Author Topic: Groundloops  (Read 4887 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Groundloops
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2006, 04:03:31 AM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
No such thing as a "Tail dragger rating."  Next specious statement?

That's correct, it's a tailwheel endorsement that allows you to consider yourself taildragger rated.

Offline nick172

• Zinc Member
Groundloops
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2006, 08:50:41 AM »
Hitech,

1. Having to get back out of the air plane, just because you left the key in your pocket and can't reach it while in your plane.

I hate that!!!!

2. Having to dispose of other peoples air sick bags. Allthow track IR has that effect on me.

Once threw one out of the window of a 172 while flying over midland MI, because it was making everyone else sick

3. Having to get out the jumper cables because some one left the master switch on.

Quite a fan in the winter months, I need a new battery.

5. The bloody brightness control on the gps, that I never seem to rember how it works when it is all dark and you can't see the display to adjust it in the first place.

You would think they would make the screen red so it would not screw with your night sight, I put a piece of red plastic over my screen, really helps.

Nick

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2006, 11:49:35 AM »
Originally posted by FLS
That's correct, it's a tailwheel endorsement that allows you to consider yourself taildragger rated.

You're not nick172. Still waiting for him to reply.
Show me any reg that references a "taildragger rating."
Show me any reg that says you can "consider yourself rated" for anything.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Groundloops
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2006, 12:07:13 PM »
Not to bring this up again, but has anyone noticed that when any of the aircraft is in auto-takeoff mode, you see a simultaneous application of aileron and rudder to counter torque? I've got quite a bit of tail-dragger time, and i've never been told to use aileron to counteract torque.

Just lotta right rudder.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Groundloops
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2006, 12:16:30 PM »
Wolfala: Thats just how the auto pilot controls the plane. Any roll in the plane will cause the ailerons to deflect the opposite way. The engine will roll the plane very slightly do to torque.

And btw you are using the very loose definition of "Torque" ,when you apply rudder you are mostly correcting for slip stream at the start of the take off roll.

Engine torque only creates a very very minor yaw effect do to tire friction being greater on one tire vs the other do to the rolling motion of the engine torque.

HiTech
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 12:18:35 PM by hitech »

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2006, 12:20:21 PM »
You should set tire friction to 0 one day, just for fun. I can see a lot of excitement out of that. It'd be quasi realistic, seeing as it's coming into winter now.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2006, 12:35:21 PM »
You can bind the left and right brakes.  I never once groundlooped once I did this.

Ever.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline nick172

• Zinc Member
Groundloops
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2006, 12:41:38 PM »
jigsaw,

Correct its an endorsement, but I am "rated" to fly a taildragger, Are you even a pilot? if not go play with your computer planes and stop giving me flak.

Nick172

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
Groundloops
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2006, 01:36:57 PM »
The only plane I can't land very well is the F4U series.  Especially the CHog.

So I just bring her in nice and slow with full flaps and belly land her ;-)

It stops much quicker that way ;-)

Softail

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
Groundloops
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »
Originally posted by Softail
The only plane I can't land very well is the F4U series.  Especially the CHog.

So I just bring her in nice and slow with full flaps and belly land her ;-)

It stops much quicker that way ;-)

Softail

its easy.. just b4 u land chop throttle and let it roll a little bit then pull up on the joystick to lock the wheels then apply brakes..
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Groundloops
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »
I've ground looped the Mossie more times than I want to think about, both landing and taking off.

I've also ground looped the Spit XIV an awful lot.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2006, 05:00:18 PM »
Originally posted by nick172
jigsaw,

Correct its an endorsement, but I am "rated" to fly a taildragger, Are you even a pilot? if not go play with your computer planes and stop giving me flak.

Nick172

You're still not "rated" to fly a tail dragger.

Pilot school 101. There's a difference between endorsement, license, rating, category, class, etc. If you're going to spout off in a thread, have your facts straight and use correct terminology.  Don't be a numpty.

I'm I a pilot? Maybe, maybe not. Either way it doesn't change the facts as you stated them.  I'm not giving you flak. I'm attempting to correct misinformation.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Groundloops
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2006, 05:06:14 PM »
I'm taildragger rated.  Sure beats saying "endorsed"

After all...I'm sure the word "license" has slipped out of your mouth a time or two instead of certificate.  I'll let the man be rated.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Groundloops
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2006, 06:05:01 PM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
You're not nick172. Still waiting for him to reply.
Show me any reg that references a "taildragger rating."
Show me any reg that says you can "consider yourself rated" for anything.

I'm reminded of my earlier contribution to this thread: Nitpicking inconsequential aspects of somebody else's work is a perfectly legitimate hobby.

I missed the reg that says posts have to exactly match regulations.  I did know the part about me not being nick172 but it's always good to be reminded. Perhaps I was wrong to assume that nick172's correct information could be properly expressed in language commonly used by pilots. My correction was tongue in cheek in case you missed that. If you were a pilot you would have recognized his usage. It's slang. It's like when people say "anal-retentive" they don't usually mean it in the clinical sense, it's a slang usage and most people understand what is meant.

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2006, 06:45:58 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer

After all...I'm sure the word "license" has slipped out of your mouth a time or two instead of certificate.

You'd be wrong. I don't use either.

Originally posted by FLS
I'm reminded of my earlier contribution to this thread: Nitpicking inconsequential aspects of somebody else's work is a perfectly legitimate hobby.

Apparently it's perfectly all right to be wrong about something as long as everyone else who's wrong agrees with you. God forbid someone should try to inject correct information into a topic.

Originally posted by FLS
If you were a pilot you would have recognized his usage.

Funny that I don't recognize his usage. Yes, I did miss the tongue in cheek part of your post. Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:48:11 PM by jigsaw »