Author Topic: Why does it take a SEX scandal to bring down a politician?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Why does it take a SEX scandal to bring down a politician?
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:40:33 PM »
:noid

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:49:09 PM »
That only works for Republican politicians, (Gary Hart aside)---when a Pub does it, it seems to be akin to a priest doing it--there is a higher standard/lower threshhold there.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:55:07 PM »
weird, i guess even the "irregularities" in Boooosh admin is still not enough to unseat him:p

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:03:55 PM »
Sex sells, unless it's some huge insider trading thing ala Martha Stewart, you won't hear much from the tabloids.  People want the dirt, the nitty gritty, and that's what a sex scandal delivers.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:22:26 PM »
Louisiana former governor, now federal inmate, Edwin Edwards used to have a saying " The only way I'll lose this election is if they catch me in bed with a dead girl or a live boy." I wonder if he really coined that phrase. Legend is he did.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:56:29 PM »
Originally posted by BTW
Louisiana former governor, now federal inmate, Edwin Edwards used to have a saying " The only way I'll lose this election is if they catch me in bed with a dead girl or a live boy." I wonder if he really coined that phrase. Legend is he did.

He did.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 08:41:23 AM »
Originally posted by 1K3
weird, i guess even the "irregularities" in Boooosh admin is still not enough to unseat him:p

what are you saying , that clinton should have resigned?

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 09:45:16 AM »
Perfect example of the power of a sex scandal being completely relevant to your political party.  1984, two sex scandals with young pages.  One guy was a Republican, second was a Democrat.  Both actually had sex vice sending IM's or e-mail as Foley did.  Congress was controlled by Democrats.  The Republican leadership called for the House to expel both offending members.  The Republican leadership demanded the the Republican offender resign, withdrew all election support, banned him from participation in Republican events and took away his committee appointments.  The Democrats did nothing against "their guy".  The Democrat controlled House voted only to "censure" both.  That was it, and these were two guys that actually had sex with pages.  The Republican refused to resign and lost his re-election bid because he was rejected by his own party.  The Democrat refused to resign and was re-elected SIX TIMES with complete Democrat Party support.

No, no differences here.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Recap

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 02:52:06 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
Perfect example of the power of a sex scandal being completely relevant to your political party.  1984, two sex scandals with young pages.  One guy was a Republican, second was a Democrat.  Both actually had sex vice sending IM's or e-mail as Foley did.  Congress was controlled by Democrats.  The Republican leadership called for the House to expel both offending members.  The Republican leadership demanded the the Republican offender resign, withdrew all election support, banned him from participation in Republican events and took away his committee appointments.  The Democrats did nothing against "their guy".  The Democrat controlled House voted only to "censure" both.  That was it, and these were two guys that actually had sex with pages.  The Republican refused to resign and lost his re-election bid because he was rejected by his own party.  The Democrat refused to resign and was re-elected SIX TIMES with complete Democrat Party support.

No, no differences here.

Yes, let's go back 22 years and draw comparisons.   Talk about reaching.  You want to be fair? Ok, go ahead and censure Foley only and bring him back to your little party.  Go ahead, I double dog dare you to do it.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 03:04:12 PM »
Originally posted by Recap
Yes, let's go back 22 years and draw comparisons.   Talk about reaching.  You want to be fair? Ok, go ahead and censure Foley only and bring him back to your little party.  Go ahead, I double dog dare you to do it.

Except that Studds stayed in office until only 9 years ago. There has been plenty of time for everyone today to become outraged when Studds carried out the act that Foley only wanted to. There's no avoiding it. Democrats today hold a different standard for themselves than they do for Republicans. Do you deny this?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 03:47:11 PM »
Modesto Congressman Gary Condit was forced from office by the electorate.  Circa 2002.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 03:55:13 PM »

or

why doesent a WAR scandal bring down a politician?
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 04:09:54 PM »
Originally posted by Gh0stFT

or

why doesent a WAR scandal bring down a politician?

Because there isn't a war scandal dummy, just a bunch of lefties that can't stand being out of power.
Mace

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 04:34:50 PM »
Originally posted by Recap

Typical...just ignore history when it's an inconvient truth (to steal a phrase from a Democrat moron).

Also, you're not paying attention to what I said.  It was the Democrat controlled congress that chose to only censure both of these pinheads.  The censure vote was the only vote the Dems would allow to come up.  It was the Republicans that tried to have them both expelled.  Also, let me make a small correction.  The Dems did take away their guy's chairmanship of a sub-committee, I was mistaken on the specifics.  Of course they then gave him chairmanship of a major committee (i.e., a promotion).

Nobody has ever claimed that individuals are not human and perfect, the difference is how Democrats will forgive anything from one of their own just as long as they toe the party line.  For example, look at how the Dems have excoriated their own vice-presidential candidate Joe Lieberman just because he disagrees with them on one issue.  As a general rule Republicans, although far from a perfect party, have historically been far more likely to put right ahead of wrong and the interests of the party.  Many people make major mistakes based on sex or greed but a political party that knowingly and willfully "excuses" them for political expediency and gain is corrupt at the core.
Mace

Offline Recap

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 04:52:43 PM »
Originally posted by lukster
Except that Studds stayed in office until only 9 years ago. There has been plenty of time for everyone today to become outraged when Studds carried out the act that Foley only wanted to. There's no avoiding it. Democrats today hold a different standard for themselves than they do for Republicans. Do you deny this?

The question is, why do you think one should have anything to do with the other?  Have you asked yourself why it matters to you what happened with Stubbs?  Are you looking for some type of justification for Foley's actions?  Do you think that this all of some type of Democratic political scheme? What has caused you make comparisons to "the other party".  Does this somehow let your party off the hook?  I just don't get it.

I don't know all the details of the Stubbs case, but I read on Wikpedia he was openly gay, it was consensual, the person was of age, blah blah blah. Stubbs was re-elected because I assume he is from some area where there is a large gay constituency, and guess what, you won't find many gay republicans.  I said you won't find many, apparently not that there aren't any.  People basically looked at the situation, saw it for whatever it was, and decided that he could still be a representitive of Congress.  I don't know, and I don't care.

Now let's examine Foley's case.  He was not openly gay, he was making sexual advances (heck if i know how you describe what he was doing) to an underage page etc.. I'm not sure he broke any laws.  Like Stubbs, extremely stupid, poor judgement, etc.. So, I ask you once again, why are you deflecting attention away from Foley and onto Stubbs case. What is the big injustice to you and your party from the Stubbs case that somehow relates to the Foley case.   I'm cool with just censuring him, and letting the voters vote him out if they want to.  Let the chips fall where they lie like Stubbs.  

I just don't understand this trend where republicans blame someone else for their own problems, "Foley did it, yea but, but, so did Stubbs!!!" Republicans take responsibility for absolutely nothing.  All their time and energy is focused on finding someone other than themselves to blame.  You may think I'm defending the Democrats.  I'm not, I could care less about them.  They are not the ones in control.  They are so weak it's not even funny.  However, they are going to win it back because it's a two party system, and when the other party screws up so bad then the voters are left with the worse of two evils.  See George W.