are limited not only by country numbers, but by your skill level also.

Hopefully you all see the point I am trying to make -
Equal numbers does not mean "fair and balanced", but is more an illusion of it.

When you refer to county limits, you are not refering to our current ENY system?